• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This is a GPS/Scala question combined

the-oz-slider
I run a Garmin 660 and a Scala Q2 package on my Shoei Neotec/2007 R1200Gs and I want to be able to listen to regular FM radio [for the weather forecasts as well as the variety], rather than always listening to my ipod. The Scala claims to have preset FM stations on it, but they are simply terrible in our neck of the woods...
Does anyone know what I need to do/buy to make it all work? I was told there is an add-on for an ipod that acts as a radio receiver and allows the full spectrum of FM stations to be received loud and clear....then I read somewhere else that this product is discontinued.
In lieu of the following, is Sirius XM radio on a bike viable?

Worse case I have a set of old Datsun speakers im gonna mount on the top of the screen with fencing wire and hook 'em up to an 8 track I found somewhere. I also have an old His Masters Voice bakelite brown radio with the fabric cover over the speaker I can use if needed.....
Thanks, serious comments or those in jest will be appreciated........
Al

One idea...

You can search for other (not preset) FM stations with the Q2. Press Volume Up or Volume Down for three seconds to start searching to higher or lower frequencies. Once found, a station can then be saved as a new preset. Check out the "Working with the FM Radio" section in your Q2 manual.

Good luck!

I run a Garmin 660 snip In lieu of the following, is Sirius XM radio on a bike viable?

XM on a bike is very viable. Your Garmin model should do it I think. My 550 does XM with an optional ext antenna, and it does it very well. There are attachments for the garmin mount that incorporate the antenna too.
I have been WAY less than impressed with XM weather on the Garmin, and the traffic service is so so, but those are additional options using the XM bandwidth.

You will have to pay for another subscription, the interface is decent, the reception is pretty good. You will NOT get local stations though thru the XM.

John

I bought the Scala G9 earlier this year. Have not had any issue with the FM radio when used. I like the Bluetooth using my Nano.

You'll be better off with Sirius if you want both reliable reception and a range of content.

There are two realities for FM radio
1) Unless you're smack in a large urban area you are not in range of much content. And even then, see below, strong stations will stomp all over the weaker ones that you might want to hear.
2) That is partly because modern FM receiver design is cheap junk with very poor sensitivity and selectivity compared to older heterodyne circuit sets of 40 years ago. The last time I checked the only reasonably competent consumer FM radio one could purchase was the GE Superradio and that was about a decade ago- and its a tabletop model.

The FM receiver on Scala is there as a marketing item and is worthless outside of an urban area- got all the generations and don't waste my time with the FM feature.

Years ago when there was still some decent FM content I had an antenna with beam capability on my chimney 40 ft up hooked to the best existing stereo receiver- I got one or more stations on every FM channel in SE rural NC and could routinely listen to stuff from mid VA to GA. I don't bother these days..

Scala fm

Ok, I'll complicate things by suggesting that having both fm and am would be good, then I get coverage all over and can listen to whatever I want, including all the sports and political crap.....

Radio

Ok,
I saw a Jensen brand waterproof radio for sale on fleabay, and it claims to be ipod compatible, soooooo, if I buy that radio, and hook it into my ipod, which feeds into my Garmin 660/scala, does anyone have any experience with these Jensen radios in that scenario by any chance, please and thank you.......????
I t
Have given up trying to get decent reception out of my Scala on the FM radio mode....in my area its just hopeless.....
Or if there is another option I'd appreciate commentary..
Thanks
Al

This is a systems integration problem. I searched for Jensen Radio, found one, and:

Front panel audio AUX-in for use with iPods, MP3 players & portable CD players
3.5mm headphone jack pigtail & 2-channel stereo speaker output

So, If your Scala has a wired input jack, you could connect the Jensen so it plays to the Sena. Then, you could wire an iPod to the Jensen. As I read it, the Jensen should pass the iPod audio through to the Sena.

Lots of wires.

Don't see any mention of Bluetooth and that would be a more problematic issue requiring at least one of the items to have multiple bluetooth channels. There. is a Sena hub that has this feature, and my new iPod Nano was bought to connect to my Cardo via Bluetooth.

So, good luck!

This isn't the 60s. The high power AM stations of that era that one could receive in large areas of the country at night are essentially gone.
AM, like FM, is low powered stuff these days though with perhaps a bit more range the FM. Anyway, my comments about receiver design and quality still apply- there is no such thing as a high sensitivity and selectivity AM receiver small enough for your bike.

Back