• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

After Market Seat

kurtnocal

The time has come for my wife and I to upgrade our seats. She is acutally making a spread sheet for the task of selecting the new saddle. Looking for your experiences, thoughts and comments on what you like don't like about yours. Was the manufacturer pleasant to work with, value, comfort, quality of work and materiels, etc. Foam, gel, heated, etc. You get the idea. We seem to be looking at the usual suspects out here in the west. Both of the Mayer brothers, Bill and Rick, Sargent, Corbin, Saddlemen and Kahedo from the Motherland. Thanks much and if anyone wants the completed spreadsheet let me know.

Picked up a used Sargent seat, and have used it for some long trips. Far more comfortable that the stock seat but still need to use an airhawk for anything beyond a couple hours.

Picked up a used Sargent seat, and have used it for some long trips. Far more comfortable that the stock seat but still need to use an airhawk for anything beyond a couple hours.

Thanks much. That helps. I was thinking about just going with an Airhawk on the stock seat for a bit myself.

A saddle is like shoes. We can tell you about materials, finish, overall quality, etc... but shoes that fit me perfectly may be the most uncomfortable thing ever for you.

Corbin: my experience is decades old. The material did not hold up to sun exposure very well. My work office moved and the bike went from being parked in a garage to being parked outside. Didn't take long for the material to break down.

Sargent: A better quality saddle, IMHO, when compared to the Corbin. I ordered mine in what they call CarbonFX. I also ordered it without welts. It held up much better than the corbin saddle and was still in excellent shape when I sold the bike about 3 years after purchasing the saddle.

Alaska leather sheepskin buttpad: The "deluxe" one piece version has held up exceedingly well. I added one to a stock '05 GS about 70 thousand miles ago. Still using it. The "elastic" strap is stretched out. I found it easy to work around that issue.

I went up north and had them build a Russell for me. And rode back 900+ miles. And hated that seat so much I sold it immediately.
It was like sitting in a hole.
But others swear by them.
I need something like the Cloud 9 bicycle seat. Just a little wider than stock at the back, and flat or curved down. That way I can maneuver on the bike. Rather than being stuck in a hole.
dc

Bill Mayer for my 1200gs sinse sold, made a terrible seat comfortable
Saddleman for my wife's c650gt great service, comfortable, stock seat was good but they lowered by an inch and added gel insert, now it's a great seat

I went way north, in a lot of rain, to Rich's in Kingston WA.
I'm very satisfied.

IMG_0729.jpg

I have Rick Mayer as well, last three years, very happy with it.

I'm entirely happy with my Rick Mayer seat, four years and still as comfy as the day he made it for me.

In the past had one Sargent (R1150R), comfortable but since it was an 'off the shelf' item it was less than perfect, but it was well constructed. Prior to that, two Corbins, one on a old GS1000S Suzook, and a few years later on a Ducati 900SS. The GS seat was okay, but in my opinion was less comfortable than stock Suzuki seats of that era. The Duc seat was made custom for me, and took about 2000 miles of riding to reshape my butt to fit the seat. VERY firm!

But, as an earlier response indicated, saddles are like shoes.....etc, etc. Lot of folks love the Russell seats, but aesthetically I'm not a big fan. But that might depend on which machine is equipped with a Russell, on a Gold Wing they sort of look the part...on an R11S, not so much! :D

Good luck and happy hunting!

I went way north, in a lot of rain, to Rich's in Kingston WA.
I'm very satisfied.

IMG_0729.jpg

We did consider Rich's but given the distance I think they are out, at least from a ride in fitting standpoint. Thanks, and we will add them to the list.

Thanks

Thanks to all who have taken the time to post replies. We are also checking with our local riding groups. Looks like there are many very good options. Most importantly the builders all have good reputations. Thanks again.

My Corbin has served me well. 800 mile days, no problem. I am 6'6" 260. The key for me seems to be width and firmness of the foam. The Corbin is both.
I agree with the earlier post, I like to be able to move around. The slick texture and somewhat flat design of the seat allows me the ability to move around in riding pants easily. I prefer that over the bucket feel. To each his own.

Had the wife's seat done at Mr Eds Moto in Albany Oregon, S of Portland over 5 years ago. Did great job and reasonable price, heat included

BMW Comfort SEAT. The only way to go. Best seat I have ridden on in sixty years of riding.

Jack

Really? I believe you, but I have never had an OEM seat I could stand more than 50 miles. Sounds like the comfort seat is pretty good to you. Typically, they are Just too soft and narrow for this large frame.

I bought my 2004 R1150RT used and it came with a Sergeant seat that was nice, but it was the low version and way too short for me (I'm 6'3").

I swapped that for a BMW Comfort seat, which was anything BUT comfortable - I started squirming within and hour and couldn't really go much more than 4hrs before I was in pain.

I found a used Meyer (not sure which brother), but it wasn't shaped the same way I am, so the pressure points got to me.

Finally I found a Corbin in leather. I really dislike the seat pan, and I'm not really impressed with the overall workmanship, but most importantly, it seems to fit me perfectly. I can put up with all the other issues for the ability to ride 600-700 miles in a day and have absolutely no discomfort at the end of a day!

All that said, I can't say that the Corbin would work for any other particular person. Unfortunately, it seems that seats are very much "try it and see if it works". As soon as I upgrade to a newer model motorcycle, I'm assuming I'll have to start the search all over again, though I will probably start with a Corbin!

Back