• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

08 R1200RT - advice please - Co-Pilot, Zumo 660, SPOT & installation

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
Hi all,

Happy New Year to each and everyone of you! May this year bring you much success and joy.

I am planning my farkle purchase for my 2008 R1200RT, and I am asking for all advice on installation etc.

Any photos you have of your installation would be very helpful too.

I will start with my list, then ask my questions. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Neil
604 258 8548

1. http://www.bmrproducts.com/products.php?cat=31

co-pilot shelf
Gusset Accessory arm (for Spot?)
Adjustable Tilt Mount Bracket (I assume I need this to mount the touratech mount to)
Zumo 660 sun visor

2. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...mo-660-665-handlebar-mount-V2-0-Locking-Black

TOURATECH Zumo 660 / 665 handlebar mount V2.0, Locking, Black

3. http://findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=102

the new - Spot Satellite GPS Messenger

4. http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/zumo-660.html

Garmin Zumo 660LM

Questions
And please note that I have, virtually, ZERO installation experience & knowledge with everything regarding a motorcycle.

1. Are there any rubber mounts or vibration installation devices required? If so, what and where to do I get them?

2. I understand there may be a free connector for power for the Garmin Zumo available under the dash near the headlights?

2 (a) Is this so?

2 (b) If so, what part do I need to get from BMW?

2 (c) AND will it then connect directly or do I need to order additional electrical wiring (etc)?

2 (d) If I need additional electrical stuff, can you please be specific?

3. Current thinking is that it would be good to mount the SPOT device on the Gusset Accessory Arm. What are your thoughts? How would I mount (any suggestions)?

4. Do you know if the Sun Visor will work with the Touratech mount?

5. Do I need the bmr tilt mount to attach the Touratech mount onto it?

6. Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance for your help, recommendations and directions.

Hi all,

Happy New Year to each and everyone of you! May this year bring you much success and joy.

I am planning my farkle purchase for my 2008 R1200RT, and I am asking for all advice on installation etc.

Any photos you have of your installation would be very helpful too.

I will start with my list, then ask my questions. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Neil
604 258 8548

1. http://www.bmrproducts.com/products.php?cat=31

co-pilot shelf
Gusset Accessory arm (for Spot?)
Adjustable Tilt Mount Bracket (I assume I need this to mount the touratech mount to)
Zumo 660 sun visor

2. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...mo-660-665-handlebar-mount-V2-0-Locking-Black

TOURATECH Zumo 660 / 665 handlebar mount V2.0, Locking, Black

3. http://findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=102

the new - Spot Satellite GPS Messenger

4. http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/zumo-660.html

Garmin Zumo 660LM

Questions
And please note that I have, virtually, ZERO installation experience & knowledge with everything regarding a motorcycle.

1. Are there any rubber mounts or vibration installation devices required? If so, what and where to do I get them?

2. I understand there may be a free connector for power for the Garmin Zumo available under the dash near the headlights?

2 (a) Is this so?

2 (b) If so, what part do I need to get from BMW?

2 (c) AND will it then connect directly or do I need to order additional electrical wiring (etc)?

2 (d) If I need additional electrical stuff, can you please be specific?

3. Current thinking is that it would be good to mount the SPOT device on the Gusset Accessory Arm. What are your thoughts? How would I mount (any suggestions)?

4. Do you know if the Sun Visor will work with the Touratech mount?

5. Do I need the bmr tilt mount to attach the Touratech mount onto it?

6. Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance for your help, recommendations and directions.
That is a lot questions all at once. Maybe a bit overwhelming. I have the Zumo 660 installed on my RT (previously on my GS) and I'll try to answer a couple:

1) The Touratech locking mount has rubber mounts built-in which do a decent job at dampening vibrations.
2a) Yes. If not under the dash, then somewhere near.
2b) I think I remember I had to get some kind of BMW adaptor. Yout dealer will tell you which.
2c) I think it will connect directly to the Canbus system, and will thus be protected.
4) The photographs showing the Sun Visor seem to show that it works. The opposite would be surprising. I have another kind, whis is attached with hook-and-loop on the sides and top of the GPS, and a cut at the top of it to accomodate the Touratech mount.

Tha's about all the help I can give. Some posters may disagree with me. The Spot thing, i know nothing about.

Oh, one thing: I had my Zumo installed on a special BMW bar on top of the dash, just under the screen. That way I keep the road ahead in sight even when I glance at it. I don't think I would have liked it on the handlebar. YMMV.

Zumo mount

That is a lot questions all at once. Maybe a bit overwhelming. I have the Zumo 660 installed on my RT (previously on my GS) and I'll try to answer a couple:

1) The Touratech locking mount has rubber mounts built-in which do a decent job at dampening vibrations.
2a) Yes. If not under the dash, then somewhere near.
2b) I think I remember I had to get some kind of BMW adaptor. Yout dealer will tell you which.
2c) I think it will connect directly to the Canbus system, and will thus be protected.
4) The photographs showing the Sun Visor seem to show that it works. The opposite would be surprising. I have another kind, whis is attached with hook-and-loop on the sides and top of the GPS, and a cut at the top of it to accomodate the Touratech mount.

Tha's about all the help I can give. Some posters may disagree with me. The Spot thing, i know nothing about.

Oh, one thing: I had my Zumo installed on a special BMW bar on top of the dash, just under the screen. That way I keep the road ahead in sight even when I glance at it. I don't think I would have liked it on the handlebar. YMMV.

Zumo mounting
Thank you so much for your feedback. Yes lot's of questions, I thought it would be good/beneficial to lay it all out. Perhaps not!

Can you tell me more about your special BMW bar and how your Zumo is mounted? A link to the product perhaps?

I choose the co-pilot for the above dash mount. Didn't know there was another product that could do the same thing.

Thanks again.

RAM mounts

I mount my SPOT over the brake fluid reservoir using a RAM mount. I got mine at dualsporttouring.com but other places sell the BMW part. It mounts on top of the existing metal cover, but you have to use the (included) longer metal screws.

Generally, I don't think we're supposed to "advertise" in our signatures. Probably against the BMW MOA forum rules.

-Scott

The bar is a BMW accessory that was installed by my dealer. I also bought a couple of clips to fix the Touratech cradle (not exactluy the same model as yours) to the bar. I don't have specific photos of the installation, but I join a crop of a bigger photo to at least show you the general idea. You can also see the sun shade I have, which is called The Hood. Hope it'll help.

Attachments

• Zumo-mount-1.jpg
    Zumo-mount-1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 179
Here is another one (I don't know why I can't upload two photos in the the same post.)

Attachments

• Zumo-mount-2.jpg
    Zumo-mount-2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 181
I live fairly close to the dealer and just decided to let them install it for me. I used the BMW bar as showed on a previous reply on this thread. I know some people like to tinker with things themselves, other just like to save money by doing it themselves and then there's me thought process. The dealer does it everyday, has all of the parts needed to do it properly and will stand behind the install.

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I would consider a dealer install.

Best regards,
Jason

BMR Shelf.jpg

Here is the BMR Co-pilot mount with BMR adjustable mount and touratech mount on my '09. I have a Valentine One on one accessory shelf and the Zumo 665 XM antenna on the other.

I highly recommend the BMR Co-pilot. Solid as a rock and excellent quality. Puts Zumo in very convenient spot with excellent line of sight. I have had no need for a sun visor.

Plenty of room for a SPOT on a shelf.

I have recently added a 5 LED mini light bar to the top of the Zumo that is dsigned for and plugged into the Valentine One and warns me of radar directly in my line of sight. (Not in pic)

Also photo was taken with Cee Bailey's Dark Grey Tinted Sport Shield.

2011 - R1200RT - Wunderlich mount

Nice position, no vibration.

RT15.jpg

RT17.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Back