• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 2610 vs 2620

2620 has a hard drive... is not conducive to moto riding. very satisfied with my 2610.

letsride88 said:
Read excellent feedback on the 2610. Anyone have the 2620? I'm interested in anyone's input.

I was the biggest proponent of the 2620, until mine crapped out. Garmin swapped it out for me, but now I only live in worry about when the hard drive is going to give out again. Get the 2610.

I bought the 2620 for use with our truck and RV before I bought my KGT. The 2620 is great in the truck, but (even after I installed a mount for it on the bike) I don't use it on the KGT because of the risk of shock damage to the hard disc. Get the 2610 or some of the newer expanded memory models for the bike.

Rusty

2003 K1200GT

what they said.

i've got the 2610 ram mounted on my r1150r. it's super. get the motorcycle kit for another $30. buy a 2GB CF card for $99. load all the maps, mount the thing on the bike, and forget about it, the thing become another appliance. it's amazing. pop it off in one second and snap it into the provided bean bag dashboard mount and hook it up with the provided cigarette lighter adapter, and whammo, youre GPSing in your automobile.

i believe garmin makes it very clear that the 2620, and other hard-drive-equipped units, are not suitable for motorcycle or other "rugged" use.

Look into the Garmin 276!

I'll be getting a 276 soon......will let folks know how it performs......any 276 users out there yet???????

Nav II / 2610 is awesome. I have taken this off-road many times and it does not phase it wvwn with the standard BMW handlebar mount with minimal shock absorbtion. If you do go with a 2620 be aware that they are being discontinued, and that Touratech have two kinds of mounts available, and one of them has extra soft mounting for off-road use. Not cheap but neither is the GPS right? Good luck.

I saw a 76c this weekend. I guess it's the little brother of the 276c. I know it's small but the screen was surprisingly easy to see. I think it's in the same price range as the Quest. Now I got more thinking to do!

The hardwire kit from BMW for the GS at least has no audio jack, maybe the kits for the bikes with sound systems have it to interface? No worries though a mono (not stereo) 2.5mm plug from Radio Shack worked fine with a 2.5 - 3.5 adapter to go into my Chatterbox AUX plug worked great...about $4.50

Last edited:
Brownie said:
I'll be getting a 276 soon......will let folks know how it performs......any 276 users out there yet???????

It's absolutely terrific!! It's considered a marine unit so it's water proof to be submerged under water for an hour and still work. That could come in handy riding in a hard rain. It includes a great mounting bracket and it easily moves from bike to car in seconds. The other thing about it is the screen is enhanced from outside light so it gets brighter in full sunlight. It almost looks like it's painted on. There's a name for this type of screen , but I can't remember it. TFT ? It will work on the motorcycle, a boat or your car. The placement and the size of the buttons can be opperated wearing gloves and the screen has a good size. There's a trip computer screen withs lots of good information, plus your speed is shown large and I end up using that to view my speed.

You'll need a memory stick to load the maps and the largest stick available for that unit is 256 meg.( it may come with a 32 meg stick? ) Depending on the state, you can load about a dozen states on one stick. Keep in mind that includes every residential and business address and every gas station, resteraunt, camp ground, hotel along with phone and address information. It's pretty amazing and calculates the routes super fast.

If you decide to get one, BMR products makes great shelves and mounting solutions and GPS City.com has great prices.

2610 is better than the 276

RTRandy said:
You'll need a memory stick to load the maps and the largest stick available for that unit is 256 meg.( it may come with a 32 meg stick? ) Depending on the state, you can load about a dozen states on one stick.

I have had no problems seeing the 2610 screen in bright sunlight. And it is not effected by rain. The 2610 uses CompactFlash cards which you can get anywhere. The 276 uses Garmin proprietary cards. A 2gig CompactFlash will hold the entire North America, much more than a few states. If you don't need all of North America, you can use smaller cards. CompactFlach cards are cheaper than Garmin cards for the 276. The total cost of ownership of the 2610 is cheaper than the 276 now that the 2610 can be found for under $600, if you need more than a few states at your fingertips.

Check out the discussion on www.i-bmw.com. Search for Garmin 276.

Last edited:
RTRandy said:
It's absolutely terrific!! It's considered a marine unit so it's water proof to be submerged under water for an hour and still work. That could come in handy riding in a hard rain.

Russ this may be a good one for the SEATAC area huh?...lol

Back