• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1100 Clutch Push Rod Seal

richo2006

Hello,

I have a '93 K1100LT that has a leaking clutch push rod seal. BMW doesn't supply this seal any longer. Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement oil seal?

Regards,

Richard in Commerce Township, MI.

Are you referring to the rubber boot on the back of the trans where the clutch rod comes out? If so, check with EME. I purchased one from them last fall for my LT.

If you are referring to #23211451061, the seal in the back end of the input shaft and through which the clutch pushrod passes, that is a 9x15x4 seal and chances are very good that if you go to a hydraulic supply house or a bearing house they can source a seal that size. Make sure you note the orientation of the old seal as it is removed—the purpose of that seal is to keep trans oil from migrating forward and fouling the clutch.

Best,
DeVern

Maybe I'm not tracking here, but it seems the seal in question is BMW part number 23211451061, which is shown as available on the MAX BMW parts fiche for $13.73. It is the replacement for the earlier seal # 23211451159 and both are shown as 9x15x4 dimensions. What am I missing?

Yes, good catch! RealOEM is showing that number as ENDED, with no substitution available:

Shaft seal 9X15X4 1 23211451061 ENDED
Part is not longer available
No alternative component available

Hopefully the part is actually in stock at MaxBMW and not an inventory error. And hopefully RealOEM will update their fiche.

Or vice versa... :confused:

Edit: Bob’s BMW is also showing that seal NLA. If true, I hope this is a temporary situation as that seal is used across all the early K-bikes...

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Hopefully the part is actually in stock at MaxBMW and not an inventory error.

Best,
DeVern

Max only updates their Classic bike parts fiche once a year. So, if the part was discontinued during the past year, it would not yet reflectedon their fiche. This is true for both price and availability.

:dance:dance:dance

If you can't find it at one of the US BMW sites, they have them in the UK. I can't remember if I got mine from Motorworks or Motobins. I got one of those small seals from one of them and just replaced mine a couple of months ago.

https://www.motobins.co.uk

Select your bike. Select Gearbox. Should be sixth row middle column.
Around $18 US with shipping.

So $9 less if you don't mind the wait (which is longer than normal due to Covid). The $27 Ebay one would probably be quicker.

https://www.motobins.co.uk

Select your bike. Select Gearbox. Should be sixth row middle column.
Around $18 US with shipping.

So $9 less if you don't mind the wait (which is longer than normal due to Covid). The $27 Ebay one would probably be quicker.

So, what is anybody's guess of how long Motobins or others will have this seal available? Is it prudent to stock up on a couple of one has a K-bike collecting habit? :brow

So, what is anybody's guess of how long Motobins or others will have this seal available? Is it prudent to stock up on a couple of one has a K-bike collecting habit? :brow

Given that the seal is listed as ENDED rather than “backordered, no delivery date specified”, I would hazard a guess that these won’t be reissued by BMW. That said, a shipment could arrive tomorrow for all we know. If you’re worried about it, lay in a couple. That seal is a unicorn, I think—I’ve not been able to find a non-BMW source for that size.

Best,
DeVern

Just did that this morning. I ordered 5. I need them because I replace transmission input shafts on peoples' transmissions that have neglected their clutch spline lubes.

The bean counters at BMW have taken control of inventory the past few years. More and more they are refusing to remake out of stock items for the older bikes. Not like the "good old days" afew years ago.

Hello,

First I'd like to thank all the people that responded to my original post.

My local BMW dealer told me on Monday (3/15/2021) the push rod seal is no longer available and that BMW has no plans to supply it. I called Euro Motoelectrics and they are out of stock. Today I called Max BMW and they said the part is available, so I order the seal. Hopefully I'll see the oil seal in the near future.

Regards,

Richard in Commerce Township, MI

Being an older dealership with four locations, plus the fact that that seal fits so many of the older Kbikes, it's not suprising that they still have a few on the shelf.:clapYey Max!

Given that the seal is listed as ENDED rather than “backordered, no delivery date specified”, I would hazard a guess that these won’t be reissued by BMW... That seal is a unicorn, I think—I’ve not been able to find a non-BMW source for that size.

The bean counters at BMW have taken control of inventory the past few years. More and more they are refusing to remake out of stock items for the older bikes. Not like the "good old days" afew years ago.

Well, nature abhors a vacuum... I wouldn't be too surprised if someone in the aftermarket starts to manufacture these for sale though places like Motobins, EME, and other non-dealerships (especially now that everyone is seeing this thread and immediately buying all of the remaining ones on the shelves, signalling the market there is a new demand...:brow).

Back