• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Top Case Loose on 2007 RT

Sandarm

Sandarm
Hi there fellow RT'rs,

I've got a problem, or at least I think I do, with my top case. It's far too easy to move it around when it's locked in place. I don't think it's quite ready to fall off, but man does it shake. Has any one else had this issue, and if yes, how do I fix it. I've tried to tighten the screws from the inside of the case, but that really didn't seem to help. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sandarm

Last edited:
They all shake pretty much. However, I also had one of the rubber inserts that sit inside the "hook" come out. Simple glue job fixed it. If those are missing it will really move around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These things:
100cca66b202562b311ecaca625094a5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahhhh....

These things:
100cca66b202562b311ecaca625094a5.jpg

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle - I actually found one of "those things" lying on my front porch, didn't realize what it was or where it came from, but was at least intelligent enough to know that it had been carefully manufactured for some specific (but unknown) purpose. That led me to rescue it and put it away. Now the problem is I have no idea where I put it, AND we're undergoing a major renovation that includes digging up the basement. I will try to find it, but I may be calling the dealer for the part before too long. At any rate, thanks a billion for solving my problem and the mystery of what that piece of rubber is for.

Sandy

Looking at parts fiche that doesn't appear to be a seperate part. I hope you find yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had two 49L topcases and they both have rattled around like crazy. Mine is now dubbed the "Disassembler of Pens" because any poor pen that happens to get tossed in there before I ride will be left in pieces by the end.

I wonder if adding a little rubber to those pieces might tighten it up a bit. Mine has been extremely loose even since it was completely new.

You should have higher expectations of your BMW.

This is NOT normal and you require repair to return the unit to factory condition.

My 49l case was purchased used and is on its 2nd R1200RT and doesn't move a bit on the rack when installed.

There's no need to go to the UK or California for parts, just go to your dealer.

I have followed a number of 49l around the country and I can assure you that they vibrate significantly. This is by design (rubber mounted). They don't "move around on the rack" though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading this thread, I remember my wife said she thought my topbox was moving up and down more than normal...clue #1. Upon checking it, it did move more than I remembered before, but didn't seem like it was going to come off....clue #2. I also remember picking up a rubber thingy and setting aside so when I figured out where it came from I'd already have it.....clue #3. Just pulled the top box off and looked under at the rubber bumpers. I'll be dipped, one was missing. And do you think I can find where I put that little pc of rubber?! Yeah yeah yeah, I just ordered a new one. Thanks yet again for helping me fix problems on my bike that I didn't even know were there......gotta stop hangin out here:)

Back