• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lubing Spline by removing starter

rwootan

I am having a shifting problem on my '02 R1150RT. I have heard that you can get some lube on the spline by removing the starter. Anybody heard anything on this?
Bob

spline loob

Yes, there are couple of people who say this can be done using a thinned out moly lube and a long needle/hose in a syringe.
Unfortunately, there are a bunch of other people, who are very fine mechanics, who say it won't do any good, and can end up fouling the clutch.

I am a firm resident of the 'can't be done' clique.

First queston is, what is your shifting problem? All the gears? 1st to 2nd? 2nd to
3rd? Do you have issues with "false neutrals" between the gears?

Is the clutch properly set up, that is, no clutch drag when you are shifting. How about your technique with a dry clutch and a typical Oilhead 5-speed tranny?

Do you pre-load the shift lever before you shift. Do you only use about 1/3 of the clutch lever travel as you chop the throttle at the same time for each shift. This all makes a difference in accurate shifting on Oilheads.

Back