• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What are you reading?

knary

looking for a coal mine
Every once in a while I get a sci-fi itch. I just finished reading an old Asimov book, "The End of Eternity". I had borrowed from my father's adolescent collection from the 50's and 60's. It was somewhere between quaint and entertaining.

There's a stack of books on the nightstand. I haven't decided what to read next.

What are you reading? Any good?

Stuck in the beat generation

Since Tom Robbins refuses to write books anymore, I am helplessly stuck in rewinding the Beat Generation for another go.

Right now I am stuck in The Portable Jack Kerouac edited by Ann Charters.

This "readers digest" of Kerouac gets into some of the lesser known works, and delves into the overall theme that everything he wrote ties together as one grand epic journey.

Since time is limited right now, most likely this book will make it to Gillette with me before it's done.

Since Tom Robbins refuses to write books anymore, I am helplessly stuck in rewinding the Beat Generation for another go.

Right now I am stuck in The Portable Jack Kerouac edited by Ann Charters.

This "readers digest" of Kerouac gets into some of the lesser known works, and delves into the overall theme that everything he wrote ties together as one grand epic journey.

Since time is limited right now, most likely this book will make it to Gillette with me before it's done.

I briefly misread a snippet of the above as, "The Portable Jack Kerouac edited by Ann Coulter". :ha

The Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortensen and David Oliver Relin.

Building schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan to help develop understanding, provide education for girls and offer an alternative to fundamentalist teachings. Ignorance is the enemy.

My ride around Central and S.America drinking tea is in part a result of something I heard and which this book re affirms. Taking time to communicate , over cups of tea, can breakdown may barriers and accomplish much.
So every day at 4pm I'll stop and make tea for people, 3 cups.
(Republic of Tea are sponsoring me with supplies of tea).

My nominated charity for the ride is http://www.ikat.org/

Central Asia Institute is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization with the mission to promote and support community-based education, especially for girls, in remote regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Enjoy Three Cups of Tea!
The #1 New York Times Bestseller Three Cups of Tea: One ManÔÇÖs Mission to Promote Peace, One School At A Time, by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, recounts the journey that led Greg Mortenson from a failed attempt to climb PakistanÔÇÖs K2 to successfully building schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan. The book has been on the NY Times Bestseller List since the paperback was released by Penguin Publishers in February 2007!

Greg MortensonÔÇÖs Speaking Schedule
www.threecupsoftea.com for more information.

As we are a small planet and what happens there, matters here. I hope that even though I'll be in the Americas rather than Asia, there will be a commonality of interests, education from communication and the message can be promoted.

The 3 cups ride will include a stay at a school in Guatemala where we will work, free of charge, to help communicate understanding.

The 3 cups ride is a journey of communication and sharing understanding, I hope that at some point this thread will have BMWMOA members posting that they are reading the blog of the ride, who knows maybe even the book.

Ignorance is the enemy, help Greg fight it...send your support to him.

this just came in the mail today: national geographic guide to scenic highways & byways, the 275 best drives in the U.S.

i just finished reading "indian tribes of Hudson's river 1700-1850" and i also just finished reading "the lost gold mine of the Hudson"

if you want to read something motorcycle related this book was written by my buddy and riding partner Piet Boonstra "motorcycling stories: adventure touring from the northwest territories to the yucatan peninsula" i can even get you an autographed copy if anyone wants one.

but my favorite author besides Rand McNally is Clive Cussler

Every once in a while I get a sci-fi itch. I just finished reading an old Asimov book, "The End of Eternity". I had borrowed from my father's adolescent collection from the 50's and 60's. It was somewhere between quaint and entertaining.

There's a stack of books on the nightstand. I haven't decided what to read next.

I re read a short novel by Ray Bradbury. ALthough a story of his own youth, the story has a helping dose of fiction thrown in for good measure,

The book shows early glimpses of Bradbury's later books science fiction writing. The part in the book about the happiness machine has a sci fi feeling combined with old town personality that I found really cool, as well as the fortune teller and the circus that comes to life (alive) in the story. All staged in Ray's home town, which of course was bottled and capped in the same manner which dandilion wine was bottled and capped in my home town 40 years later. That's what makes this book so cool..timeless, with roots in the subtle flavor of science fiction...

And the wine, like memories, can be sipped slowly for many, many years.

Opening Argument, a Young Lawyer's First Case: United States v. Oliver North by Jeffrey Toobin. The author was a just-admitted attorney, the youngest staff member of the Office of Independent Counsel. He is an excellent author, and is now a staff writer at The New Yorker magazine.

I'm feeling a little artsy fartsy so I'm reading a retrospective on Galen Rowell.

Opening Argument, a Young Lawyer's First Case: United States v. Oliver North by Jeffrey Toobin. The author was a just-admitted attorney, the youngest staff member of the Office of Independent Counsel. He is an excellent author, and is now a staff writer at The New Yorker magazine.

That is an interesting fact that I didn't know.

In a kind of related way, the lawyer who argued the 2nd amendment case in front of the Supreme Court said the other day that it was his first appearance in front the the Supreme Court. He won big!

Currently Reading "Roadshow" by Neil Peart

I'm about half way through. It's an entertaining read; lots of visual imagery, humor, grief, and a few helpful notes about long road trips.

Thirteen-gun Salute by Patrick O'Brien

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Started Angels and Demons while I was stranded waiting for a rear tire in Houghton MI after the RA rally

I love asimov... my favorite was his trilogy called "the foundation"

it featured a concept of a mutant who could see and set the emotions of people. wouldn't that be nice? :evil

right now I am just starting to read "the quest for democracy in iran: a century of struggle against authoritarian rule" by fakhrsddin azimi.

ian

I love asimov... my favorite was his trilogy called "the foundation"

it featured a concept of a mutant who could see and set the emotions of people. wouldn't that be nice? :evil

right now I am just starting to read "the quest for democracy in iran: a century of struggle against authoritarian rule" by fakhrsddin azimi.

ian

I grew up on Asimov. Reading it now, while I enjoy it and respect his exploration of what were then new and/or innovative ideas, there's a peculiar and ugly ruthlessness to many of his lead characters. He seems to admire the calculated and manipulative man who eschews romantic notions of good and bad. Its as though Machiavelli's ideas of the means and the end are the right ideas.

Nevermind his distrust of anything female. But then it wouldn't be sci-fi if women weren't simultaneously dangerous sorceresses and beguiling innocents. :ha

But, again, I really like it for what it is. I reread the Foundation series not long ago. Good stuff.

reading is for nerds. im glad the ON has pictures in it or i wouldn't even bother opening it. i'm currently "reading" a book features photos of seagulls.

Funny about Asimov. I've never read him, but I remember reading a columnist who described him as "the steak-and-buffet reastaurant of American literature. What he lacks in quality, he makes up in quantity." The writer went on with the comparison by saying that if you didn't like what Asimov had out any moment, no worries, just wait a sec and he'll bring something else out to the buffet.

As for what I'm reading, it's an old hardcover book I found in a La Madeleine one night. It's called Dallas Public And Private...Aspects Of An American City. Published in 1964, this book digs into the psychology and organisation of the city that killed Kennedy. Really interesting stuff, especially its indictments of angry right-wing absolutists and how un-Americanly they behaved in a bygone Dallas.

Back