• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Eagle Rider Self Guided Tour Originating in Billings, MT

learnin4life

BMWMOA# 182127
My wife and I are considering taking a self guided tour of the Yellowstone area offered by EagleRider. This may be quite a trip since the first week we will be taking a guided tour via bus of Yellowstone, and the following week heading out on our own for a week with a rented bike. Wife says no camping, just 4-star hotels every night--LOL. We've ridden 2-up on a couple of trips lasting several days and feel that we want a little longer trip while experiencing an entirely new area.

I'm interested in whether anyone with an interest in this region has any prior experience with renting bikes from EagleRider's Billings location. Likewise, if you've taken one of their self guided tours, please let me know how things went. Since we'll be flying to the area, and staying in hotels for the first week with another tour, I'm thinking about shipping our gear to a hotel in Billings so we can have our own stuff (ATGATT) for the ride. Would be interested to know whether anyone has had success shipping gear to a hotel for a bike tour.

This summer should be a hoot if these plans pan out. Any advice anyone can share would be much appreciated.

I can't imagine a week on a guided bus tour! Not something I would ever sign up for. I prefer the independence to explore on my own.

Ugh, I was hoping for a little more constructive feedback from this august group. However, I understand the sentiment.

Yellowstone is a gigantic park with many different and interesting areas. I can see the value, especially if this is your first visit, to doing it by a tour.

While I have no experience with EagleRider, the area has lots of great roads, beautiful scenery and should be a a lot of fun. Do you have any additional info on where the self guided tour will take you? Time of year is important, too. Last time we rode in Yellowstone we had temps hitting the 90's every afternoon. We tried to ride in the morning, drink plenty of morning, and enjoy air conditioning and a good meal when it was really hot.

Good luck.

This map depicts the suggested general area for the self guided route. I understand that the elevation can greatly influence the day-to-day experience. Its interesting that your experience was so consistently warm.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. A lengthy fly-and-ride will be a first for me.

Yellowstone Self Guide.jpg

Day 1: Billings Arrival
0 mi / 0 km
Day 2: Billings - Sheridan
130 mi / 209 km
Day 3: Sheridan - Cody
150 mi / 242 km
Day 4: Cody - West Yellowstone
180 mi / 290 km
Day 5: West Yellowstone
0 mi / 0 km
Day 6: West Yellowstone - Bozeman