• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200RT Plumbing in an Aux Tank

k9gromit

Bad Buddhist
Planning an Aux Tank setup on my RT. Going with either a 4 gallon aluminum Jaz or a 4.75 gallon Tour Tank bolted to a BMR Flatbed Luggage Rack which goes over the pillion. It appears gravity feed will work so I will avoid doing any wiring except for a ground strap.

Can someone who has done an RT give me some tips on plumbing into the stock tank? There's a pretty good write-up on a GS with a lot of pictures but I'm struggling to find a tutorial on the RT.

Thanks!

I did one R1200RT a couple of years ago. Not my bike and I don't have pictures. My recollection is that it was simple. The trick is to find a spot where the bulkhead fitting will fit without interference outside the tank, and at the same time at a location where you can get your hand in to snug the nut on the fitting on the inside. Final tightening can be with the nut on the outside so you don't have to get the whole wrench in there and turn it.

It seems to me that there was a rectangular shaped area facing to the rear on the left rear corner of the tank. The feed came from the left front of the aux tank to a valve and then to that spot right along the subframe side rail. Take a look at this location and see if it doesn't make sense to you. I can't remember for sure but it seems to me it was the filler opening, whichever is on that left rear position on the tank. We used a straight bulkhead fitting going straight forward into the tank.

Thanks Paul.

Simple works for me. I'll pull the plastic and take a look. Pics to follow when I finally get the courage to drill.

Rick

Back