• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Finding Latest Posts

Liaison
Staff member
How is this information updated for each individual? I've noticed that some posters have been adding content to the various forums, but if you click on their username and click on "find posts by xx", the most recent post from that person might be months ago, when in fact they've posted within the past 24 hours.

Just wondering how the "magic" worked...

running the risk of sounding like a software guy, i'll say "it isnt supposed to work that way." maybe there is a bug?

can you give me an example? the best way to begin tracking down and solving a bug is to reproduce it.

Since it has been a week since the search function malfunction was reported, I hope I won't piss off too many people by asking for a status report on the problem.

This is the online central forum where these type of issues are legitimately discussed.

Thanks is advance for any insight into where we are.

Search Function and T.O.T.S.

Anyone notice that searching for past posts in the T.O.T.S. forum don't show up? If you go to the advanced search screen and try to search only that forum, it's not on the list.

Is this a hole in the forum software? How does something like that get fixed?

the most recent post from that person might be months ago, when in fact they've posted within the past 24 hours.

I'm guessing here. It looks like one of the features of TOTS is that it is excluded from searches. If they posted in TOTS, it won't come up in any searches.

I'm guessing here. It looks like one of the features of TOTS is that it is excluded from searches. If they posted in TOTS, it won't come up in any searches.

"Feature"? When there's a bug in software, it's called an "undocumented feature". Maybe I missed something when the TOTS forum was set up. Makes it hard to find something in that forum if all you can remember is a keyword or phrase.

TotS postings are excluded from the search index on purpose. Otherwise, TotS postings would show up in general searches, and people who would rather not visit the area might be drawn in accidentally. The forum software doesn't offer enough flexibility to do more than choose yes or no, so no it is.

Thanks for the insight... In the "old days", Campfire was the precursor to TOTS. In my mind, there's somewhat of a similarity between the two fora. Is Campfire the kindler-gentler discussion area...and that's why it's still in the search fields?

Exactly. The campfire has always been restricted in posting topics the way the rest of the forum is. TotS is the experimental exception.

One inadvertent side effect WRT to the TOTS forum restrictions is that while an individual's post count is properly reflected every time they post, if that post happens to be in TOTS, you can't find those new posts by following the individuals username and clicking on "Find More Posts by xxx". You have to hunt and peck to find those newest posts.

Just thought I'd add that...

Back