• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav V taking a long time to find satellites

skibumwi

G'day,

I've noticed that it can take up to 10 minutes for my Nav V to find satellites after the bike has been off and in my garage over night. I go out in the morning, back the bike out of the garage (clear view of the sky) turn it on and the Nav V will show searching for satellites for a 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer. If I remove the Nav from the cradle and perform a power cycle it will locate the satellites quickly. This seems to have started about 2 months ago and I'm wondering if this is a common issue or if I need to send it in for warranty work.

Any thoughts?

Ski

G'day,

I've noticed that it can take up to 10 minutes for my Nav V to find satellites after the bike has been off and in my garage over night. I go out in the morning, back the bike out of the garage (clear view of the sky) turn it on and the Nav V will show searching for satellites for a 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer. If I remove the Nav from the cradle and perform a power cycle it will locate the satellites quickly. This seems to have started about 2 months ago and I'm wondering if this is a common issue or if I need to send it in for warranty work.

Any thoughts?

Ski
Ski, I've had similar issues with most GPS units, over the years including the Nav-V, but not on a repeatable basis.

First, it is important to understand that the Nav-V does not turn off when you turn off the motorcycle and the screen turns off. It merely goes into "sleep mode". Not sure from your post if you were aware of that. It does have some bearing on the issue.

*** IMPORTANT- Do a full backup of your GPS prior to the following. ***

What has most often fixed it is doing a "hard reboot" (with the GPS completely off, hold down the power button until the unit cycles through a full on/off cycle). If that doesn't work the final thing to try is a "hard reset" (same as above, but with a finger on the upper right section of the screen). I believe that those are the proper sequences but Google them to be sure.

My bike is also parked in my garage, but only see this issue about once every 4-6 months at the most.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Ski - You might also check to make sure you have the latest software-operating system. The latest is: 3.40

Some GPS units have an internal memory battery that is rechargeable. The 276 Garmin had that, and if it wore out or failed, satellite acquisition could take quite some time.
I don't know if the NAV V/VI have them but it may be worth checking..... YMMV

Nav V finding satellites

G'day,

Any thoughts?

Ski

Well they are pretty high up there in space and not all that big, so no, I am not surprised that your Nav V is having a hard time finding them. Is it any easier at night? :scratch

Friedle

The software is up to date - probably should have mentioned that.

Thanks for the reset information, I'll try that when I get back home later this week.

Ski

This may or may not be related to what the OP is seeing...

I bought a Nav V last year. It worked fine for a few weeks, then it started intermittently having problems. It would stay in the "acquiring satellites" mode for extended periods of time. Sometimes, turning the ignition off then on again would get it to lock on, sometimes not. After almost a year or this, it stopped tracking altogether. I took it back to the dealer and they exchanged it for a new one, no questions asked. I have had no problems with the second one.

Regarding the first unit, I believe I was not the only one to have problems with that unit. In hindsight I realized that it had been used before. The manual was missing, the battery had been installed before I got it, and the unit computer had been initialized. I think they sold it to someone, it was returned and they sold it to me. Some of this only became clear when I opened the box on the second unit and realized what a truly new unit looked like.

refrigerado por agua azul, that is pretty poor customer service!
Sounds more like poor quality control of the process for taking back the problem unit the first time - it should not have been resold. Should have gone back to the manufacturer as a faulty unit.

I'll try the hard boot, I'm certainly not going to try and replace an internal battery on a 10 month old unit.

Had some other weird symptoms today after riding about 200 miles the "acquiring Satellites" came up and, somehow, the Bluetooth got turned off so the phone wouldn't work.

I pulled it from it's cradle, did a shutdown/restart and all was well again. Maybe I should just get a replacement unit.

Ski

I'll try the hard boot, I'm certainly not going to try and replace an internal battery on a 10 month old unit.

Had some other weird symptoms today after riding about 200 miles the "acquiring Satellites" came up and, somehow, the Bluetooth got turned off so the phone wouldn't work.

I pulled it from it's cradle, did a shutdown/restart and all was well again. Maybe I should just get a replacement unit.

Ski
Some folks have had issues with the contacts getting corroded and leading to intermittent issues. Not common but I know of it happening.
Best way to clean them is get an old pencil eraser and clean the contacts on both the GPS and the cradle, then wipe them down well with a clean cloth.

If it's only 10 months old I would ask for a new unit.
When my wife's Nav V was only a couple months old the connector for the battery corroded and the unit would not turn on, in or out of the cradle.
It was replaced with a new unit.

Some GPS units have an internal memory battery that is rechargeable. The 276 Garmin had that, and if it wore out or failed, satellite acquisition could take quite some time.
I don't know if the NAV V/VI have them but it may be worth checking..... YMMV

Yes the Nav V has a battery that can be unplugged and replaced.

Sounds more like poor quality control of the process for taking back the problem unit the first time - it should not have been resold. Should have gone back to the manufacturer as a faulty unit.

refrigerado por agua azul, that is pretty poor customer service!

I agree of course. It was mitigated somewhat by the no-questions-asked swap when I took it back, but that should never have been necessary. However, since that experience, a new motorcycle only dealer has opened closer to me. I don't have to go back to the shop that sold be the open-box GPS. They were a BMW car dealer that sold motorcycles as well for whatever that is worth. I am fortunate to have two BMW car dealers that sell BMW motorcycles as well. Plus, now one shop that sells only BMW motorcycles and seems to be trying very hard to succeed. The service manager remembers my name even though I have only had the bike in for one service, 20K km. Of course he may be helped by the fact that I am probably the only native English speaking customer that he has.

Back