• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best keep Secret - MD music

It's been around a couple of years but a friend showed up at a ride this spring with a little 3" x 3" player tucked in his shirt pocket, all excited about his new find he gave us a update on what he found. Sony primarily, but others do make them has a Mini Disk player that uses a new compression technology that allows you to put 5 full CDs on one little 2" x 2" 80 min. Disk with fantastic Quality. These units are water resistant and come with remotes that you can clip to the outside of your jacket allowing track & volume control all for under $150.00
I know this sounds like a sales pitch but these things are so neat I just had to share. You can check the specs. out at Sony's Site. but the real deals are on EBay at Sony MD:newtoy

I definately like mine! I got one with an AM/FM tuner in the remote. :clap

CD player Alternative

I use a CD player that will play MP3 files. I've created one CD with 74 Jimmy Buffet tunes on it. That is like having 6 or 7 albums on one disk. I have plans to create several CDs so I can feed my exlectic tastes.

I cut a piece of styrene to the shape of my tank back and used velcro to attach the CD player, sport radio, Boostaroo and Autocom. It lays on top of everything else in the bag.

It's too bad that the player doesn't have a radio as well. So far I haven't found anyone that makes a CD player that plays MP3s and has an AM/FM Stereo in it also. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

MP3, CDRW, and Remote

I have also been doing lots of looking. I finally made a solution that seems to work well. I have a Rio Volt150 CD/MP3 player that also plays CDRW, as well as having an FM tuner.

The unit also comes with a wired remote with a clip. I usually clip it to the top of the tank bag. A few weeks back I found a wired remote for it with a display so it is even easier.

The other things I have tried is MP3 playback off of an iPAQ, it also works great.

My favorite thing about the CDRW is that I can delete them and start over. They also have 210MB discs that are about 3x3.

I like mine so much I use it for airplane travel as well as the motorcycle.

-=Brad

My Music Solution

After trying everything under the sun for almost 30 years, I found the (my) final music solution.

Sony XM radio. I've mounted it on my tank bag with no external wires save the power "in" and the line out to my ear phones. For the earphones, I use "earbuds" (I think they're called) from the guy in Florida that makes form-fitting plugs.

Here's a lousy picture I just took of the bag on the KGT. I've used this on another bike, all over the place, including in Mexico. It pulls out for stashing at the less-savory parking areas, and transfers from the bike to the car to the house with a click....

Best ten bucks a month I ever spent. I think the hardware can be had for about $150 these days.

Attachments

• dsc00001.jpg
    dsc00001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,656
I was looking for an MP3 player, when the guy at Circuit City began to tell me about these. I bought the Sony that day, and I think it's great. With my old MP3 player, if I wanted to carry around more than the songs that were loaded, I had to buy extra memory, which was expensive. With the MD, I can buy 4 disks for $8.00 and fit over 20 CDs on them collectively. Nothing like taking a group's entire catalog with you on one inexpensive re-recordable disk!

MD vs IPOD

I had a MD and someone decided that they wanted it more than me. With the insurance money, I bought a 10 gig IPOD. works on either mac or pc platform and automatically updates to the songs on your comp. I have only about 4.2 gig's and it totals over 9 days of continuous music. All the typical settings for cd operation, random, playlists, etc. Only downfall is battery life is about 11 hours. With the older version (new one just out) I got a cig lighter adapter and a 110v charger. Normally it charges off the comp. connection. I don't think the new ones have the charger or power cords yet, they are different from the first generation which is a usb connectioin. Great sound and easy to use. It also can store data, programs etc as it is simply a mini hard drive.

Keeps me in tunes....

Deacon:clap

Yup iPod is the way to go

I too have the iPod. There is also a remote that you can get for it. I don't know if it's feasible to mount it on the bars but I had no trouble with it dangling on the tank bag.

(I'm up to 9 days of music and with the new .aac file type it provides higher fidelity and a better compression algorithm er...More noise less space.)

I've got a Sony net MD. Great little unit. Each disk holds about 62-65 songs. No woories about skipping even on very rough roads. I mounted mine in my tank bag and the remote sits on top, Velcroed to the map case so I can change songs, skip, go back, or stop the music very easily.

Re: Yup iPod is the way to go

itchybro said:
I too have the iPod. There is also a remote that you can get for it. I don't know if it's feasible to mount it on the bars but I had no trouble with it dangling on the tank bag.

(I'm up to 9 days of music and with the new .aac file type it provides higher fidelity and a better compression algorithm er...More noise less space.)

The 10gig Ipod is on clearance at Best Buy for 199 bux. Is there a remote for this model? Has anything changed with the newer models I should be a ware off? I'm also looking at the IRiver and Minidisc units.

music on 2 wheels

i just bought a creative labs nomad zen 60 gb MP3 player. i only own about 20 gigs of music, but the notmad (note: not nomad, *notmad*) software makes it easy to move data from the hard drive to the MP3 unit with its USB2 connection. now, i'll have a full backup of all my data with me at any given time.

i justified the expense -- $379 at amazon -- by telling my SWMBO that is was *both* an entertainment device as well as a data backer-upper.

it'll play thru my etymotic er-6 canalphones. they sound as good as the much more expensive etymotic er-4s do on a bike, and can be had for about $100.

now, to figure out how to plumb in the sound output of the SPIII, valentine, AM/FM, and skyfi satellite radio.

and MAYBE one of them li'l DVD players w/ a 7" screen, for use only on the interstate . . .

%^)

Back