• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Complaints and from a NOOB, might be off base, dunno.

dieselyoda

My second rally, first Des Moines.

I thought this one was a little less organized than the first one I attended but it all worked out. Signage could have been a bit better.

This rally for me is of the ages. I met a ton of fantastic people, I think the Springfield Chamber of Commerce could have done a little better job warning the local restaurants about the volume of people.

But, It was a good thing I was a foreigner in a foreign country otherwise I would need bail money.

The guy on the trike that thought it was funny to drive by the beer tent and blast his train horn needed a good 'ole fashioned talk to, hockey style.

After scarring the bejesus out of everybody at the beer tent, he went by for a second time to make sure the ones with hearing aids heard him too.

Top it off, a third time to scare everybody else.

No MOA authorities to be seen to suggest that his attempt at being funny was actually a startling good method to upset people.

This forum is pretty well policed by the mods, the rally, not so much. I would think the demographics of the crowd wouldn't require a great deal of authoritarianism but, guy on the trike, just didn't show any respect for the primary reason I go to the rally; meet like minded folks having a beer and sharing life stories.

Reason #2 why I likely won't renew my membership after 35 years.

I thought this one was a little less organized than the first one I attended but it all worked out. Signage could have been a bit better.

This rally for me is of the ages. I met a ton of fantastic people, I think the Springfield Chamber of Commerce could have done a little better job warning the local restaurants about the volume of people.

But, It was a good thing I was a foreigner in a foreign country otherwise I would need bail money.

The guy on the trike that thought it was funny to drive by the beer tent and blast his train horn needed a good 'ole fashioned talk to, hockey style.

After scarring the bejesus out of everybody at the beer tent, he went by for a second time to make sure the ones with hearing aids heard him too.

No MOA authorities to be seen to suggest that his attempt at being funny was actually a startling good method to upset people.

This forum is pretty well policed by the mods, the rally, not so much. I would think the demographics of the crowd wouldn't require a great deal of authoritarianism but, guy on the trike, just didn't show any respect for the primary reason I go to the rally; meet like minded folks having a beer and sharing life stories.

I didn't see anything like that...seems the demographics of the club and the heat made it unlikely police were needed. But, I was thinking about it on the way home....I didn't see a single local police officer on site. Were any there? I thought I saw some in TN.

I did see the Security Golf Cart & Yellow-vest volunteers at least twice an hour and I moved around the rally quite a bit. They were around but possibly not in that place at that time. Sorry about that. There's good fun then there's actions that lead to others having a bad time. Thanks for sharing this.

I thought this one was a little less organized than the first one I attended but it all worked out.

I likely won't renew my membership after 35 years.

What?!

You would leave the MOA and this Forum? We need your continued insight into mechanical issues as well as your sense of humour! 👍

Please stay! 🙂

I would hesitate to let one jerk in a trike ruin a rally with 4,600 folks attending.

And by the way, it was 97 degrees F at Richmond, VA on Friday.

I would hesitate to let one jerk in a trike ruin a rally with 4,600 folks attending.

And by the way, it was 97 degrees F at Richmond, VA on Friday.

It was in the mid fifties here in Ontario on Friday. Maybe a Rally north of the border? Trenton? :D

Richmond weather

It is a blistering 79 currently. Saturday and Sunday were both 75, yesterday shot up to 80.

It is a blistering 79 currently. Saturday and Sunday were both 75, yesterday shot up to 80.

I spent the night in KY in my return to VA. It was record cold at 52 degrees. I put on the jogging tights under my mesh pants and it was comfortable all day yesterday in VA. I never took them off. We can only hope to have similar weather next yer.

We were at the beer tent when the air horn guy did his thing. I thought it was rude but a minute later I had fogot about him.
I thought security were fairground employees.

Last edited:
Had an interaction with a fairgrounds employee that was moving some pallets with a fork lift. He was polite and said he would get them out of the way so we could use the space for shaded tent area. Very accommodating. Did not hear the trike guy. Music was making it hard for me to hear at the beer tent but that is probably more me than the music. On the way in bridge repair had traffic stopped. When it hit 102 degrees I took to the should and moved at a moderate speed forward. I figured if I stayed the ambulance I would need would really slow the traffic down. Only really spent a day and half but it was worth the trip.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

What?!

You would leave the MOA and this Forum? We need your continued insight into mechanical issues as well as your sense of humour! ��

Please stay! ��

Paul_F, you be a Canuck. I'll bet you shart yourself watching Letterkenny or Shoresy. I can relate. I have even shot beer out of my nose watching Rick Mercer or just about any Canadian Comedian.

We have that in common. Our US friends barely know the real meaning of a road cookie or shooting a flatty like a pancake or what hitting the rhubarb means.

Just feeling that instead of a mutually cooperative and like minded membership, it's becoming divisive and adversarial.

Interesting comments. I would like to know what you expected that you didn't see or have access to at this rally. The guy with the air horns being another matter for the moment.

I'm not entirely sure I understand how one d*ckhead with an airhorn can top a rally of 4,600 people, and a membership of tens of thousands. And...as for Canada and inclusiveness...I grew up in Minnesota, which for most people on either US coast was...effectively Canada. I watched the Trailer Park Boys and was a fan of RUSH. And honestly, the whole MOA thing seems pretty mutually cooperative and reasonably-like minded. Kinda like Minnesota and Manitoba, I think.

Interesting comments. I would like to know what you expected that you didn't see or have access to at this rally. The guy with the air horns being another matter for the moment.

Guess I’m glad I was not in the area if this is the guy TOOTing his HORNS! Certainly Not a Trike... :brow
LOUD-K12LT.jpeg

Every rally has it’s own Ups & Downs. I wish there had been better ventilated & cleaner showers, but it was a blimmin fairground.
Can’t predict the weather, but it’s obvious that the climate across the globe is changing dramatically.
Just look at water levels now of Lake Powell or the Great Salt Lake.

Some of the many Airheads on display in the big Air-Conditioned Arena!
Airheads-on-Exhibit.jpeg

We CoddiWompled toward the rally, while at the rally over to KS & OK, and then north up to Chicago afterwards...
Found this Knight at random on Sunshine St in Springfield when riding toward Carthage & Joplin, MO & Galena KS.
Knight-Springfield-MO.jpeg

We brought some shade and chilled beverages with us to the Bright & Sunny campgrounds.

Happy-Hour-Heat.jpeg

Found this chap in Uranus, MO. :clap Note the water-soaked cooling vest and gaiters...
Top-Golfer-Uranus-MO.jpeg

Same Story for a quick pic in Chicago...
Chicago-USPS.jpeg

Had a refreshing crossing of Lake Michigan on the Fast Ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon [at 35 mph on a windy observation deck]!
K-P_Lake-Express-ferry.jpeg

Got this picture on our last leg home yesterday. Final long leg of 720 miles from South Bend, thru Lexington & Adolphus, KY to HSV...
Adolphus-KY.jpeg

Remember what Kermit says: "Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!"

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —--&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin —- '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS —-—— '75 R90S
’09 CRF230L —--— ’10 KLX250S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

We brought some shade and chilled beverages with us to the Bright & Sunny campgrounds.

Great photos -- thanks for sharing them.

But seeing your tent / camper thing...made me think back to our sailing / cruising days when we were researching life rafts for our boat. We were told that the best life raft stores small, taking up little room on deck but inflates to be the QE2.

So...same concept with your tent / camper?

Let me make this perfectly clear: I had no expectations, otherwise enjoyed my time at the rally.

Very much enjoyed off-rally, at supper, parking lots and of course, that adult beverage store where I got my favorite beer, repeatedly.

My thoughts of the shortcomings I saw are not a criticism of the rally volunteer/organizers. They did a great job.

Air horn guy, I forgot about the actual event shortly after, one beer I think.

My thoughts went to what he might be thinking with his actions and it didn't fit the rest of my rally experiences.

My thoughts went to what he might be thinking with his actions and it didn't fit the rest of my rally experiences.

When you gather 4,600 or so folks together there is bound to be at least one jerk who aggravates the rest. In this case it is one of those pathetic persons who in 5th grade screamed "pick me, pick me" when passed over time and time again in the dodge ball team selections at recess. As pseudo adults they will do almost anything to be noticed. I actually pity them.

When you gather 4,600 or so folks together there is bound to be at least one jerk who aggravates the rest. In this case it is one of those pathetic persons who in 5th grade screamed "pick me, pick me" when passed over time and time again in the dodge ball team selections at recess. As pseudo adults they will do almost anything to be noticed. I actually pity them.

Mental midgets is what they are….

National rant

The '22 national was my first. I know no one has control of the oppressive heat. That being said, I found the facilities at the fairground to be woefully beyond it's limits. I got up at 5:30 Friday to beat the crowds at the showers, only to find lines 10 deep. Campsites were cramped. I know that a lot of work and planning go into these events and I thank them for that. I guess I am just not a crowd person. My first is also my last.

Back