• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yankee Beemers Moto Gymkhana

kz1000ken

www.YankeeBeemers.org

Greg made this awesome video of last years Moto Gymkhana at our Damn Yankess Rally. We'll be doing it again this summer August 3-5th in Heath Mass. Its a great rally and riders come from all over the US. Come check out out!

Todd Truex and I built a teeter totter we'll have that there too.

When I hear the term moto gymkhana, this is what I think of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDNlo507QA

Yep!
This is precisely what I modeled this event after. However I do not have a paved lot at the rally, so I used the guides from the Moto Gymkhana site to put together a course on a field with tires and very small cones.

I started by laying out this exact course. When folks on big bikes, little bikes, dirt bikes showed up, I had to modify the layout to accommodate all of them equally and what I wound up doing was giving foot-down handicaps to the larger machines, while keeping the cones pretty tight. I used a lot of tires I had for the tight course, I painted them orange.

What I learned when it started to rain is that wet grass is tough. But, its still the spirit and concept of a true pavement GymKhana setup for relatively similar machines, but adapted for a BMW rally.

I am actively looking to a parking lot I can run more formal course on, but I still need to set it up so that a G310GS and K1600LT both can enjoy the course.

One of the best parts of setting up the course was getting 6 or 8 guys on different bikes to all try it. We had a K100LT, an Slash 5, my R80RT, a wethead GS, a big Victory Cruiser and a DR 350. we had the same group of riders run the course on the different bikes and we just kept tightening it up until the Victory couldn't even make the easiest corner. My friend Todd and I built a teeter totter out of 4x4's and 2x12's that is an optional bonus at the end.

We score the course based on time, with 1 second penalties for putting a foot down, out of bounds, or contact with a cone. We give a 1 second handicap for every 300cc's over 1200 and under 650. This way a 250cc dirtbike cant be a total ringer.

It morphed a bit into a horse barrel race course, but we have a ton of fun with it. come check it out!

Course.jpg

Last edited:
Yep!
This is precisely what I modeled this event after. However I do not have a paved lot at the rally, so I used the guides from the Moto Gymkhana site to put together a course on a field with tires and very small cones.

I started by laying out this exact course. When folks on big bikes, little bikes, dirt bikes showed up, I had to modify the layout to accommodate all of them equally and what I wound up doing was giving foot-down handicaps to the larger machines, while keeping the cones pretty tight. I used a lot of tires I had for the tight course, I painted them orange.

What I learned when it started to rain is that wet grass is tough. But, its still the spirit and concept of a true pavement GymKhana setup for relatively similar machines, but adapted for a BMW rally.

I am actively looking to a parking lot I can run more formal course on, but I still need to set it up so that a G310GS and K1600LT both can enjoy the course.

One of the best parts of setting up the course was getting 6 or 8 guys on different bikes to all try it. We had a K100LT, an Slash 5, my R80RT, a wethead GS, a big Victory Cruiser and a DR 350. we had the same group of riders run the course on the different bikes and we just kept tightening it up until the Victory couldn't even make the easiest corner. My friend Todd and I built a teeter totter out of 4x4's and 2x12's that is an optional bonus at the end.

We score the course based on time, with 1 second penalties for putting a foot down, out of bounds, or contact with a cone. We give a 1 second handicap for every 300cc's over 1200 and under 650. This way a 250cc dirtbike cant be a total ringer.

It morphed a bit into a horse barrel race course, but we have a ton of fun with it. come check it out!

Course.jpg

Sounds like Fun!! I'm really interesting on it!!

Back