• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally and local noise abatement regulations

mark from maine

I have invited a friend to attend the 2011 rally. He has another brand of MC with aftermarket exhuast. It is louder than stock. Not straight pipes but yes louder than stock.

I read in the Rally frequently asked questions section that a "bike must meet local noise abatement regulations". Any body have any idea what specifically these regulations are?

I would hate to make the five hundred mile trip only to find out that he could not enter the rally grounds. If indeed his bike is too loud it would be nice to find out sooner than later.

Thanks,
mark

Last edited:
Greetings
Being a local and reading the Press Enterprise I have never heard of a ticket being written for a only excessive noise. There are a lot of loud pickups, HDs and hot rod kids in this area. Excessive noise only draws unwarranted attention to oneself.

The monster truck rally caused many complaints from locals and the truck parade though town was cancelled. Tickets were written for alot of things and some of those may have been for excessive noise. This rally draws a lot of people and generates a lot of income for local business. It is a major event Bloomsburgs but if you live 20 miles away you would not that they are in town.

If you have to ask.
Is my motorcycle is to loud?
Most likely it is to loud.

Tony

Lots of straight pipe cruisers, with helmet less riders riding around PA. Unless you are amplifying your exhaust through a bike mounted "Blues Brothers" size speaker, you should not turn any heads at all.

I read in the Rally frequently asked questions section that a "bike must meet local noise abatement regulations". Any body have any idea what specifically these regulations are?

In order to be as"business friendly" as possible to HD and its customers (there's the York, PA assembly plant), PA has adopted lenient helmet and exhaust noise standards.

I would hate to make the five hundred mile trip only to find out that he could not enter the rally grounds. If indeed his bike is too loud it would be nice to find out sooner than later. Thanks said:
No one has ever been turned away at a BMW MOA Rally because of loud pipes!

Local Law Enforcement my have other ideas!

Greetings
Being a local and reading the Press Enterprise I have never heard of a ticket being written for a only excessive noise. There are a lot of loud pickups, HDs and hot rod kids in this area. Excessive noise only draws unwarranted attention to oneself.

The monster truck rally caused many complaints from locals and the truck parade though town was cancelled. Tickets were written for alot of things and some of those may have been for excessive noise. This rally draws a lot of people and generates a lot of income for local business. It is a major event Bloomsburgs but if you live 20 miles away you would not that they are in town.

If you have to ask.
Is my motorcycle is to loud?
Most likely it is to loud.

Tony

Well put - "If you have reason to ask, it's probably too loud."

Given the gentle, Amish neighborhood we're about to invade for a week, it behoves all of us to tread softly (loud pipes?!) and leave a good impression. :german

Well put - "If you have reason to ask, it's probably too loud."

Given the gentle, Amish neighborhood we're about to invade for a week, it behoves all of us to tread softly (loud pipes?!) and leave a good impression. :german

"clop, clop, clop, clop, clop, bang, bang, clop, clop, clop, clop, clop"

.............Amish drive by shooting.........:)

The law enforcement community is very supportive and I would wager they will be more into community policing than run some special checkpoint to weed out riders.........or even check for weed.............I mean noise.

Ah...nothing like the sound of loud pipes a few feet from your tent as you are trying to sleep off the effects of last evenings beer tent activities. :hungover Almost as bad as that airhead trying to start next to me on a cool morning at the VT rally. :stick

I have invited a friend to attend the 2011 rally. He has another brand of MC with aftermarket exhuast. It is louder than stock. Not straight pipes but yes louder than stock.

I would hate to make the five hundred mile trip only to find out that he could not enter the rally grounds. If indeed his bike is too loud it would be nice to find out sooner than later.

Thanks,
mark

With H-D being the most popular brand of motorcycle and with seemingly all of them having louder than stock exhausts, I can't imagine your buddy having a problem.

Back