• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Great Ride Last Weekend

ScottM

Motoring Malcontent
Since this is my first post, let me say hi. I bought a R1150R last October after being out of motorcycles for over 25 years. ;)
Am learning to deal with the weight, power and shear grins of riding such a nice machine.

To the ride: Met up with the River City Beemers in Sacramento for breakfast and then went on their organized ride. A little over 200 miles with a stop halfway through for lunch/munchies. Was great fun and the weather was BEAUTIFUL. Upper fifties and sunny. At times would break out of the trees and see the Sierras off in the distance shining white in the sunshine.

The ride varied between high speed sweepers on two-lanes to very technical and tight riding through trees on one lane and less paved back roads. This brings me to a question.

At one turn coming down a small hill with a left turn at the bottom (road wet) I tapped by brakes and my rear wheel locked up and slide to the right. (no ABS) Scared the b'jesus out of me but I recovered and made the turn. What is the best way to keep this from happening? I assume that the rear wheel was unloaded due to the downhill nature of the road and corner. Stay off the rear and just feather the front to bleed off the speed?

Really like the site and have been lurking for sometime. Thanks.

You're in the right neighborhood, Scott. Brake before the corner and accelerate out.

I only use my rear brake when I've got a passenger or at low speeds in parking lots.

Welcome back! Those roadsters are way cool.

Hey Scott

Good to have you putting in your two cents.
However, those of us who are under the snow don't want to read about you California guys riding and all that. So you are not allowed to post any more ride reports until AT LEAST APRIL 1.
Just kiddin'.
What color is your bike? Like it?

Love it!!

Got the black one with system cases and touring windshield. Had to lower the pegs and raise the bars. Now have an appointment with Rick Mayer in Redding (drive in 1st weekend in March) to replace the stock seat. This is the only thing I dislike about the bike. I'm a well fed ex-farmer (6'4" 250 lbs) and it just is comfortable on rides over 60 miles.

As far as ride reports in CA, sorry about that. I'm just trying to give you all something to look forward to. Just for the record, the only thing Ca has going for it is the weather and some nice back roads. Politically it sucks and the cagers are all out to get us.

:eek

Re: Love it!!

ScottM said:
As far as ride reports in CA, sorry about that. I'm just trying to give you all something to look forward to.
Scott, Cliffy may complain, but I need a good vicarious motorcycle ride once in a while. And pictures.

Wish list:
- pictures of roads without snow and ice
- pictures of grass
- pictures of blue sky
- pictures of motorcycles

Thank you.
-boxergrrlie

You sound pretty easy to please Boxergirlie.I am in the Wet Coast North and soon,I will be riding again.I promise many cool pictures(if I can figure out the computer stuff!).

You sound like you need the First gear pants I have to sell....Nah,prolly way too big...

OK. Here's one I took last Sunday.

2366503-M.jpg

"boxergrrlie, come west...come west...come west..."

yes, my bike is tryiing to hypnotize you. If you don't look at her straight on, you can sometimes catch her winking.

eyes.jpg

knary said:
"boxergrrlie, come west...come west...come west..."
Geez - a smiling dualsport trying to lure me to mountains, blue sky, and green grass.....
Scott, your bike and I are running away together.
KBasa said:
It was about 9 and we still had a little fog hanging around.
When I first read that I assumed that '9' was the temperature.:yow

KBasa said:
Did you put on Ricky Bars? Tina's got them on her R and they're awesome.

No, the stock bars seemed fine to me. I just needed to raise them up a bit. Bought the BMW bar risers.

Now if that seat appointment would just hurry up. :p

Back