• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Help near Warsaw, IN?

I'm going to be flying out from CA to IL to do a Fly-n-Ride to pick up 2013 R1200GS for a friend at the end of February. It will need tires before I start the ride back to the left coast. If someone near Warsaw IN would be kind enough to let me use their garage and some tools to mount tires, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bill

bikeparts@dslextreme.com

I'm going to be flying out from CA to IL to do a Fly-n-Ride to pick up 2013 R1200GS for a friend at the end of February. It will need tires before I start the ride back to the left coast. If someone near Warsaw IN would be kind enough to let me use their garage and some tools to mount tires, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bill

bikeparts@dslextreme.com

End of February in IN is likely really cold. Especially, this year. Go to Uhaul, rent a truck and drive it home. Then worry about the tires.

But, that is just my opinion.

I second the dangers of riding more than a few miles this time of year. If you've never ridden in single digit temps having that long a ride in front of you would be brutal, and dangerous! Consider at least trailering to warmer weather in the south before riding the rest of the way.

Take Photos - Document The Ride

It was -32 yesterday morning here in Michigan. It has to be warmer in Indiana. Take photos - this would make a great story for Owners News. When you make it and show that those Southern California riders don't scare off from a little bit of cold weather - they should give your article a cover shot.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

The average HIGH over the next week, in Warsaw, will be 18 degrees. A number of nights in minus territory. Snow on the ground and some roads currently....more snow in the forecast. I live 45 miles from Warsaw, even if I could get out of my neighborhood, I wouldn't risk the temps, let alone the danger of our road surfaces to get there. If you're flying into Illinois, you must be renting a vehicle to go the additional 200 miles+ to Warsaw. I'd say rent a pickup from Enterprise Rental, pick up bike and haul to a more southern route for better weather. Do an Enterprise drop off. Find a convenient tire changing location close to your drop off point (or along the way). You'll have much better chance for a successful/timely trip...and still get the fun of riding home. Good luck.

Last edited:
If your geared for the cold, the temperature shouldn't be an issue. Ice would be your biggest issue, so keep a look at the weather. Other than that, if your used to cold weather riding, it can be some of the best days you'll spend on an MC. I've ridden from St. Louis to Knoxville Tennessee in a day that started out at 9 degrees in the morning and never made it over 30 all day, but with heated gear, it was enjoyable. I just did a 120 mile round trip up to Gateway MC for my service Friday, and starting temps were at 4 degrees F. But again, you have to be the right type of individual to enjoy the cold ride. If coming through St. Louis, I've got a bead breaker and spoons/compressor if you want to stop by and use them. I'm located in DeSoto MO, about 35 miles southwest of St. Louis.... Walt E.

Last edited:
Back