• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Southern Texas "Ride Around"

B

BMWRich58

Wanting to escape the cold,I headed south to visit my #1 son, who teaches music in Midland Texas school system. Since he's busy during the week,that left me time to get lost and explore for 5 days.
Riding south and then west from Marathon,I headed to the Davis Mountain area.
100_1826.jpg

100_1829.jpg

100_1831.jpg

6 miles south of Fort Davis TX the GSA took her last breath and coasted to a stop. Previously up by the observatory's she quit 2-3 times while riding.
It's like WTF's wrong?? I should have at least a gallon or two left before I hit empty,according to my calculations and odometer. I was dancing with the curves,and maybe the fuel was sloshing about in the tank.
All symptoms felt like lack of fuel. Well could only be 1 of three things,lack of fuel,fuel pump relay,fuel pump driver/controller.
Starting and running every so often then dying,I ruled out the relay,and could see/hear fuel in the tank. With all the chit-chat on the Web about fuel pump driver/controller issues,I guessed my problem was similar.
Yes,I could have tried to by pass the contoller/driver but the bike having only 22+K miles and still under warranty why not use the warranty and roadside assistance that came with the bike.
1 phone call to BMW Roadside and a Tow truck was dispatched,"FROM SAN ANTONIO TX" which is like 400 miles away...and at 4pm,it's gonna be a while till they get here. According to BMW Roadside Assistance,Alamo BMW is the closest Dealer, so that's where I'm to be towed.
1:00 o'clock am the tow arrives and we load up headed east.
Drive all night stopping only for a few cup's of Joe and a 2?¢hr rest. By noon we finally make it to the Dealer.
Alamo BMW was expecting me and went right to work on the bike. Within 1 an a half hours, the bike was diagnosed and repaired! WOW great service!!!
From there I headed back west on 90 to visit Big Ben NP.
100_1857.jpg

100_1899.jpg

100_1883.jpg

100_1901.jpg

Finished up by going west through Terlingua,Redford to Presidio.
100_1913.jpg

100_1903.jpg

100_1910.jpg

Sorry Paul and Voni,wanted to visit but the down time changed my plans.
I did see Ara and Spirit blast through the campground at Chisos Basin.
Fantastic time and weather!

Last edited:

Nice Report.

What was wrong with your bike?

What kind of camera are you using?

Jim

Fuel Pump Controller/Driver failure....

Camera..... some "cheapie" Kodak my son bought years ago.

Sorry Paul and Voni,wanted to visit but the down time changed my plans.
I did see Ara and Spirit blast through the campground at Chisos Basin.
Fantastic time and weather!

No worries. We'll catch you when you come back ; ) Glad to hear they took such good care of you!!

San Antonio? Wow!

Voni
sMiling

Rich,
Wonderful pictures!
I toured that area last November, and found some of the finest riding I've experienced. I'd also recommend the farm road from Presidio to Terlingua.
Anyone new to riding the area should remember that it's open range. Going in too hot to a decreasing radius turn to find a heard of cattle in the road on the other side... well, there's a pucker-factor there!

Sorry to hear about the breakdown, but glad you got it nipped in time to continue your adventures! Nice pix and good reading!

I rode down that way about a year ago and your pictures remind me of how much I'd like to go back...not so easy now that I live more than twice as far away as I used to.

Back