• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Waterproof cold weather gloves

medic_moto

So I camped out on the mississippi river a while back, and rode through 3 hours straight worth of thunderstorms to get back home. My cheapo waterproof gloves have finally started to fall apart after years of use, and left my hands wet, and cold. Anyone have any suggestions for good waterproof gloves that are also warm for the winter. I've seen the gloves from klim. Anyone think they are worth the $$. Also, I've been looking at the GS Dry gloves from BMW Motorrad. Can anyone give me insight on them?

I pretty much ride year round as long there is no snow, or ice on the ground, or it's not -20 with the wind chill, so I'm looking for something somewhat insulated, and water proof.

Thanks in advance!

I just bought these because of the closeout price and think they are plenty warm inside the gore-tex liner down in the 40's so far. My guess is they would do 30's fine also but probably no much lower for extended periods.

Held Solid Dry Glove

If you want something that works and is cheap, buy a pair of oversize rubber work or housekeeping gloves and a pair of wool gloves to go inside of them. You may have these in your stuff already.

I have these as backups when the "nice" gloves fail on a long wet cold ride.

Make sure the jacket sleeve covers the wrist part of the gloves to keep water from running down the sleeve into the glove.

I prefer yellow color to increase visibility....could care less what people think if they do the job.

I just bought these because of the closeout price and think they are plenty warm inside the gore-tex liner down in the 40's so far. My guess is they would do 30's fine also but probably no much lower for extended periods.

Held Solid Dry Glove

Thanks for the input. Interesting design having two sleeves in one glove. May have to consider these! Do you notice a considerable tightness or crowdedness on top of your hand when the gor layer is not in use?

I have these as backups when the "nice" gloves fail on a long wet cold ride.
I am convinced that no matter how much you pay for gear (riding suits, boots, gloves, etc.), NOTHING is 100% waterproof. I paid over $400.00 for my boots (Gore-Tex lined), they have started leaking; have the BMW GS "dry" suit and have loved it up until a few months ago when it started leaking; also my GS "dry" gloves are leaking too :banghead . I have diligently used extra waterproofing on the suit & gloves and on the leather boots. They are leaking around where the rubber sole is glued onto the leather. Bought the boots from Revzilla so talked to them, sent pics, blah, blah, blah...they said "sorry nothing we can do, as you've had them three years." Several weeks ago, I rode 400 + miles in a frog strangler and was soaked from top to bottom :uhoh. Just goes with riding a motorcycle, good thing I'm a tough ole gal :).

Do you notice a considerable tightness or crowdedness on top of your hand when the gor layer is not in use?

Not really. Pretty comfortable either way. That layer is pretty thin and this glove has no insulation. Not a true 4 season winter glove but thought I would throw it out there because of the good price. A great 3 season glove that should do a great job in the rain and mild winter riding.

I agree with Gail that at the prices some of this gear sells for it is highway robbery that it doesn't last longer no matter how well you take care of it.

Back in the day when I was riding around the country in all kinds of wx (don't do that anymore), I stopped in an Academy sports store and went to the ski department. Picked up a terrific pair of gloves that were both waterproof, and insulated for warmth. Don't recall the brand, but they lasted thru several winters. Might be worth a visit to check out that department.

electric gloves?

I have electric gloves now, and while they can still get soaking wet, they will dry out much faster when the rain stops (plus be warm, even in the rain.)

Medic_moto - look at the bottom of this thread in the similar threads section for links to cold weather gloves. You may find some good info there as well.

+1 on the Held Solid Drey

Held makes the BMW 2 in 1 gloves but I feel their version is better than the BMW branded product.

The gloves are very dry, but not really insulated. I find them very comfortable, never really notice the divider once the gloves are on, but still use the electric gloves when it's in the 40's.

Ski

Held makes the BMW 2 in 1 gloves but I feel their version is better than the BMW branded product.

The gloves are very dry, but not really insulated. I find them very comfortable, never really notice the divider once the gloves are on, but still use the electric gloves when it's in the 40's.

Ski

Here is a link to the Held-made BMW version of the 2-in-1 glove: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Motorcycle-Riding-Glove/dp/B00K8NAI8S

I've had mine for three years, and they've held up well. I paid $229 I think. I decided to treat the leather exterior with waterproofing after a bunch of rainy days on a 9K-mile trip. That seemed to improve them. The leather on the BMW version seems to bleach out due to sun, but that didn't affect the integrity of the glove.

FWIW, a friend of mine did some testing on the (probably) most popular form of waterproof material....the company wasn't really happy with the conclusions. While the fabric itself provided some decent ability to not allow water to pass, once in the manufacturing process, the material with seams, closures, sewing and handling- things change. The "breathability" of a fabric is somewhat misleading as the humidity outside the garment would need to be less than inside (perspiration) humidity.
An example of perfect use would be wearing a garment while cross-country skiing on a nice dry winters day. Perspiration would be drawn to the less humidity of the outside while the wearer of the clothing built up some sweat. The wearer would also be in good shape during a scenic, light snow.
Some interesting reading would be what George Mallory was wearing on the Everest climb and how it compares now.
Whatever works for you in your climate and conditions.
YMMV.
OM

I have been using the Rev'it H2O gloves for the past six seasons, and purchased a pair of their insulated gloves earlier this year. I have been able to ride long and fast on days with the temperature below freezing, and my hands remain warm (with the summer gloves, the tops of my hands feel the cold once the temp drops below 50F). I haven't felt any water making its way through the material, but maybe I have been lucky. The insulated gloves cost me $150 Canadian on sale. Hope this helps you with your search.

I've had the Alpinestars Goretex Thinsulate gloves for 9 years now. I have rode over 100,000 miles with these gloves in all kinds of weather from 20 to 60 degrees F & in 20 hour rides in heavy rain & have never got wet once. Any temp below the mid 30's and your hands will eventually get cold. They don't make the exact model glove anymore but Alpinestars still has several good Goretex winter gloves.

I've had the Alpinestars Goretex Thinsulate gloves for 9 years now. I have rode over 100,000 miles with these gloves in all kinds of weather from 20 to 60 degrees F & in 20 hour rides in heavy rain & have never got wet once. Any temp below the mid 30's and your hands will eventually get cold. They don't make the exact model glove anymore but Alpinestars still has several good Goretex winter gloves.

After reading everyone's replies, and doing some research on some other forums, and elsewhere I went with the Alpinestars Drystar gloves. It ticked all the boxes I needed, and a great price point. I tested them out on Sunday... in my area it was low 40's, ("feels like 37 with the wind chill according to weather bug.), and rainy. I put in a three hour ride, and never needed to turn on the heated grips, and my hands never felt close to being cold, and my hands were nice, and dry. Time will tell how these hold up, but I'll be sure to put a review up sometime in the spring in case anyone else is interested in these gloves!

Merlin

Going to try out a pair of Merlin Halo gloves with "Outlast Temperature Control" and a HiPro water proof liner. I have Raynauds Sydrome to a degree and wet and cold are not good combinations for me. The Outlast is like the PCi (if not the same) in the LeeParks DeerSports gloves. Nothing is more comfortable than the Lee Parks, it's just they are way to expensive at $200 not to be waterproof (or close.) The Merlins are about $120.

Supposedly the outlast tech is heat reflective and with heated grips the material reflects heat. I find my palms are fine, toasty and toasty but the back of them are chilled with my rather good firstgear gloves. You know the idea being the gloves for heated grips should off less insulation in the palm and more on the back of the hand.

I ride down to 35 degrees in the fall. Seven miles or so to work is bearable with a good jacket and moderate gloves with heated grips.

So far these gloves are sized pretty close to fit I'd go to the Merlin Website to get the measurements. I got mine from Revzilla.

The BMW Two in Ones (Or Held) sounds like a good idea. I note people claim the chamber can be problematic and bunch up if wet.

The gauntlet could be a little longer but suffice. The glove does protect well enough on the back of the hand from that chill.

As an extra layer of wind protection I installed the Puig hand guard wind deflectors.

IMG_1724.jpg

Last edited:
Back