• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"Check Engine Oil"

Sully1000XR

Picked up my new '14 GS in February and love it. After only my 3rd short ride, the "Check Engine Oil" on the dash came on on the way home today. After reading the instructions on the Nav V, it said to check the oil level at my next fuel stop. When I got home and referenced the manual it said to check it at running temperature and to add oil if low but to take it to a BMW tech to have it checked if the oil level was too high. Well, the level is slightly high. This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't I just simply loosen the oil plug and let drain a little oil until the proper level is acquired? What is the purpose of seeing a tech?

Engines don't make oil they consume it (some more than others). If the oil level were suddenly high that means that something other than oil is in the crancase. This could be fuel or coolant among other things.

I did mention that the bike was brand new but forgot to mention the number of miles. It's not even broken in and still shy of it's 1st service with only 410 miles on the ODO. It looks like it may have been overfilled from the start.

I was not aware that an oil level indicator detected anything other LOW OIL LEVEL.

You're saying it detects HIGH OIL LEVEL?

Is this something new?

d'milan

I am not sure if this is new or not since this is my first GS, but it does indicate to check engine oil. The dash doesn't indicate low or high, but just to check it. The GPS throws up an indicator on its screen and once pressed gives more information that pretty much matches what the bike manual says, paraphrased, "If low then add oil up to a certain amount, but if high then see a certified BMW technician/dealership."

You could fiddle with it but honestly, I would take it back to the dealer.
If there is a faulty sensor, then it's covered under warranty.
If they overfilled it, then it's the dealer's fault and either way, there should be no charge to you.

Sully1200, You asked why it could be high. It doesn't matter if the bike has 410 or 410,000 miles the reasons are the same. There COULD be a mechanical defect. That's why they want you to err on the side of caution and see a tech. In light of the fact that there are only 410 miles on the clock, I DO think that your bike was just overfilled at prep but better safe than sorry. Many happy miles to you.

I appreciate your knowledge and comments. I will be taking it back to the dealer this week for them to look at it.

The oil would have been filled at the factory, but things do go wrong. Are you sure it?s overfilled? Do you see an amber color (use a flash light) in the site glass?

If you have any question about this I?d drop into the dealer. I had mine serviced at 672 miles and couldn?t tell any oil consumption. The oil was at the same level in the site glass from day one.

Jay

The oil would have been filled at the factory, but things do go wrong. Are you sure it?s overfilled? Do you see an amber color (use a flash light) in the site glass?

If you have any question about this I?d drop into the dealer. I had mine serviced at 672 miles and couldn?t tell any oil consumption. The oil was at the same level in the site glass from day one.

Jay

Also since water cooling (hate it) was added a sensor for high oil level would work to detect water intrusion into the oil.

Well, since BMW is closed on Monday, my plan is to take the bike in on Tuesday to have the "Professionals" check it out. Had some time today so I ran the bike for ten minutes or so to get the engine up to heat in order to take a picture of the dash for proof, but the "Check Engine Oil" never came on - what the heck!

Just out of curiosity, how did you check the oil level after you got the warning light? Also, what do you mean when you say "slightly high?" If it's too high, the entire sight oval will be full of oil when you go to check it. If the oval is mostly full, but still within the red ring indicated on it, then your oil is fine. I'm not certain on the wethead oil checking procedure, but for the previous gen of bikes the instructions were to ride it until up to temp, stop and turn it off and place on centerstand, then wait about 5 minutes for all the oil to drain back into the pan before checking the oval.

The first time I checked it was after the "Check Engine Oil" indicator came on about 15 miles from home. When I got home I placed the bike on its center stand, waited for 5 minutes, then checked it to see that the oil level was right at the same height (if not just a hair over) as the top of the sight circle.

When I checked it yesterday, the bike was still on its center stand so I ran the bike for 15 minutes then let sit for about 4-5 minutes before checking. The oil was at the very top of the sight circle but didn't seem to be over like it was Friday and the "Check Engine Oil" indicator was not on. Maybe it didn't get a chance to heat up enough for expansion to occur, but after 15 minutes of idling the bike should be at temp.

I wonder, since the oil level is just right at the full line is the reason for the inconsistent oil indicator warning.

Were you going downhill when you got the Check Oil warning? They seem to come on sometimes when going down a steel hill.

Were you going downhill when you got the Check Oil warning? They seem to come on sometimes when going down a steel hill.

Emoto,
I appreciate your comment and answered it on the other forum, but I thought it would be beneficial to post here, as well, for others to see. You're probably thinking the same.

I wonder if that's it. I was going down a steep off-road hill and noticed it came on sometime after that.

That's pretty common at least on the hex and camhead bikes, but only if the oil was low. I suppose the same could happen if the wetheads have a high oil sensor and you had been on a hill and tripped it.

Either way, if you can see the top of the oil in the sight glass, you're likely ok. Still may be worth swinging by the dealer and telling them what happened.

Emoto,
I appreciate your comment and answered it on the other forum, but I thought it would be beneficial to post here, as well, for others to see. You're probably thinking the same.

I wonder if that's it. I was going down a steep off-road hill and noticed it came on sometime after that.

Oh, ok. I don't cycle through the many forums often enough to have seen your response there. No worries. Mine has come on while I have been stopped at a stop sign on a steep down hill, and my level has been ok. As soon as I motored off, it turned off within a minute or two.

Back