• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Don't drink the water in WV

G

GSCOOKEMNSTER

This from the WV Gazette WEb site
"Business and industry lobbyists on Wednesday resumed their push for a major weakening of West VirginiaÔÇÖs water pollution limits.

During an evening public hearing, the lobbyists strongly urged the state Environmental Quality Board to increase the amount of cancer-causing chemicals that can be dumped into state waterways.

The West Virginia Manufacturers Association and the state Chamber of Commerce repeated their call for the board to change the way pollution limits in the state are calculated
"

I think I'll stick to beer. I have a real problem with a state that wants to go backwards in keeping the environment clean. Perhaps my tourism dollars are better spent in other states.

Perhaps if the Chambers of Commerce were reminded of tourism dollars spent in WV and of dollars to be lost with nasty water, they would change their position. The industry will not change. We are going to Chemical Valley, not to be confused with the Caanan Valley nearby. Still, I do think most will enjoy Charleston.

Martini. Your certain friend in an uncertain world.

226611-M.jpg

West Virginia lives off of mining & refining and to some lesser degree chemical production. In some of the more remote areas in the southwest part of the state I've seen whole mountaintops eaten away to get at what was underneath. Riding up or down the Ohio River from Point Pleasant (btw the movie Mothman Prophesy was based on actual events from 1967) is like riding the New Jersey Turnpike with all of the chemical and refining facilities (albeit with better scenery.) Contrast that with the eastern part of the state whose rugged mountainous with broad valleys are largely empty of any industry and very low in population density (Pocahontas County, seated in Marlinton on the exquisite Rt. 219, has less than 10 people per square mile, one of the lowest population densities of any Eastern State County.)