• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need help posting to the BMW facebook page about my 2005 r1200gs with leaking seals

espressoforyou

Hey fellow riders, do me a favor and follow this link to the Motorrad facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/BMWMotorrad?ref=ts&fref=ts

When you get to their facebook page on the right hand side you will see a box that says "Recent post by others on BMW Motorrad" Look for my name: Randy Holdford and post your comment there. Thanks alot.

When you get there please post some comments about the well known problem of counterbalance and engine output seal leaks on the r1200gs and the final drive failures for other BMW bike. I have had a total of 15 seals replaced along with the counterbalance and the counterbalance shaft bearing and I am still having leaks. The clutch has been replaced once and the transmission input and output seals several times along with the clutch slave cylinder.

Fortunately all repairs have been covered under the factory warranty and/or the two year parts and labor warranty. I appreciate BMW covering the cost under warranty but at some point the seals are going to start leaking "one day" out of warranty and it will cost me well over $1,000 for the repairs. Plus I have had to deal with the inconvenience of my bike being in the shop a cumulative of over 11 months. Now I have electrical problems which were probably cause by the bike being broken in half 7 time for the seal "repairs".

I appreciate your help. Some people think I am whinning about a 7 year old bike and maybe I am. But the point is that the bike has been leaking since 2006 and around 9,000 miles on it and they have not been able to fix it. And I don't want to hear the comment that I should trade-in the bike and buy an new one. I have a son in college that is costing me $2,000 per month for 4 years and I am totally debt free and plan on staying that way.

I would like to send a LOUD message to BMW that when they have a problem with a bike that they should admit it and make the proper repairs. All manufactures have defective products at some time or another and that is to be expected. It is how they "own-up" to the problem that shows how good a company they are.

Thanks for your help. About the only way I have found to reach BMW management is by posting on their facebook page.

Hey fellow riders, do me a favor and follow this link to the Motorrad facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/BMWMotorrad?ref=ts&fref=ts

When you get to their facebook page on the right hand side you will see a box that says "Recent post by others on BMW Motorrad" Look for my name: Randy Holdford and post your comment there. Thanks alot.

When you get there please post some comments about the well known problem of counterbalance and engine output seal leaks on the r1200gs and the final drive failures for other BMW bike. I have had a total of 15 seals replaced along with the counterbalance and the counterbalance shaft bearing and I am still having leaks. The clutch has been replaced once and the transmission input and output seals several times along with the clutch slave cylinder.

Fortunately all repairs have been covered under the factory warranty and/or the two year parts and labor warranty. I appreciate BMW covering the cost under warranty but at some point the seals are going to start leaking "one day" out of warranty and it will cost me well over $1,000 for the repairs. Plus I have had to deal with the inconvenience of my bike being in the shop a cumulative of over 11 months. Now I have electrical problems which were probably cause by the bike being broken in half 7 time for the seal "repairs".

I appreciate your help. Some people think I am whinning about a 7 year old bike and maybe I am. But the point is that the bike has been leaking since 2006 and around 9,000 miles on it and they have not been able to fix it. And I don't want to hear the comment that I should trade-in the bike and buy an new one. I have a son in college that is costing me $2,000 per month for 4 years and I am totally debt free and plan on staying that way.

I would like to send a LOUD message to BMW that when they have a problem with a bike that they should admit it and make the proper repairs. All manufactures have defective products at some time or another and that is to be expected. It is how they "own-up" to the problem that shows how good a company they are.

Thanks for your help. About the only way I have found to reach BMW management is by posting on their facebook page.

While I empathize with you, I think you'd be pissing up a rope. That said, do lemon laws apply here?

pounch1 you might be right but I have received some goodwill from posting to facebook

Last year after trying to contact BMW corporate to no avail I posting a nice comment on their facebook page asking for assistance. With-in 24 hours I was contacted by the BMW manager of customer assistance and motorcycle buy-back. He was very helpful in acting as a liason between the local dealer and the BMW regional service rep. They evidently pay attention to their facebook page. So I am attempting to get several members post comments on the BMW facebook page concerning my ongoing problem.

Thanks for you comments and I would appreciate you taking the time to post to the link I posted.

Thanks very much. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

I had a call today from Anthony at BMW corp concerning offering help with my bike.

Anthony who is the manager in charge of manufacture buyback and trade assist with BMW NA called me today to discuss my bike. After sending out emails to 10 top BMW NA corporate heads on Monday I heard back from Anthony. I worked with Anthony last year and he was helped get my bike repaired. During my conversation with Anthony he said that the only way to fix the leaking seals on my bike is to "replace my engine". Which is another way of saying that my bike was defective from the factory and is not repairable. I have been trying to get this point across to BMW for 5 years. Anthony said that a new engine would cost $9,000 which is more than the bike is worth. BMW offered me a rebate if I purchased a new bike but the number offered is not near large enough. I will keep you posted on the outcome

Anthony who is the manager in charge of manufacture buyback and trade assist with BMW NA called me today to discuss my bike. After sending out emails to 10 top BMW NA corporate heads on Monday I heard back from Anthony. I worked with Anthony last year and he was helped get my bike repaired. During my conversation with Anthony he said that the only way to fix the leaking seals on my bike is to "replace my engine". Which is another way of saying that my bike was defective from the factory and is not repairable. I have been trying to get this point across to BMW for 5 years. Anthony said that a new engine would cost $9,000 which is more than the bike is worth. BMW offered me a rebate if I purchased a new bike but the number offered is not near large enough. I will keep you posted on the outcome

Something like this happened on another forum with a Chevy product, specifically a Suburban. I have the same issue with mine, which affects GM 5.3 V-8s that have Active Fuel Management and are aluminum block and heads. After 40-50K miles, some burn oil and the lifters go bad. Anyway, His engine needs to be replaced and Chevy offered $3K towards a new Chevy. That's incredible. Incredibly bad. I guess they feel there's nothing to lose by offering a low ball as a sucker might take it. In your case, I have to wonder if it's a lemon law deal, but it might not be in your state. In any case, I think they should make it right one way or another.

Did you buy the bike new? If so, did you ever try to lemon law it? If not, contact an attorney. A manufacturer worth their salt would have already tried to help you. The fact that it has gotten this far is proof positive they don't care. Well past time to sue them. The dealer doing the repairs... did they stick up for you? Or, are they trying to bury it under the rug as well?

The bike was 6 months old and had 5,000 miles on it when I purchased it.

Since I did not purchase the bike new the lemon law would not come into play. Bloodworth BMW did not want for me to drop it off for repair last summer. They had already tried to repair it 2 times. It took them 4 months to repair the bike and the repair lasted 50 miles and I had to take it back to the shop the next day. They fixed it in two days this time.

Any suggestions? It appears that the email blitz to the corporate heads and the posting to the BMW facebook page is getting some attention. I will keep you posted.

It could be worse. I was reading the K1600 forum and BMW refused to replace a fuel pump under warranty because it didn't have enough miles on it, 2000 total IIRC. Sometimes things like this make me wonder why people, including myself, buy their bikes.

Since I did not purchase the bike new the lemon law would not come into play. Bloodworth BMW did not want for me to drop it off for repair last summer. They had already tried to repair it 2 times. It took them 4 months to repair the bike and the repair lasted 50 miles and I had to take it back to the shop the next day. They fixed it in two days this time.

Any suggestions? It appears that the email blitz to the corporate heads and the posting to the BMW facebook page is getting some attention. I will keep you posted.

Suggestions? Absolutely! Call an attorney. If what you are saying is true you deserve a legal remedy although the fact it was a used unit may make it more difficult if not impossible, I would still contact an attorney.

Back