• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Firecracker RA International Rally

motocamper

Greetings
We are heading to Sauk Rapids Mn. We want to be there by July 3rd. We will be leaving on june 30 early morning. That would put us in Chippewa Falls july 1 evening. Just in a little late but still in time for 2011 BMW Firecracker RA International Rally. :dance

We will be leaving from Red Rock Corners to the Wisconsin State Fair Grounds.
Is there a easier or faster way?
Is there an area or time to avoid a route?
How bad is the traffic around Chicago?

Here is the planned route but subject to change.
iframe>

I have other questions but route planning first.

Looking forward to good BEER :beer(hopefully homebrew because I will need a fix by then) and all the walleye that I can eat:eat.
Thanks for the help
Tony

Traffic around Chicago is terrible during the morning and afternoon rush hours.

I noticed on your map that you are taking 90 right thru downtown Chicago. Unless there is a specific reason you want to do that I would avoid that route and take 80 to 294 and then to get back on 90 by Ohare. By taking 294 you will avoid all the downtown traffic which can be bad all thru the day sometimes.

Also,on 90 there is construction from approx. Ohare to West Dundee. I also heard (rumor) there is construction in the Rockford/Janesville area as well. If you want to avoid 90, then stay on 294 North which turns into 94 North to Milwaukee and continue on 94 over to Madison.

Hope this helps a little.

Other options would be the Lake Express Ferry from Muskegan, MI to Milwaukee or the S.S.Badger from Ludington MI. to Manitowac, WI. The Lake Express is 2-1/2hrs. but the Badger is more a more nostalgiac ride. Either would avoid the misery of riding through or around Chicago.

Other options would be the Lake Express Ferry from Muskegan, MI to Milwaukee or the S.S.Badger from Ludington MI. to Manitowac, WI. The Lake Express is 2-1/2hrs. but the Badger is more a more nostalgiac ride. Either would avoid the misery of riding through or around Chicago.

:clap Thats the way I'm heading back to RI after the Rally.

+1

Traffic around Chicago is terrible during the morning and afternoon rush hours.

I noticed on your map that you are taking 90 right thru downtown Chicago. Unless there is a specific reason you want to do that I would avoid that route and take 80 to 294 and then to get back on 90 by Ohare. By taking 294 you will avoid all the downtown traffic which can be bad all thru the day sometimes.

Also,on 90 there is construction from approx. Ohare to West Dundee. I also heard (rumor) there is construction in the Rockford/Janesville area as well. If you want to avoid 90, then stay on 294 North which turns into 94 North to Milwaukee and continue on 94 over to Madison.

Hope this helps a little.

And the morning rush generally lasts till around 10:00-10:30. The afternoon rush starts as early as 2:00 and lasts till around 7:00. Outside these hours, I generally get around pretty easily, but the 294 is only slightly out of your way if you're forced to come thru at a peak time. On the other hand, as I've written before, Chicago is a great town if you have the time. Should you come thru on a Sunday, take Lake Shore Drive North from the south end of the city and cut back to 90/94 by way of Wrigley Field across Addison or almost any of the other big east/west cross streets. Stop for breakfast at Yolks, 11th st and mich ave. Or go further N on 41 thru the ritzy suburbs for some sightseeing and great views of the lakefront and skyline from all the way down by Rainbow Beach and the museum of Sci/Ind campus, where the U-505 is on display.

If you have time to go further west before you turn North, head out past Rockford to the Galena area, where the scenery starts to get pretty and the roads curvy, and then N up The Great River Road

Last edited:
Avoiding Chicago

Another route to try is to take I80 to I355, I355 north to I88, I88 west to I39 north. Another route takes you a little farther south but does avoid a lot of traffic. Stay on I80 west to I39 north. Its summer and road construction season. Hopefully, there won't be much active construction going on that weekend.

On another note, how will we know each other without our screen names at the rally?

Looking forward to a great time in a gorgeous area.

Mary
2007 R1200RT, its new to me.

name tags!!

Hey, Mary, I was just thinking the same thing, and wondered if anyone else might be interested in wearing those name tags like you get at conventions and reunions. Couple years ago at the Nat'l in West Bend i wore an old T shirt w my OA# magic marker'd on so another member might find me more easily. Corny verging on queer, I know, but hey!:groovy

Hey all: The Lake Express is suppose to be offering FREE motorcycle passage this summer. The Badger is offering several very good discounts for any one traveling to the rally as well. We are trying to get a group together to take advantage of their heavily discounted group rate as we speak. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Thanks everyone
We will be taking I 80 to I 39 to the rally. $190 if we take the june 30 ferry. That would equal out fuel bill for our whole trip. If a deal is worked with the ferry for the rally at a discounted rate we would consider the ferry.
We will be coming home through Duluth down the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and some way across PA.
Is anthing that is a must see in the Upper Peninsula planning on a couple days in the area if time permits.
Thanks
Tony

round the big lake

Have you thought about going up through Ontario and up around Lake Superior? I am linking up with a friend in WaWa, Ontario. He is heading in from just south of Montreal. Great views and lots of nice places to stay on the route around. You can also head across the Upper Peninsula if you need to save a day. Lots of nice views that way as well.

Greetings
After the RA rally we will be coming home through Duluth down the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and some way home. We are planning on camping the entire trip. My bother inlaw says we a crazy to camp in Minnesota because the mosquitos will eat us alive and there is no defense beside a hotel.
Are the mosquitos that bad?
Is there a mosquitos defense?
Thanks Tony

you won't be in Minn. long

If you look at the map, you won't be in Minnesota very long, unless you plan some side trips. I am not too familiar with the camping in the UP, but if you are near the water, the wind usually blows them away. Take off, and use liberally once at the site.

It's kind of hard to figure your route home but if you are crossing the Upper Peninsula and then going South thru lower Michigan here are 2 suggestions that might be worth checking out. I have been to both places on a bike and they are great.

1.Mackinac Bridge - this takes you from the Upper Peninssula South into lower Michigan. The bridge is about 5 miles long and the view is beautiful. I think it's about $3.50 per motorcycle to cross it.

2.Sleeping Bear Dunes- This is a national seashore located close to Traverse City Michigan and is great for camping,swimming and hiking. I think its about $10.00 to camp and there is an entry fee into the park. They have great facilities and beautiful views.

The mosqiutos in that part of Minnesota can be terrible that time of year. I have fished close to there many times so bring your mosquito spray.

www.mackinacbridge.org.
www.sleepingbeardunes.com

Hey all: Hmmmm... No one has mentions Michigan's state bird yet... The (im) famous black fly!! These little buggers seem to work in conjunction with the mosquito, to drain the unwary of their blood. The mosquito makes the first pass, and distracts the victim, while the black fly sneaks in from a different direction, and makes the kill... Long sleeve shirts and Off seem to work best. Good luck. Dutch

The fairgrounds are about 5 hours from here, shortest time. Three of us will be leaving Saturday and plan on getting lost along the way. Then we'll arrive and help get things set up for all the rest of you folks. Let's hope for decent weather, and plan on having a good time!

See everybody there!

Back