• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

URAL Quality Testing - Sort of

Liaison
Staff member
A bit tongue in cheek, but this seems like some incredible punishment these URAL rigs are taking. Impressive!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UUZOzT4F0DI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dang. That's impressive. :nod

As I get older (70) I've been thinking about a URAL. (I am not going to ride a trike.) However, after looking at that video I don't think that I - the rider - could take that much punishment.

I'm intrigued by the Ural. I know two people who have two wheel drive versions and love them. Ural has upgraded in the past few years; Brembo brakes, fuel injection and electronic ignition for example. Yet, they are still a machine that requires a great deal of tinkering and are not suited for cruising at speeds over 60 MPH (per my owner friends). One friend had many serious issues that were addressed under warranty, the other (with the updated version) has had only minor issues in the two years he's owned it. The later owner uses his off pavement a great deal.

Last edited:
I have three comments:

1. I'm curious what kind of air induction system they used to get air when the bike seemed to be completely under water except for the windshield. I didn't see the riser but there had to be one.

2. Some of that riding had to be in the "not fun" category.

3. After those 8 miles the motorcycles were returned to the factory to be scrapped or totally rebuilt.

:wave

My mouth just dropped on some of those scenes. Wow!

Well, except for this one. It looked typical of Seattle's freeways that are falling into a bit of disrepair.

URAL_Quality_Testing_Sort_of.jpg

Chris

I have three comments:

1. I'm curious what kind of air induction system they used to get air when the bike seemed to be completely under water except for the windshield. I didn't see the riser but there had to be one.

3. After those 8 miles the motorcycles were returned to the factory to be scrapped or totally rebuilt.

They obviously have the Ural accessory pack which includes a vacum cleaner hose that is duct taped to the air intake and runs up the back of the riders coat coming out at the back of his neck. This works well unless the rider takes a dunk.

I have three comments:

The air intake was piped into the trunk.
Is #3 informed knowledge or fact or a guess?

The air intake was piped into the trunk.
Is #3 informed knowledge or fact or a guess?

#3 was intended to be sarcasm. I think the bikes are tough. I don't know how long they would last under the observed conditions, but that was sarcasm, or snide envy, one or the other.

Well, I'm havin' a blast with my Dnepr/Ural conversion... I have the final drive apart right now. It's so much fun to work on.
sarcasm.gif

Remember... for all the 'latest' techno upgrades (Brembo, Nippon-Denso alt, EFI, etc) these rigs are still, essentially, 1940 technology. Russian metallurgy is not BMW equivalent, machining tolerances are not BMW-equivalent ( i.e. final drive castings are match-machined and not interchangeable), and quality-control is definitely not BMW equivalent. If you can accept a 60 mph max speed, constant maintenance, and folks forcing you off the road to get a closer look...

But this thing is a G A S to ride, especially off-highway and my rig is only 1WD.

attachment.php

But this thing is a G A S to ride, especially off-highway and my rig is only 1WD.

I read this often about Ural, and never about a bike with a sidecar.

What is so much fun about riding a Ural over other outfits?

I've been pondering buying a Ural, but wonder if I would be better off with a BMW and DMC addition; given the 1940's Russian era quality.

By "thing" I meant sidecar rigs in general I ended up with the Dnepr because that's what I could afford., and I like to tinker, modify, etc. That and $18,000 for a new Ural is not in my budget.

Quality aside for a moment, both Urals and Dneprs were manufactured as military vehicle (essentially the same motorcycle; major components are battlefield interchangeable) and are of heavier construction than BMW, i.e. the spokes are 4mm. Add to that all of them have a REVERSE gear which comes in pretty handy when trying to extricate yourself from mud, sand, snow, etc.

I'm not bashing Ural at all and their quality of the new machines is better than it was five years ago (it certainly isn't getting worse, which is sign of a good company I thin) But I would suggest that if you've never ridden, or owned, a sidecar that you take the time to seek out a dealer where you can test ride one. The market is full of used machines... folks buy a new one on a lark, drive it for a year, or less, and park it. Resale value is low, so you can find great deals on late model machines.

But your choice of marque should be based on what you intend to do with it. If you plan on cruising the interstates at 70mph, Ural is not the machine you want;DMC fits a ton of late model bikes. But if you're happy on the back roads, can handle a top speed of 60mph (55 is the sweet spot), and can handle your own routine maintenance, then Ural might be for you.

Painted on Kevin.

Copy machine, bond paper, Xacto Knife, Krylon camo colors, and "an eye". Und Bier! VIEL Bier

Camo Stencil.jpg

I have a 06 Patrol, with 20k on it. This one has been updated with functional items, this does not go on interstates and is a good performance for what it is. If you need to ride fast, use your K bike.
Mine cost 9800 in 06 and the new efi units are 17k.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back