• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My favorite time of year

dancogan

This is my favorite time of year in Michigan. Sunday was a bright day with bluebird skies, and it warmed up to about 65. We rode Autstin Rd. out of Saline to Manchester, and then headed over to the Michigan State University site at Hidden Lake Gardens in Tipton. Just beautiful! It's early yet for peak color, but there were some maples that were screaming with bright orange and red.

What happened to the JPEG's I thought I attached to this message? ... OK, so a few minutes later I figure out that you can't preview a post or you lose the pictures. But why did only one of two pictures show up below?

Here are the pics

that I meant to attach to my first post. Sorry ...

Attachments

• hdlkgd.jpg
    hdlkgd.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 215
Very nice. Any route in particular you were on? I am looking for a color loop for next weekend to go out with the wife from South Bend.

How far are you going?

Brad - South Bend is a bit far from where I was. How far do you want to travel? And will this be a one day or two day trip? Straight north of South Bend in Michigan is US-12. It's a very popular route, especially the sections from Coldwater to Saline. It gets a lot of bikers (and cars, or course) but it's very pretty, goes through a lot of small towns with gobs of antique shops. I'm a new rider and have only been on US 12 once. It was nice, because it's not straight, but the traffic is pretty thick. Most of the roads I've been riding are really very pretty back roads. M52 from the town of Manchester north to Chelsea is really nice. Dexter-Chelsea Road from Chelsea to Dexter (of course) gets you to the pretty part of Huron River Drive, and will take you into downtown Ann Arbor.
Anyway, give me some more specifics and I'll try to help you out. If you're getting over this way, I'd love the chance to meet someone from the forum and show you some places I ride. I'll be working Saturday until around 3:00 pm but will be around Sunday.

p.s. There are also lots of pretty roads north and south of the Kalamazoo and Battle Creek areas.

Did 300 miles around and in north central Illinois today. Rock River/Byron area. I'd say roughly 90% peak color change. With the past month being very dry,most trees are turning brown fast. One more good rain like last friday and the leaves will be gone. :cry

What a difference a week makes

Yesterday I went out on a loop South that wanders around a bunch of small lakes. The colors were so vibrant I felt like I was stoned (not that I actually ever did any drugs - I just knew some people who did and they told me what it was like).
Didn't take my camera, but there were some stunning, fiery explosions of yellow, orange and red.
Last week I went with 3 other people on a similar route and there was hardly any color at all.
Dan said "This is my favorite time of year in Michigan." I would probably agree - when the air is crisp the colors are as well.
Time for the annual: WATCH OUT FOR WET LEAVES - ESPECIALLY IN THE INTERSECTIONS post.

how long will the leaves remain so gorgeous? i used to live up north, and i've forgotten how long the colors last in any one area.

Flying to Whitby, Canada to see my sister November 17- 21 and would love to meet anyone on the forums while in the area. I can take you to breakfast.... Of course, I won't have my bike, but I'd love to see yours!!

Favorite time of the year indeed!

Just outside the east entrance of Glacier National Park:

fallglacier.jpg

"how long will the leaves remain so gorgeous? i used to live up north, and i've forgotten how long the colors last in any one area."

The color can be a real crap shoot. Normally it is beautiful for 10-14 days, but if it gets real windy....or snows...or....then it can shorten the time.

Knary is the coolest - his bike and helmet match the leaves. Great idea.

Originally posted by Cliffy777 Knary is the coolest - his bike and helmet match the leaves. Great idea.

I, of course, planned it that way. Even the jacket, with bits of red, also works well into the whole scheme.

To make it even more perfect, I had them paint the turn sign and the lines on the road in nearly the same yellow as the bike.
:D

Cliffy This might be the best weekend for Northern Mi, We the wifey and I and a few friends, went around Croton Hardy Dam area and that area will probably be great in week and half or so I went up to Grayling area today Lake City, Marion. Was probably a little better then 50% color. Other then a bit cool this morning it was gorgeous.

As Cliffy said

the color can be a real crap shoot. This coming weekend may be near peak in many parts of Michigan, but the weather is calling for rain and wind Thursday, Friday and part of Saturday. There may not be any leaves left the next time the sun shines. If the wind isn't too bad, then the next couple of weekends could be gorgeous. By the way, my idea of peak color is when it reaches about 50% or so. Then there is lots of green to contrast with the yelllow, orange and red.

Dan,

Thanks for the tip. I rode out to Hidden Lake Gardens from Ann Arbor today. Another picture perfect day though the color still has a bit to go before peak. Saw very few people there and really enjoyed the senic little roads, particularly the Senic Woodland Drive. Lots of varied terrain and numerous photo ops. This destination will be a "keeper."

Attachments

• pa110003.jpg
    pa110003.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 130
One more pic showing a bit more color.

Attachments

• picnic area parking.jpg
    picnic area parking.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 105
Happiness

I am envious of your happiness. It waits for us there, just throttle twist away. But alas I was unable to partake. Perhaps this weekend...

Nice shots, Brando ...

There are lots of neat roads out there (until you have to use 50, but that's not too bad. We took Austin Rd. out of Saline to Manchester, then M-52 to M50, and came back on some really nice back roads from Tecumseh to Saline. Are you familiar with those and what route did you take?

Missouri has finally gotten some color in the trees. Here's a shot from last weeks Falling Leaf Rally.

Attachments

• falling leaf 1.jpg
    falling leaf 1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 88
AMAZING!!! I'm so jealous. Stuck in this cramped, cave-like office 8-5 I'm dying here. I hope this rain stops today because I've GOT TO RIDE!! Thank you for the gorgeous view...... vicarious pleasure leaves much to be desired.

Back