• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alum box hinge broke.........

WLPMD

plastic hinges

I had the same problem 3 times and all were replaced under warranty by my dealer. I now switched to jesse sytem but sometimes wish that they had more clearance on the turns. Anyway I have parts of the old hinges and could send them if warranty has expired. Take it easy.

What Hinges?

I have the dreaded BMW alum boxes with the weak hinges and broke mine this past weekend. Now that I need replacements, I thought I have seen someone who has developed stronger ones. Anyone know who? Thanks.

I have the aluminum BMW boxes [R=44 liters and L =38 liters] on my '07 GSA and there are no hinges, pivoting locks yes but no hinges; what are you refering to? Oh yes, judging from the reaction of other riders to my boxes, they are not the "dreaded boxes" but the "coveted boxes"...mine are first rate and very well constructed and designed..if they weren't I would be crying foul!

As always it is a great help to specify which boxes and on what bike if the bike is an issue...thanks. :thumb

What Boxes? What Hinges?

I had the same problem twice with my 2002 GS Adv boxes. The hinge cost about 35 dollars each for a replacement. If you replace the hinge, you could install a wire guide inside that will limit their opening to a full extension. Then they will only open to a 45 degree angle with the wire. Tour-a-tech USA has the wire part. The locking mechanism appears to be pig metal which would break loss in case of an accident may be another concern. The panniers don't seem to be designed for their purpose / adventure, they are more for safety to break apart on impact with something unplanned. It might be an idea to replace with a tour-a-tech zega pannier or a Jesse bag system if you plan on heavy use.

There was a high tech leather looking mesh someone used as a replacement for their hinges with common screw attachment. It looked interesting as a home made project. Hope this helped.

Again...which boxes are you folks talking about...Picture?

picture perfect

Thanks for posting the picture, as it is exactly like mine. I thought one of the aftermarket vendors had come up with billet hinges, maybe I'm thinking wrong. I was just amazed at how quickly they broke. I had the top open, 180 degrees, looked back, and the top was on the ground.

Back