• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dyna Beads or weights?

EUGENE

What do most BMW riders use for balancing new tires???:dunno The bike is a F800ST with factory cast wheels. On the last tires some of the weights have come off. What to go with?

All the dyna beads threads you can handle are in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen! :thumb

I'm a weight guy, but install the beads for those who like beads.

My word of warning is to buy the real deal beads and not some cheaper offerings.I have recycled DynaBeads for some folks and re used in a few tires... vacuumed powder out of tires for the low cost maybe not even ceramic beads on others.

Look at the Similar Threads below and the many opinions.

Edit: Kurt beat me to the Similar Thread pointer

On the last tires some of the weights have come off. What to go with?
I’m curious if you felt a difference in the ride that led you to the missing weight.....or- you noticed the weights missing with a look at the bike?
OM

Well I did use them on the latest tire change.

Not again.

Lots of non uniform vibration and odd handeling characteristics.

One I can I will take them out and have the tires properly balanced.

They also freeze, in clumps, deteriorate to powder and cause erosion inside the tire.

I know, I used to sell them before we got a real balancer.

I used the beads once. After a bad balance job by an all-sports shop we wound up in Prince George BC with Voni's F800S. With the bike unloaded we detected that the rear tire was out of balance. Five shops later nobody had an adapter to balance that wheel. But the Harley shop sold Dyna Beads. They worked, sort of. It was better than nothing. Until we were in Ontario, CA for the finish of the Iron Butt Rally in triple digit temperatures. Leaving the LA area headed to Vegas with the temps around 105F we discovered that the beads and a bunch of rubber dust had all clumped together making the imbalance horrible. ASAP I got that junk out of the tire and got it properly balanced with wheel weights. I would use ithem again in an emergency but would go to great lengths not to need to.

Paul, Your last sentence above sort of reminds me of a less than ringing endorsement of using JB Weld on a submarine. :dance

Friedle

Centramatics

To bad Centramatics doesn't make wheel balancers for a BMW. Had them on a GW and a 3 Victorys. They work well. It was pretty common to get 20K out of a set of tires without the normal cupping.

Back