• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BRP/Skyline Drive ride

xrsc

Chris
I have ridin the Blue Ridge Parkway many times but never in its entirety! Two weeks from now I am taking 4 days and starting in Cherokee, NC and riding the BRP/Skyline Drive ending in Front Royal, VA and then back home...was looking for any advice, lodging recommendations, suggestions etc., for this ride? Any info is appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Two suggestions for you: 1) a place to stay in VA is the Hotel Floyd. Very nice place, and just off the BRP. URL here: http://hotelfloyd.com, and 2) Skyline Drive is in the Shenandoah National Park. If you're over 62, get a Senior Pass (good forever) to the National Park System.

In terms of actual riding, be aware that some of the higher elevations might be foggy this time of year, and that speed enforcement is more robust when the BRP goes near Roanoke, VA. The BRP is used by locals there as a commuter route.

Other than that, have fun!

Two suggestions for you: 1) a place to stay in VA is the Hotel Floyd. Very nice place, and just off the BRP. URL here: http://hotelfloyd.com, and 2) Skyline Drive is in the Shenandoah National Park. If you're over 62, get a Senior Pass (good forever) to the National Park System.

In terms of actual riding, be aware that some of the higher elevations might be foggy this time of year, and that speed enforcement is more robust when the BRP goes near Roanoke, VA. The BRP is used by locals there as a commuter route.

Other than that, have fun!

Thanks ExGMan, will check it out!

Not sure about this, but I think near Front Royal there is a BRP Ranger Station where you will be stopped & charged a fine for continuing the rest of the pkwy, which isn't far. I am sure I had to pay a fine, but not sure where or why...was probably lost :).

Not sure about this, but I think near Front Royal there is a BRP Ranger Station where you will be stopped & charged a fine for continuing the rest of the pkwy, which isn't far. I am sure I had to pay a fine, but not sure where or why...was probably lost :).

I don't think it's a fine, but actually the fee for the Shenandoah National Park Entry. Here's the URL for the fee: http://www.visitskylinedrive.org/Plan-Your-Visit/Fees.aspx

Here's a URL with more general information: https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/driving-skyline-drive.htm

I think both the BRP and the SD both have a detailed foldout map with all the pertinent info by mile marker. Shows all the historical and geographic points to stop and visit as you travel the parkway and drive. I consider it a must carry. Ride and enjoy, I sure did, Barry.

I think both the BRP and the SD both have a detailed foldout map with all the pertinent info by mile marker. Shows all the historical and geographic points to stop and visit as you travel the parkway and drive. I consider it a must carry. Ride and enjoy, I sure did, Barry.

You can get the planner book at any of the places on the BRP which provide visitor services. Here's a link to information about that planner: http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=73

The BRP website itself has an online map to help you plan before you get to the park.

Once you turn 62, you can get the Senior pass, good for the rest of your life. It was $10.00 for years and years but this year raised to $80.00. Still a good deal at $80.00 Last month I drove through Yellowstone and the entry fee was $25.00. Probably same fee for the Skyline drive. The BRP is great but the Skyline speed limit is 35mph and more strictly patrolled. Everyone has to do it once, but there are some very good roads that run parallel to it that have speed limits of 45/55mph and not the crawling tourist traffic. Course, you're in October/November so maybe not much traffic.

westmotorcycletrip_2014aug_0065a.jpg

Picture above is from my "kitchen sink days". I've minimized quite a bit since then, and I'm not camping anymore so I've lightened my load quite a bit.

20150521_113550.jpg

Above is running the BRP on top of one of the ridges

I have stayed more than once at a basic chain motel in downtown Luray, not far off the BRP- just before you get to Skyline Drive (heading north). Right near the motel, easy walking distance is a small bar that clams "best burger in Virginia" or some such. In ny case, I've eaten in there every time I've stayed in town. Decent ales, and a good burger after miles of smiles on the BRP? What's not to like.

With any weather "problems" one might encounter (fog, rain, clouds) on the higher elevations of the Blue RIDGE (read ridge tops) Parkway, it remains a National Treasure in my humble estimation. I've ridden various sections many times, but never done the whole thing at once. Last ride on it, July 2017, was awesome. Along the way, I saw a red fox, 2 golden eagles & other raptors, deer, a bear, and a rattlesnake between where I got on at Floyd, and Front Royal.
My trip was on a busy day, espsecially once I got north and entered the Skyline Drive portion of the ride, but still enjoyable. I'm sure everyone knows it is NOT a road to "make time" on, so you just relax and go with whatever flow you encounter... flow, or lack thereof, as the case may be.

I've ridden the BRP in sunshine, pouring rain, and fog so thick I could barley see the road directly in front of the wheel. Whatever weather is happening in the valleys below, the BRP and SD can sure be a whole other world. For those who may not know, the speed limit on the BRP is 45 MPH and on Skyline Drive it drops to 35. I just set my cruise control and swoop gently along as I take it all in, usually pushing it a little bit, but not excessively. Enjoy!

BRP/SD ride

I had to start my ride early because of the not so good weather this weekend! I left on Wednesday morning and returned Friday night, riding around 1100 miles. Because of the several closures on the BRP I decided to pickup the Parkway in Cherry Lane NC. I stayed at the Hotel Floyd the first night in Floyd, VA and then made it to Front Royal, VA the second night. The third day I rode all day back home to beat the impending bad weather for Saturday (today). I really got lucky with the weather during my trip, all 3 days were sunny with the temps ranging from the low 40`s to the mid 60`s! It was a fantastic ride and also found some new back roads on my way home. I will definitely do this ride again next year but with starting in Cherokee, NC and riding it completely. Thanks again for everyone's input on this ride!

Chris

a3ky0m.jpg

wb42ol.jpg

Last edited:
Chris, thanks for the update. I was concerned because the good weather is gone and today is raining. I thought you might be stuck on the parkway in a puddlefest. Glad you had a good ride. Inspires you to do more.

Chris - Sounds like you had a fine ride. I hope the folks at the Hotel Floyd treated you well. I go down to Hendersonville, NC every April and stay at the Hotel Floyd either heading North or South.

Since you're in the area, you should plan on coming to the MAO Fontana Dam Getaway weekend which will probably be held for maybe the 5th year in 2018. It's a fun event.

JG

Chris, thanks for the update. I was concerned because the good weather is gone and today is raining. I thought you might be stuck on the parkway in a puddlefest. Glad you had a good ride. Inspires you to do more.

Thanks Bluehole....inspiring always!

Chris - Sounds like you had a fine ride. I hope the folks at the Hotel Floyd treated you well. I go down to Hendersonville, NC every April and stay at the Hotel Floyd either heading North or South.

Since you're in the area, you should plan on coming to the MAO Fontana Dam Getaway weekend which will probably be held for maybe the 5th year in 2018. It's a fun event.

JG

Thanks for the heads up about Getaway 2018...will definitely check it out! Hotel Floyd was a great place and local restaurants were very good!

Back