• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT, Kisan brake light modulator question

txmxrider

Has anyone here successfully used one of these on this model bike and know which part number they used? I ordered a 20W-DZ for the GT and now I get a "brake failure" indicator on the dash. I suspect I ordered the wrong part number although it might make a difference that the bike also a set of Hyper-Lites (flashing LEDs on either side of the license plate). If others here have used the 20W-DZ then I would conclude that having the Kisan *and* the Hyper-Lite is too much for the bike's lamp-check function to tolerate.

I'll probably call Kisan this week and see what they say. They'll probably tell me I'm an idiot and ordered the wrong part. :violin

Thanks for your advice and comments.

They'll probably tell me I'm an idiot and ordered the wrong part. :violin

That's probably what they'll tell you. :nono

According to their online application chart, the 20W-DZ is for '04 and newer canbus bikes.:deal

The chart says you should use the 20W-D. That's what's in my bikes. Works great.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Thank you sir! May I have another!?!

I blame it on the Shiner Bock.

Okay, so now the plot thickens. I put the original bulb back and still have the slow flashing "brake failure" lamp. Hopefully I didn't dork up something with the ABS or servo system. That'd be about my luck the way things are going this weekend. Maybe there's a reset procedure somewhere. I'll do a search on the forum too but am open to ideas...

Did you take it for a ride around the block?

The ABS requires some movement (10 mph min. ?) to reset.

No, not yet. Wind, rain and thunderstorms all day today and I didn't want to get her all grungy. This is a little different from the usual 'first start-up' ABS check (the two simultaneous lights that flash in unison until you get a little speed), this is just a single "Brake Failure" lamp. For grins I tried disconnecting the negative battery lead but that didn't help. As soon as the streets dry out a bit I'll take it around the block and see what happens.

txmxrider:

See you have a K1200GT - so probably not the same situation as I had with my '87 K75S but here's my experience:

I went through the same process trying to get the Kisan tailblazer to work - it worked but the red brake failure light stayed lit.

I put the original bulb back in and ordered this - took care of all my concerns of being seen when I hit the brakes:

I bought the VectraLight Motorcycle License Plate Frame from Amazon - workes like a charm!

Here's a link that shows how it works - this, in my op, is the ticket you want

http://www.amazon.com/VectraLight-Motorcycle-License-Plate-Frame/dp/B000NPMGHC

Last edited:
I put the original bulb back in and took the bike for a short ride. As previously suggested, once the bike moved forward a bit the system self-check cleared the "brake failure" warning lamp.

Thanks all for the tips/suggestions.

txmxrider:

See you have a K1200GT - so probably not the same situation as I had with my '87 K75S but here's my experience:

I went through the same process trying to get the Kisan tailblazer to work - it worked but the red brake failure light stayed lit.

You, also, had the WRONG model tailblazer. They make the 20W-D specifically for early BMWs with bulb monitoring.:deal

I put the original bulb back in and took the bike for a short ride. As previously suggested, once the bike moved forward a bit the system self-check cleared the "brake failure" warning lamp.

Thanks all for the tips/suggestions.

:thumb

Put the 20W-D in and all will be well.

Back