• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is THIS "Retro" enough for ya?

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
PURISTS BEWARE! :D

This off the BMWMOA FaceBook page- a custom build retro looking BMW, built around an R1200R motor.

This greatly descriptive paragraph says it all- and more! :brow

"The beefy chassis parts and wide flat twin look all the more muscular with the old school tank and tractor-style seat grafted on, with 50′s style bullet tail lights and lack of rear subframe over the exposed rear fender. The components conspire together to create a bike that looks like a manga heroÔÇÖs retro ride from an imagined future-past."

http://thebikeshed.cc/2012/11/13/galaxy-r1200r/

Calaxy-BMW-THUMB.jpg

Should be cheaper than a R1200R, right, since they got rid of all the extra "stuff"?
:brow

That's a cool custom, for sure.

THAT is the "cruiser" that BMW should have built years ago. It makes strong and unique visual cues to the classic /2 and /5 Airheads of the past with a clean fresh modern look. Not a Harley cruier wanna-be with no connection to the hostory of BMW.

I love that look. I like naked bikes more than a dressed bike around town in good weather. I need the RT for long trips. That's about the nicest naked Beemer I've seen. I particularly like the single seat. No pillion needed!

THAT is the "cruiser" that BMW should have built years ago. It makes strong and unique visual cues to the classic /2 and /5 Airheads of the past with a clean fresh modern look. Not a Harley cruier wanna-be with no connection to the hostory of BMW.

Eggzackly. This is most definitely what many of us would love to see from BMW. a well conceived retro-modern rider with a horizontal twin engine, which draws unmistakably from several eras or generations of classic BMWs...
Sadly, BMW isn't imaginative enough to pull this bike off. Leave it to the off-site wing nuts with no pressure to uphold investor-driven profit motives.

I personally hope it sounds (and handles) as good as it looks!

I'm sorry but to my eye it looks like the worst from BMW and HarleyÔÇÖs Fat Boy combined into one. What's the deal with the wide dual sport rear tire on the front? I see the AFC (anti fender coalition) got their way again.

Retro BMW

That looks like the bike that:

1) Arnold Schwarzenegger should have ridden in the original Terminator movie.
2) the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse would ride.
3) the German Wehrmacht used.
4) that I must have.

And I'm not even a naked bike guy!

Kent

I'm sorry but to my eye it looks like the worst from BMW and HarleyÔÇÖs Fat Boy combined into one. What's the deal with the wide dual sport rear tire on the front? I see the AFC (anti fender coalition) got their way again.

I'm not going to leave you hanging out there in the cold alone. I like the look of the bike, but yes, I would not buy it. Which might be why BMW won't make it.

I too don't get the tires. They do look cool, but don't seem to fit from a usage point of view.

But again, I do like the look, a lot. Same for Harley, love the look, not the ride.

I too don't get the tires. They do look cool, but don't seem to fit from a usage point of view.

Oh, I like the tires. Where we live the best restaurants, music venues, bars, the farmers market, grocery market, motels, and gas station etc. all have sandy gravel parking lots. :)

Terlingua, Texas - where pavement is a luxury.

This is what the cruiser *should* have been.... and word is that bikes like this are going into production....

BMW-Custom-Concept-Study-11.jpg

More images here....

(soon BMW will figure out that the pinstripes they had on the /2s were cool....)

Ian

This is what the cruiser *should* have been.... and word is that bikes like this are going into production....

Ian

The exhaust looks like a styling exercise because the headers are *way* different lengths. Sort of a BMW Speed Triple look.

I see fenders...:dunno

And a wide dual sport tire looks pretty good on that bike to me. Bring it on!

Back