• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Weatherproof Pants On A Budget - Scorpion Seattle Overpants Review

moshe_levy

All-

Is it even possible to get true four season functionality out of inexpensive overpants? Tune into the latest Moto Mouth for an in-depth review of Scorpion's Seattle Overpants to find out!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0HKX_uR1tZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

Odd Cut

I ordered the Seattke Overpants last spring as they were the only pants that hit all the points I wanted: waterproof, vented, full length zips, and able to be worn as a stand-alone pant or an overpant. I had to return them as the waist was cut ridiculously low, more like a woman's fashion pant than a protective riding pant. Beware the odd cut!

I ordered the Seattke Overpants last spring as they were the only pants that hit all the points I wanted: waterproof, vented, full length zips, and able to be worn as a stand-alone pant or an overpant. I had to return them as the waist was cut ridiculously low, more like a woman's fashion pant than a protective riding pant. Beware the odd cut!

I guess it depends on your build. I kind wish they sat a little lower on me!

-MKL

Geez, just get the bottom half of BMW's Rainlock 2 rain suit.$109

If you're riding around all the time in something waterproof, you're likely pretty hot a lot of the time.

With separate rain pants you only wear them when you need them, and if you have mesh pants you can wear them to stop the airflow simply to keep you warm.

Rolls up pretty small, requiring hardly any storage space.
41XCs7wmgPL.jpg

Two separate animals, Kent. The Scorpion pants are armored cordura pants for someone who wants to wear waterproof motorcycle pants. They're not separate rain gear, and they breathe fairly well (certainly better than nylon rain gear does.) Some people don't want to deal with rain gear, so this would be a good choice for them if they're in this price range.

-MKL

It's a great review, once again. Thank you, Moshe.

In long-term use of rain pants in Seattle commuting, I've found that rain pants with a built-in liner will eventually start leaking in the crotch. I suspect it is because the inner liner is pulled when the boot slides through -- or catches on the liner. Duct tape works great as a fix for this, by the way.

I bought some Olympia pants years ago. At first, I thought the way they made their pants waterproof was a bother. There was a separate rain pant from the outer Cordura pant material. What a hassle, I thought. Putting on two sets of pants and as a commuter in Seattle, I needed that rain liner.

Over time, I realized the wisdom in having a separate rain pant liner. (Note that while you can fasten the rain pant liner in with the outer Cordura pant, I leave it separate.) Putting the rain liner on by itself, takes only seconds. It's lightweight and slides without catching on the boots. The outer Cordura pant slides easily over that...easier than over blue jeans by themselves. And the liner on the Olympia pants breathes like a Goretex liner would.

In the summer, I just roll up the rain liner and carry it with me in my bags. The outer Cordura pant has some breathability, and in the case of the Olympia pants, the thigh area unzips and leaves a mesh area for some ventilation.

And if I ever find the rain pant liner leaking through use and age, it is easy to replace with any rain pant sold by an outdoor sporting goods store like REI or Cabella's. Replacing the entire riding pant because of a leaking liner, is no longer needed.

I don't want to come across as knocking the Scorpion pants, just to present an alternative.

Chris

Good video, very informative and I LIKE the Guzzi!

The pants seem like quality gear to consider....Thanks for posting.

Hi Chris-

I feel as you do. For my personal gear, 3 seasons, I wear non-waterproof (armored) motorcycle pants (Motoport) and I carry rain gear "just in case." In the winter most of the heavy stuff is waterproof anyway, so no need for rain gear then. Sometimes my opinion changes based on the gear I test, and in this case I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of these pants at this price range. Someone with $230 or so can feel good about buying these instead of dropping more coin on separate garments.

-MKL

One of the things I noticed about these pants that I liked, is the reactive armour. The vents and waterproof pockets are nice as well. They are good pants for someone in the market for something new. Like you, I rarely wear rain gear anymore, even though I ride all year round, as long as it isn't snowing. It isn't hard to find good quality gear that has waterproofing built into the design.

Question...what do you do with this gear when you're done with the review? If you have Motoport gear, I can't see you leaving that in the closet to wear this new gear.

Chris

One of the things I noticed about these pants that I liked, is the reactive armour. The vents and waterproof pockets are nice as well. They are good pants for someone in the market for something new. Like you, I rarely wear rain gear anymore, even though I ride all year round, as long as it isn't snowing. It isn't hard to find good quality gear that has waterproofing built into the design.

Question...what do you do with this gear when you're done with the review? If you have Motoport gear, I can't see you leaving that in the closet to wear this new gear.

Chris

Hi-

I generally put the test gear on my commuting duty for at least a season (less expensive gear) and sometimes over a year (for more expensive gear.) My commute is 107 miles per day. So you'll note most of my tests (video and print) say "after X months / miles" so that the viewer / reader knows what kind of test I've put it through. I really do test this stuff - I'm not rewriting the manufacturer's press releases or running it for a few weeks, because that's just not long enough to really see how stuff holds up.

You asked what happens at the end: Several things. Some manufacturers want the gear back, because it's expensive and they can sell it, even used. Some don't want it back and in that case, it becomes either property of the magazine, or mine, depending on the publication. In general, the more expensive things are, the more the manufacturers want them returned after testing is complete.

-MKL

Back