• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can someone explain how to remove R100GS left fairing panel?

ohiorider

Has anyone on the forum removed the left fairing section on their 1991 + R100GS? It appears from a physical inspection that it can possibly be removed without removing the instruments and their panel. I'm hoping it is no more involved than removing the windshield, left turn signal, and a couple of bolts that attach the left side to the roo bar and to the headlight surround. Any advice about removing this panel would be appreciated. I believe with the left fairing side removed, I can repair the slightly damaged headlamp socket where the wire bulb retainer is attached.

Thanks

Bob (Ohiorider)
MOA 56434

Yes it can be done.
Remove windshield and the mounting lugs.
Remove signal light & stalk
Remove fairing fasteners

Be careful not to scratch paintwork.

Good luck!

Yes it can be done.
Remove windshield and the mounting lugs.
Remove signal light & stalk
Remove fairing fasteners

Be careful not to scratch paintwork.

Good luck!
Thank you, Darryl. Hopefully, getting into the headlight will allow me to do some repair work. Looking at your signature, I see you own one of these nice old machines, too.

Bob (Ohiorider)
MOA 56434

Here's my old gal! I'm the first owner ..... bought her at Andy Pelc BMW, Canton, Michigan, in March of 1991. Today, the odometer shows slightly more than 150,000 miles. Top end has been refreshed with Black Diamond valves, new valve guides and springs, and BMW rings. Still on original pistons. So far, 22,000 miles on top end overhaul.

This pic was taken in March of 2016. GS was 25 years old at the time.

Last edited:
Nice looking bike!

Mine has 51,000 miles 37,000 by me since I bought it 3 years ago. Have it all apart doing the transmission circlip thing.
Replaced a broken spoke in the rear wheel, R&R shock bushings yesterday only to find the lower shock eye cracked right through.
Going to a aircraft certified welder today to get it fixed.

Attachments

• 2015 FL Rally 012.jpg
    2015 FL Rally 012.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 63
Back