• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rebuild Everbest Petcock - R25/2

Liaison
Staff member
I've been having issues with the petcock on my R25/2. When the knob was turned off, there was still a dribble of gas. That resulted in a bit of a leak at the bottom banjo fitting that brings fuel in from the bottom. So, I figured I'd better overhaul the petcock. For all I know, the parts in there are 65 years old!

I asked some questions on a German forum specific to the singles. Since not many of the single cylinder bikes made it to the US, I've started conversations with them...they've been very helpful. So, much so, that one of the guys offered to send me the internal cork needed for the carb! He had overhauled the petcock on his R23 and he had an extra. That was really wonderful of him. Took 3 weeks for the letter to get here.

So here's what my petcock looks like. There is another style that has the appearance of a "bullet"...the internal cork is cylindrical. Mine is flat.
Petcock.jpg

Next step was to remove the handle. That was easy enough by removing the two screws...again, they fought me a bit but was able to get them out. The small ring came off and the handle was free.

This picture shows the internals of the petcock. I've labeled the inlets and outlets for the petcock. The handle in this picture is in the ON position. So fuel would flow from the upper right inlet, through the holes in the petcock handle, then out the hole at the bottom to the carb. When looking at the petcock, if the long portion of the handle is pointing to the right, the petcock is off. If the long portion of the handle is pointing to the left, it is in the RESERVE position. It takes a little mental gymnastics to see how that works.

PetcockInternal.jpg

These pictures show the petcock body cleaned up. Also, here are the old and new cork along with some Hylomar and graphite. I put the Hylomar on the far side of the cork just because it seemed like the right thing to do. I put a little graphite between the cork and the handle to help the handle slide a bit.

PetcockClean.jpgPetcockParts.jpg

I laid the new cork into place. It was easy to reinstall the retaining clip, handle, with the two screws. The new cork is much thicker than the original which had compressed over time. I'm hoping that the resistance to turning the petcock with get better over time. Notice how the little port stubs don't stick out as far with the new cork as they did with the old cork. That probably explains why the petcock was leaking.

I had success...the petcock no longer drips. But I still have a leak downstream at the carb so will have to deal with that next time.

PetcockNewCork.jpg

Excellent tutorial on an Everbest single petcock rebuild

Kurt, I have been collecting and rebuilding the Everbest "torpedo" style petcocks for a while. I think along the way I may have picked up one just like yours, I'll have to look for it and see.

Back