• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1200rt 2008 56k miles rear wheel bearings

pch123

Ozzie Flyer
I am told by dealer mine are shot? Normal at this mileage? Big deal? Anything else to consider?$1k to replace in Australia.
First issue for this bike.
Best regards
Paul

I am told by dealer mine are shot? Normal at this mileage? :dunno

Paul,

That is odd as the bearings are sealed and should last a wee bit longer that quoted.

What type of riding are you doing, highway or dirt/gravel. What are you carrying extra. Apologies for the silly questions, but sealed roller bearings typically don't wear out that fast. Something is missing here?

Last edited:
Nothing else in the back that pricey so it sounds like we're talking FD here. Only other thing that pricey is the driveshaft with U joints.
The mileage is earlier failure than some and more than a few failed earlier yet.

OP- you can easily check this yourself. The rear wheel shake in two planes should not produce more than 1mm of movement as measured at the wheel. Also, if you remove the caliper so there is no brake drag, and pivot the FD down you can spin the drive disconnected with the wheel off. It should be dead smooth and not leaking.

If there is play (some would say any but BMW allows u to 1mm), or if rotation is notchy or even if the drive is just leaking you probably need or will soon need rebuild or replacement of the FD. The big seal on it can leak without any other issues being present and is a fast and cheap repair but often it can also be a bad bearing causing a seal to die..

Hi
Service mgr tells me crown bearing and needle bearing gone plus seals to replace
Parts at $600 so labour at $400 = 3 hours work to pull apart and replace.
Crown bearing $340 needle bearing $190 plus seals

Parts seem ridiculous to me labour seems sort of ok.
Regards
Paul

Its a typical price for a rebuild. If you want much cheaper you'll either need to find a used FD or do it yourself

The reality of motorcycle final drives is that over a whole lot of miles (100K or more), all 3 types, chain. belt or shaft, are approximately equally expensive. Ratio of parts and labor and frequent of maintenance vary but costs come out similar..

Also, if you remove the caliper so there is no brake drag, and pivot the FD down you can spin the drive disconnected with the wheel off. It should be dead smooth and not leaking.

".. pivot the final drive down.... disconnected..."

Not understanding. My '02 has some slack at 63K and I need to check. Could you clarify?

".. pivot the final drive down.... disconnected..."

Not understanding. My '02 has some slack at 63K and I need to check. Could you clarify?

Your '02 is not a hexhead. Completely different rear-drive (you own a what?) Slack - play between the gears - is normal. Side to side movement of any shaft or roughness in turning a shaft indicate failed bearings.

Back