• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best or high quality Commuter Riding Gear?

ultracyclist

So here is the story...
I ride shorter trips, do errands, pick up an occasional carton of milk, go to a Yoga class.

I am looking high quality gear suitable for a commuter style of riding.

I have gear that is more in the touring category, and it is excellent stuff. But it is heavier, thicker and so forth.
I am looking for lighter and more flexible gear, and thus I seek the wisdom of this forum.

I know that Aerostich has made a name a name for itself with "Transit" gear, but that is above my price point.

Thanks in advance.
Howard

Yeah wearing all the gear is no doubt best, but I find, for a short run, over the ankle boots, jeans, mechanic gloves and some "reasonable" coat works for me.
Some seem to have solved this with a full Aerostitch suit that they can quickly step into- and out of.
OM

Run over to Duluth and talk to Andy Goldfine at Aerostich. Wgat you do is precisely what he had in mind when he invented the Roadcrafter. He now has some stuff in "Lite" meaning thinner, etc. Talk to Andy!!!!!

Just as there's no difference in the gear you should wear between riding an S1000RR and a Vespa, there's no difference in the gear you should wear between commuting and doing the Iron Butt.

Best way I've found to learn gear requirements is to read the annual "Track Day Directory" issue produced by Road Racing Magazine.

I hear what you are saying, what about jeans?

Is anyone using jeans? Or Kevlar/cotton jeans?

I have a pr of BMW summer riding pants, very much like jeans, but the cut is for a male supermodel who cruises the Autobahn.
H

boots, knee pads (forcefield) and a
Klim riding jacket, still warm here in GA so I get all the usual "you must be crazy looks" but it's not all that bad as long as you can stay moving, then again I have a few trips to the sand box under my belt so my perspective is warped to what hot is!

Is anyone using jeans? Or Kevlar/cotton jeans?

I have a pr of BMW summer riding pants, very much like jeans, but the cut is for a male supermodel who cruises the Autobahn.
H
Jeans have ZERO protective capability. They feel strong when you are running your hands over them, but that cotton fiber INSTANTLY shreds when it hits the asphalt.

Another +1 for the Roadcrafter -- the ultimate commuting suit when balancing protection and ease of donning/doffing.

I don't have another vehicle other than my motorcycles & I wear full gear even if I go 1 mile to the store. I use Olympia gear & I upgrade all of the padding to level 2 amour. The Olympia pants are very easy & fast to put on & take off. Because I ride year round in all types of weather I have several different types of Olympia gear.

I don't have another vehicle other than my motorcycles & I wear full gear even if I go 1 mile to the store. I use Olympia gear & I upgrade all of the padding to level 2 amour. The Olympia pants are very easy & fast to put on & take off. Because I ride year round in all types of weather I have several different types of Olympia gear.
This! I've never understood why people will wear full gear to go on a trip but a ride a couple of miles away they wear less gear. The pavement, deer, texting teenagers and or left turnovers don't know nor care if you're one mile or hundred miles from home.

Sure maybe you ride slower and or feel a short local run lowers your odds of having an accident but if it does happen having gear is always better.

Me I ride 26 miles a day to the train station, 4 days a week I stop at the gym on my way exactly 13 miles or half way, I wear full gear to the gym and from the gym. Yeah it adds time putting on, taking off, putting on and taking off but I know if a deer or car jump out in front of me in those 13 miles I have a better chance of reducing injuries.

I use a combination of gear depending on weather but in general I am a big Firstgear fan been using them for at least 10 years and have their newest TPG Expedition suit, TPG Escape overpants and Rainer jacket as well as full mesh gear. For boots I love Sidi and have gortex, vented and non gortex/vented versions and for gloves nothing but Held, six different pairs for various riding temps and conditions.

On top of that I have heated jacket, pants, gloves and socks for the real cold as I ride until the black ice and snow shows up.

If I had to live with one bit of commuting gear it would be my suit, sidi gortex boots, Caliber gloves and heated jacket. Suffer in the summer but happy the rest of the year.

Just as there's no difference in the gear you should wear between riding an S1000RR and a Vespa, there's no difference in the gear you should wear between commuting and doing the Iron Butt.

If you are arguing level of protection that is at least an arguably true statement. But if you are talking about a number of other factors including convenience, comfort, water repelency etc. there are vast differences between commuting and riding the Iron Butt Rally. An easy to put on suit that goes over street clothes is very handy for commuting but much less necessary when riding long daily distances. The termperature range the gear is comfortable is critical on the 11 day crisscross country rally but for commuting you can have hot weather gear and cold weather gear and usually don't need both the same day. These are but two examples of several attributes that are different between a 3 mile commute and a 1,000 mile day.

I have summer riding pants, winter riding pants, and a year 'round adventure style jacket - all by Rev'IT. Oh, and an electric vest if sweaters don't cut it. The point is: to have the gear when you need it to ensure a comfy ride. Even better is to have the stuff with you on the bike so you can switch out if needed. Also. Don't forget to have a couple pair of gloves suited to the appropriate season. No matter the brand of outerwear, they all seem to be good these days. Just make sure they are comfortable, and for this I would suggest a motorcycle shop so you can try them one and sit on bikes. Some shops, like mine (Adventure BMW) will let you road test..

I wear BMW Street Guard suit - suitable all weather, rain or shine; can be a little warm when it is hot, but I also wear LD comfort clothes, and wet them down when it get's hot. As long as I have wind flow, I get air conditioning (not in humid climes

Lighter and GREAT protection is my Motoport Stretch Kevlar gear - but it is NOT waterproof, you need to put on a waterproof liner, or over suit rain protection.
Very comfortable, on and off, over jeans or other pants and shirt. Especially nice in summer.

I always wear ATGATT; full face helmet, gloves, boots and BMW or Motoport jacket and pants; whether around the block or 1,000's of km.

I usually commute in a Roadcrafter one piece, and an Olympia Airglide set when it's over 90 degrees. Easy on and off, and they fit in my RT top case.

I've been wearing Alpinestars gear and like it quite a bit but I'm thinking of changing over to a one piece suit for easy full protection. On the suggestions in this thread I looked up the First Gear TPG Expedition and found it at a crazy price over at motorcyclegear. I've never worn First Gear stuff and was wondering if anyone had something more to say about it?

I've been wearing Alpinestars gear and like it quite a bit but I'm thinking of changing over to a one piece suit for easy full protection. On the suggestions in this thread I looked up the First Gear TPG Expedition and found it at a crazy price over at motorcyclegear. I've never worn First Gear stuff and was wondering if anyone had something more to say about it?
I think everything to say had bee. Said about it in this thread. A good quality suit with nice features at a great price.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

I know that Aerostich has made a name a name for itself with "Transit" gear, but that is above my price point.

There is another "step-in" one piece suit similar to the Aerostich for the fraction of the price. I can't remember who makes it and I have no experience with it. An option though. Look up Olympia Odyessy.

As for the Aerostich, it is convenient but it has its disadvantages. I am on my second but last Roadcrafter II since first using one since 1992.

Back