• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1986 R80Rt: Timing Chain?

Bikemike1

My R80RT with only 34,000 miles, recently picked up a sound that has a slight rattle...clinging and a little clanging when at idle. I had my vavles adjust 5000 miles ago, been riding her so-ever softly, as I always do. Sound appears to up in front and low. Not to harsh of a sound but enough I recently took note. The other day, while my mechanic and I were sychomating the carbs for my Canadian trip, he thought it sounded normal but I ride it each day. I am thinking it is a timing chain. Is that usual for a chain at that low of milage?

Your thoughts -

Thanks

34K seems low to me...I suppose it all depends on history and how the bike has been used. A bike that runs at cruising speeds all the time should be able to go longer I would think...a bike with jack rabbit starts and use of engine compression for braking would be lower.

My R80RT with only 34,000 miles, recently picked up a sound that has a slight rattle...clinging and a little clanging when at idle. I had my vavles adjust 5000 miles ago, been riding her so-ever softly, as I always do. Sound appears to up in front and low. Not to harsh of a sound but enough I recently took note. The other day, while my mechanic and I were sychomating the carbs for my Canadian trip, he thought it sounded normal but I ride it each day. I am thinking it is a timing chain. Is that usual for a chain at that low of milage?

Your thoughts -

Thanks

Does it go away when the clutch is pulled in? If so, thats normal. It's the gears slapping each other with each pulse.

Back