• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1986 K75 right turn signal intermittent

jad01

So, I've been having an issue initiating my right turn signal (front and back). Sometimes when I press the right signal button, it works, other times I have to press it several times to get the signals to work. Sometimes it just won't do so at all. The left signal is 100% reliable, as is the switch on the right cluster that turns the signals off. I am pretty certain it is the switch itself.

Full disclosure: the switches are the original ones, and I am thinking about replacing them all since they are very sun-faded. However, I am curious if they can be cleaned effectively. I have a small can of Radio Shack brand Control Contact Cleaner and Lubricant... would that work? Can anyone shed some light :)laugh) on how to go about this for me (or if it is worth pursuing)?

I find I need to spray cleaner in these switches at least once a year. I use electrical contact cleaner followed by WD40. I expect your cleaner will do the trick very well.

I've used the Radio Shack stuff on a couple of TV tuners (before the digital age:gerg), an old Harmon-Kardon stereo (function selector pushbuttons), and the pushbuttons in the panel of an alarm system - it's worked pretty well.
But if there is too much oxidation on the contacts, they'd have to be lightly polished to revive them.

I've used the Radio Shack stuff on a couple of TV tuners (before the digital age:gerg), an old Harmon-Kardon stereo (function selector pushbuttons), and the pushbuttons in the panel of an alarm system - it's worked pretty well.
But if there is too much oxidation on the contacts, they'd have to be lightly polished to revive them.

My experience has been that applying the cleaner and then repeatedly using the switch several times usually scrubs the contacts clean. Especially on those sliding action contacts. The starter button switch is more difficult because it just bridges two contacts with no sliding action.

My experience has been that applying the cleaner and then repeatedly using the switch several times usually scrubs the contacts clean. Especially on those sliding action contacts. The starter button switch is more difficult because it just bridges two contacts with no sliding action.

I find I need to spray cleaner in these switches at least once a year. I use electrical contact cleaner followed by WD40. I expect your cleaner will do the trick very well.

OK, thank you both! I'll give it a try. Reading this, it sounds like I can spray it into the switch without having to disassemble the housing or dismount the switch (at least to start).

OK, thank you both! I'll give it a try. Reading this, it sounds like I can spray it into the switch without having to disassemble the housing or dismount the switch (at least to start).

I can usually work it in from the outside. But, one screw will allow you to take the switch loose and spray directly where you can see most of the contacts.

If you have to resort to taking the switch gear apart to polish the contacts, do it in a box! Springs and contacts fly all over the place and are easily lost.

If you need pieces, dealers often have old used units cheap.

Ask me how I know. :banghead

If you have to resort to taking the switch gear apart to polish the contacts, do it in a box! Springs and contacts fly all over the place and are easily lost.

If you need pieces, dealers often have old used units cheap.

Ask me how I know. :banghead

Ha- I believe it! That's why I started this thread... I disassembled the kill switch on my /7 some time back... that little sucker was a pain to get back together and I did manage to lose (and thankfully find) the little ball bearing when I did it... no desire to repeat that process. Thank you for the tip.

Hi all,
I got this done this weekend- seems to have worked great. I did loosen the switch from the bar so I could get to the back of the switch as Paul suggested, which did allow better access to the contacts for a couple of the switches. Thank you again for the insight before I fiddled with this task!

Hi all,
I got this done this weekend- seems to have worked great. I did loosen the switch from the bar so I could get to the back of the switch as Paul suggested, which did allow better access to the contacts for a couple of the switches. Thank you again for the insight before I fiddled with this task!

Great. I like success.

Back