• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Low Beam Headlight Out.....Wiring?

roch2nite1

Anyone familiar with Low Beam headlight wiring? Need help to trace power back from H7socket.

My K1200GT has a HID xenon lamp mod (Which is the way I purchased it). The Low Beam HID lamp didn't light the other morning, so I disassembled the bike to troubleshoot. I found a poor quality intallation and wires all over the place. Also found a blown 7.5A fuse in the power line to the HID ballast. Replace the fuse, but no light (Did start the bike to check). I removed the old H7 connector from the HID conversion and checked for 12 volts there. No Power.

Anyone run into this before?

Not a smarty ass question...but you checked the socket when the bike was running and not just with the key in the on position?
I have seen several relays go bad in aftermarket lighting set-ups..not familiar with the HID set ups...maybe the ballast is shorted out to blow the fuse?

End Results

I removed the complete HID Xenon assembly. Picked up a H7 halogen at a local auto part store for around $20 and installed the lamp.

1, The first time I started the bike, no low beam and "lamp out" indicator still on. BUMMER
2, I shut off the bike and deceided to put it back together so I could ride it using the hi beam. PLAN B
3, After loading the bike for a trip to the beaches in Delaware, I started it a road down the driveway to meet up with the friend......No "lamp out" indicator. COOL
4. When I arrived to our meeting place, the low beam was on and working fine. EUREKA!!

Unless someone out there is an expert on this...Here's what I think. Since the fuse was blown in the power line to the HID, I must have had an overload (Maybe ballast) And since the bike has no fuses and uses some type of resetable circuit breaker, I think it was still timed out when I checked for 12 volts, or it won't reset without a load (Lamp). Once the lamp was installed...eventually...the circuit breaker reset and viola..."Let there be Light"

Even though this story ended up happy, I'm certain there will be more trouble lurking. so my mission is to dig up any information to help me understand the K12GT Wedge bike and repair it myself when ever possible and properly maintain it so I have minimal surprises to insure years of top quality riding. IMPOSSIBLE you say.......I hope not.

Great news.

One thing you can do (if not already) is get all the information from the aftermarket HID system.

I try to do the most i can myself - one of the joys of bike ownership I think

Back