• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally '04 Routes from California

calnalu

Off shore and glassy
Recommendations for routes between the Bay Area and Spokane? Are there any website equivalents to Pashnit.com for Oregon and Washington? I'll be riding to Spokane from the Bay Area and have no clue about good routes in the eastern parts of Oregon and Washington.

Thanks!

TOR Route

may i suggest attending Top of the Rockies rally in Paonia, CO a few days before the National. Then hook up with one of the many groups going to the National.

Probably a more interesting approach to the national.

On the way home from the National select some national parks and create a route around those visits. This method has worked well for me and made the long trip interesting.

Its not getting there, its the journey!

rally 6 days

I will be going to rally solo. I will be doing a short trip 6 day's.I wil
l be going from Petaluma CA.Would you like to hook up???

David Emge
BMWMOA#107125

Last edited:
ride from Bay Area

At least two of us plan to ride up 101 and the coast to the Columbia and then over to the rally. We plan to take a bunch of backroads on the way back. Lots nicer than just blasting up I-5. We both live in Belmont, on the Peninsula.

I have tried a couple of mapping programs for their routes from S. Cal to Spokane. Both showed going interstate 5 all the way to Washington. Seems to me that 395 would me a more direct and interesting way to go. I know that 5 is really boring at least past Sacramento. I've been up 395 as far as the Lake Tahoe area. Anyone have any experience on the section from there to Spokane or any thoughts on taking 395 from S. Cal?

395 North

Anyone have any experience on the section from there to Spokane or any thoughts on taking 395 from S. Cal?

I've done 395 from Spokane down to Chilcoot and enjoyed every mile of it. At Susanville if you want a little bit longer route, but also a bit more scenic, try Hwy 139 to Canby, then 299 to Alturas where it connects back to 395.

Between Lakeview and Burns, Oregon, you will be in the high mountain desert. Lots of interesting geology, and a couple of lakes. Make sure you gas up, as there isn't anything between the two points that I remember.

From Burns northbound the road gets curvy and you will climb and fall several times over the summits of mountains. There are several nice campgrounds along this stretch of road.

If you are pressed for time, stay on 395 at Pendleton, OR and follow into the Tri-Cities (Richland, Pasco and Kennewick). From there you are only about 2 1/2 hours from Spokane.

If you have a little more time, try heading north to Walla Walla from Pendleton on Hwy 11 , then north on 125 and east on 124 to Hwy 12 (this is the Lewis and Clark Trail). At Dodge 127 will take you across the Snake River to Dusty where 26 takes you to Colfax. You will be in the heart of the Palouse, surrounded by rolling farm fields. North from Colfax on 195 takes you right into Spokane. You'll be about an hour out of town from Colfax.

I don't think you will regret the ride.

Take the mendicino coast all the way to avenue of the giants which parallels hwy 101. At Fortuna take hwy 36 is very twisty and beautiful, but a little rough. go toward Hayfork and stay north to Weaverville, a charming gold mining town. From there you take hwy 3 to I-5 at Yreka, For a short run on the super slab to the Klamath River then cut west along the Klamath for about 60 miles to Happy Camp. There is a sweet road that goes over the Syskious to Obrian, Oregon. North to Grants Pass on hwy 199 then west to Merlin (it is on a map) From Merlin you can get to Wolf Creek or to Glendale either way is spectacular. Both of those towns are near I-5. The freeway is pretty nice through there. At Eugene Hwy 99W is a scenic farm rd that runs all the way to Portland. From Portland the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge is a better ride. At White Salmon, Just Before the turn to Hood River take the road to Trout Lake. This puts you right in the lap of Mt. Adams. Then past glenwood toward Klikitat (it is on the map) This is a mind blowing road that is spectacular beyond description. Continue to Lyle then east along 14. That is as far as I know. When you are in Spokane take a (long) day trip to Lolo Pass. It is the Holy Grail.
Bob Marshall (BXM@deainc.com)

Routes from SoCal

:idea See the thread "Routes From So Cal" by Rapid Dog & the many replys by others. I am goin from Antelope Valley up 395 to Bishop-Benton thru Nevada, SE Ore, Western Idaho. Any interest out there? Lookin for F650-GS riders mostly. Depart AV 7/10.

Last edited:
Obviously, I-5 is the fastest way from the Bay area to at least Weed, but it's also hot, boring, and full of truck traffic. I-5 north of Weed gets much more scenic, but it's not pointed toward Spokane. 395 is pretty hot, dry, and boring. Alkali flats, and all that, and not much civilization.

If you have the time and energy, 101 north to Crescent City, and 199 to Grants Pass ("Grass Pants") is a nice ride, with some great possibilities. You can either continue north on I-5, or head east to Medford, and take 234 and 62 through Crater Lake Nat. Park to US 97. Definitely take a break at Crater Lake and look around. Consider the rim drive north along the west side of the lake, through a pumice desert to 138 and east to 395.

I'd suggest staying on US 97 north to Bend, then 126 east to Prineville, and 26 east to John Day. For a more interesting and twistier road, look for a great county road just east of Prineville via Post, Paulina, and Suplee over to 395. More twists, fewer cops than 26, and about the same mileage.

Now, it's north on 395 to Pendleton, OR 11 to Walla Walla, and US 12 to Clarkson/Lewiston, and 195 to I-90 and Spokane.

OR, if you want a really great ride (that takes some additional time), consider Oregon 244 from 395 east to LaGrande, then OR 82 via the Wallowa valley to Enterprise. Head north on OR 3 to Anatone then 129 to Carkson/Lewiston, and north on 195. If you take this route, I guarantee you'll still have a smile on your face when you arrive in Spokane. OR 3 and WA 129 are "DH18" in the Destination WA handbook, with 71.2 points.

There are a number of very nice "farm highways" in eastern WA, listed in the Destination WA handbook, including Walla Walla to Dayton and N on 12 to Dodge, then N on 127 to Dusty, 26 to Colfax. That road gets 65.8 points, with lots of twistyness, good pavement, and almost no traffic. (then N on 395 to Spokane). If you're sick and tired of traffic, traffic, traffic, these backroads might be the cure for what ails you.

BTW, there are some long miles in eastern Oregon and eastern WA with fuel stops far apart. Don't zip past a gas station without consulting your map.

pmdave

If I had about 3 days to get there I would try this:

Bay Area - 101 to Cresent City.
199 out of Cresent City to Grants Pass.
234 and 62 out of Grants Pass to Crater Lake.
138 E. over to 97. 97 N. to Redmond.
E. out of Redmond on 26 to 207 (just W. of Mitchell)
207 to Spray, Hardman and Heppner.
E. on 74 out of Heppner to 395 and the N. to Pendleton.
11 N. out of Pendleton to 12 and then E, to 195.
195 to Spokane.

Possible stop overs - Grants Pass & Pendleton. The Hwy. 97 part is pretty straight and boring but does go through some nice country. 207 goes through some great canyons but you are really out in the boonies. - Bob

In reference to Hells Canyon, I was in Boise earlier this month and I did a pre run (In a car) up along part of the Snake from Swan falls dam to Hells Canyon Dam. There is some great stretches of road, should be nice this July. Some snow & ice in areas getting there in March tho.

Back