• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who has the longest commute?

daveslash5

I know that I don't; mine is only 12 paces from my back door to my studio.
During most of the year my R1150RT is my vehicle of choice for travel and errands, but back during the 80's and 90's I did regularly commute on two wheels and usually arrived with a smile on my face. Now on beautiful days I almost wish that I did have a commute so I could use that as an excuse to ride!

Last edited:
If there's an award given out for this I won't even be close.

I commute 45 miles one way. Fortunately living in rural Oklahoma it's 45 miles and about 45 minutes. Usually about 1/2 rural roads and 1/2 slab. On the way home or if I leave early enough I'll take all rural country roads but it adds about 20 minutes to my ride - not a bad thing unless I'm running late.

Actually miss the daily commute as it got me on the bike every day. The closer I got to retiring made it hard to actually stop at the office...if it was nice, I kept going and used a leave day:clap

I had a 60 mile round trip, but the home leg often reached closer to 60 on it's own if the mood hit.

I work contract so only have to go to the office 2 days/week (sometimes 3). 56 miles one way, so 112 round trip.

Commute on 'at home' days, 25 feet from bedroom door to office door.

I know it says, "Who has"

But, I'll reply anyway. From 1971 until 1981 I rode from Whitewright Texas to 4100 Bryan St. Dallas, Tex. 5 days a weeks to my job with AT&T; it was a 62 mile trip each way. I put those miles on a 1971 75/5 , a 1974 r90s, a 850 Moto Guzzi and a 1980 r100rs. The Guzzi didn't last long due to bad camshaft but it was a sweet ride. The /5 was the most relaxing and the other two got me there way to fast.

I now take my two kids ( yes I know I'm old) to school on a 180cc Kymco Racing King each day; a 12 mile round trip twice a day.

DW

Mine is probably the shortest, down the stairs and 10 steps to the office. But I generally double it by taking a side trip to the kitchen to get coffee.

70 miles round trip for me. For some reason or other, wherever I've commuted (since the 70's), it has always been approximately 70 miles.

My husband

My husband for his last 9 years of working commuted 129 miles each way. That was from our home in Niagara, Ontario to Oshawa, Ontario (which required him to drive through Toronto,Ontario).

We are so glad he retired about a year ago, it was wearing both of us down.

Now he takes the motorcycle and drives 50 miles to have a coffee, his commute to work was not on the motorcycle it was way to dangerous.

My commute is 185 miles one way. I do it once a week. From Mendocino to Sacramento in the morning, then back again in the evening....I squeeze in 6 hrs of good work time in between. I can't say I miss that commute when I retire in a couple of months, but I will miss going through the Anderson, Alexander, Napa and Sonoma Valley wine country. Bud break was a month or so ago, vines are leafiing out now, later, there will be those little berries, then finally harvest and the fresh smell of fermentation.

ride to work, ride home, repeat

Hi

My commute is 33 miles (one way) of fine California freeway, where its a race everyday at 80mph, along fellow friendly bikers of all kinds, and large buses filled with tech working brethern and sisters passing me at 75mph. I get to work I go home, 5 days a week without any excitement - which is just fine for me. Going on 10 years now...not much different.

I have a 2 hour commute(115 miles) one way to my home in the rapids and I'm working in fon du lac so I commute home on weekends to look after my home, cut grass etc.. my tools and motorcycle stuff are there so I do maintenance at home. Lucky that it's country riding mostly and no big cities to go around or through.

I thought mine would be the shortest but I've been beat.

1.5 miles a day each way except the ride home usually includes
a trip around the block which is another ten or so. :p

I commute 180 round trip from Dover DE to Columbia MD at least twice a week, long day but for the most part a nice ride. The Bay Bridge can tighten you up on a windy morning
John

Back