• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A more reliable fuel pump?

91 k75s. I have had endless problems with the fuel system on this bike. I have now replaced everything in the tank, including a $280 fuel sender unit. The problem was that it kept blowing the fuel fuse. I have spent considerable time on this and have found the problem: the nearly new fuel pump locks up if the bike is not run for a period of time. (I realize this has never happened to anyone else, so we can skip that. I'm just lucky.) I won't go through all the testing, but believe me, the pump will do nothing but blow fuses, then, if I jump a 12 volt motorcycle battery directly to the pump, it will start up and run fine. I then reconnect the pump to the harness: it runs fine, no fuse blowing. The pump is the problem. It sticks just enough to keep it from turning. How this can happen, I have no idea. It's in filtered gas. It's a little motor with roller bearings in the bottom. I've had these apart, they're not that complicated.

I bought the pump new from Euro Moto Electrics three years ago, and it has maybe 60 miles of run time, about 3 hours. This same issue has happened before with this pump. It is a 52mm Enduralast pump, $200 cost.
I'll contact EuroMoto Electrics, but I already know what I'll hear: "We've never heard of that. We've sold hundreds of them."

My question is, anyone know where I can buy a better pump, and preferably not a $400 BMW one? I would feel a bit stupid giving Euro Electrics another $200 for another quite possibly defective pump.

You could try some Mystery Oil in the gasoline- as a bit of lube.
You could circumvent the bikes original wires and go directly to the bikes battery and use this to check the wiring loom/harness.
At the age of the bike, it would be easier to have wiring and connections go bad and have more resistance than the fuse/circuit was intended to handle.
OM

More resistance in the wiring causes current to go down, and not blow a fuse.
On the other hand, a stuck or stalled pump motor will cause the current to go up, and blow the fuse.

Just an FYI, the fuel pump is before the filter. There is a Mustang fuel pump that fits but I don't know which one. Should be availible by many manufacturers.

I agree these pumps are shared with other vehicles. i had a 2003 Yamaha R1 and needed a fuel pump. I found some info on the internet and went down to the local auto parts and bought one for a Honda automobile. It was and exact match, right down to the wiring harness connection. Plus it was $60 instead of $500.

Back