• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1979 R65 (American) issue with headlight electrical.

mikeentner

Ok guys -- seriously having a nervous breakdown with the R65 (1979 vintage). I have deduced that the relay receptacles are wonky for the light relay and the indicator relay. If I plug in the relays and jiggle them around, I eventually get the indicator buzzer to work and the front head light lights up. When I start the bike, the headlight turns off as is proper (during the crank to send all juice to the light), but the light is always on, from the moment I plug in the light relay until the time I turn it off. Does anyone know what tells the light to be off when the key is not on or the bike is not switched to start? Also (on a side note), what is the best way to fix the relay receptacles? This is absolutely killing me :-( Thank you in advance!!!

light always on

The light is shut off while cranking by the starter relay. Check there first and you'll see on the wiring diagram where a wire goes to the headlight relay from the starter relay, which provides a ground. When starting, this wire becomes "not grounded", thus causing the headlight relay to not operate.

The light is shut off while cranking by the starter relay. Check there first and you'll see on the wiring diagram where a wire goes to the headlight relay from the starter relay, which provides a ground. When starting, this wire becomes "not grounded", thus causing the headlight relay to not operate.

Thanks Bruce. I think that's working right :) The problem I'm having is that the headlight stays on all the time. the only way to get it to go out is to pull the relay (or crank the bike during which it goes off during the crank like it's supposed to -- right?)

Let me say that I am not a mechanic or an electrican. However, I have had the same problem before and it turned out to be a bad relay. I attempted to replace it with a "local" relay purchased at Auto Zone, and although I made sure it was hooked up right, it did not work properly. I ended up ordering a BMW relay and all was good. I did take it apart and say that one of the diodes was burned up. With a 79 that is reasonable.

Let me say that I am not a mechanic or an electrican. However, I have had the same problem before and it turned out to be a bad relay. I attempted to replace it with a "local" relay purchased at Auto Zone, and although I made sure it was hooked up right, it did not work properly. I ended up ordering a BMW relay and all was good. I did take it apart and say that one of the diodes was burned up. With a 79 that is reasonable.

I just re-posted to see if I could get any more responses but I am going to try another relay. BMW has ordered two relays (both wrong) and I think I have the right part and pin out now so I'm going to give it another shot before I complete pull my hair out! Also, of note, the relays I have are manufactured in 11/78 and they do not appear to show a diode in the schematic, but they do appear to be original BMW parts.

mmm m m m m...

I just re-posted to see if I could get any more responses but I am going to try another relay.

Just an observation ... rather than "re-posting" in an attempt to gather more input, keep adding to your original post. It does the same thing; brings the post back to the top of the page -plus- it also maintains a continuous thread which is helpful when referring back to the topic.

Give Motorrad Elektrik a call. I can't think of anyone who knows more about airhead electric bugs than Rick does. I'm sure he's heard of this problem before.

EDIT - Starter relays are in the "Chassis" section (for some reason :scratch).

Last edited:
Just an observation ... rather than "re-posting" in an attempt to gather more input, keep adding to your original post. It does the same thing; brings the post back to the top of the page -plus- it also maintains a continuous thread which is helpful when referring back to the topic.

Give Motorrad Elektrik a call. I can't think of anyone who knows more about airhead electric bugs than Rick does. I'm sure he's heard of this problem before.

+1 on both counts. multiple threads on exact same topic (even by different posters, let alone by the same party) are annoying and distracting, to say the least.

Back