• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schuberth Helmets

I am considering a new "flip-up" full face helmet. So how quiet [or noisy] is the Schuberth C3?

I currently have one of the older Airoh helmets, and it {IS} noisy.

Just thought I'd ask...TIA..Ron

I've used a C3 and a C3 Pro and they were both significantly quieter than the high end shoei that precedeed it. Once they form to your head they're incredibly comfortable, but on my C3 it took about a month or two before I didn't get a hotspot in the center of my forehead.

After 40k miles in mine it continues to be the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned, and the customer service is second to none. When I complained about the Mark of Schuberth on my forehead the liner was replaced free of charge with one from a C2. I understand the C3Pro liner also eliminated the pressure point.

Quiet? Well, quieter than any other I've worn over the years, but above 55mph I still wear earplugs. Over 70mph it's noisy (on my GS; other bikes might have less turbulence). After 14 years in the military I tend to be rather protective about my hearing.

Pete

I've worn my C3 for about a year now. It is quieter than any other helmet I have experience with. But I think it is still more noisy than it needs to be. I wear noise reducing earbuds all the time so that helps. But I'm playing around with the C3 as I think I may be able to make it more quiet. My wife just ordered a new C3Pro at the Rally, in Pink. But it is backordered until October so we have no experience with it.

I will say the fog insert seems to be the best I have seen as it actually has a seal around it. But they are pricey. A new one is around $100 if I remember correctly. Same with the face shield itself. All in all, I would recommend the C3 series.

Thanks all for the replies .....

I do realize that noise is subjective to many factors, I was just asking in general terms. If interested ?..current motorcycles are, R1150R w/ touring shield, & a K1200LT w/ cut down shield, going to be replaced with a Cee-Baily 16-18" haven/t decided yet. And I'm 6'1". When traveling I usually wear ear plugs. But there are times I just don't ?

So how quiet [or noisy] is the Schuberth C3?

Quiet without a number is relative. They are all noisy till you insert those earplugs.

I have had the C and now C2 and they are better than some others, but I would not use any helmet without earplugs.

Bought a pair of C3 Pro's at Overland X and rode to AK (8500mi) with them. No problems what-so-ever. Quieter than anything we've worn in the past (old Schuberth, BMW(Schu), Shoei multi, and XD Arais). We got them installed with SRC bluetooth, yes a bundle, but a system that WORKS. Often under speed I had to turn down the vol. FM worked perfectly, tho not used much. They are a VOX system so morning start up ie, yelling, is a ritual of laughter. I too liked the Pinlock, which I had never used before, and amazing, as it never fogged!! And no dribble down the inside of the shield in rain! After the 1st week we mostly stopped wearing earplugs as the 'white' noise with them was louder than without(helment is said to be 82 decibles), I too am sensitive to always using earplugs. This is the quietest and most comfortable helmet we've worn in 40 years. They do have a bit of weight but it seems to not be a problem as we don't notice it riding. I do use a GSA 1200 with Laminar Lip, am 6'4". Many will like the drop sun shield much like my old military helmet, but I found sunglasses better for me.
Allen.

I have had mine for over a year now and love it. I still can not imagine riding without earplugs though. I noticed today that the metal adjuster on the chin strap is rusting badly. I was pretty surprised at this for the price of the helmet. Anybody else experience this?

Could you please explain what you mean by it being a vox system and yelling at start up?

If you speak loudly the intercom automatically comes up. My gigglefest used to always occur when the wife would be cornering on tar snakes on a hot day. . . ;). (Thankfully a new front tire cured that set of adrenaline rushes for her. )

The Pinlocks work but there is an issue with the chin vent system on Schuberths.

If not protected by a screen when riding in heavy rain, water will penetrate the vent even when closed and be carried up inside the helmet to depost an amount of drops in the inside of the screen that interfers with vision as much as the drops on the outside. I have this issue with their full face on my RT (I do not consider it an all season helmet- not very good for hot humid weather) and the SO has it worse with her C3W on her R1100S. They are both quiet and the buetooth systems work very well.

I prefer my Shoeis (RFs or Neotec) for really hot weather..

C3 Pro - comfy and quiet

I have had a C3 Pro since spring - very comfortable since day one. Pretty quiet, but I wear foam ear plugs for anything beyond in town commuting (anything over 45 mpg). Using a Sena SMH-10/11 with a separate boom mic I can hear music and phone calls well.

I have experienced the humidity inside the shield - after riding for six straight hours in a heavy rain in Michigan - still the inside of the helmet and my head were dry.

The flip up mechanism feels very solid, more so than others I've tried. The sun shield works great and is very convenient. Ratchet neck strap is easy on / off but a pain to lock onto the typical helmet lock. You can buy a schuberth T lock adapter (which I use) but it is one more thing to do.

Air flow is good - I rode yesterday in 85F and was cool.

The main reason I purchased a C3 Pro was after trying on every make in the dealership (BMW of West Michigan) the Schuberth was the most comfortable. They also were the only brand with a demo helmet so you could try it out and also see how they break in a bit.

Overall, an excellent if exceedingly expensive helmet.

Yes on the VOX start up. You yell into the mic to talk (turns the VOX system on) or you can push a button. But don't push the wrong button or you may turn the bluetooth off! The liner is Cool Max or similer, and we found them warm in cold WX and quite comfortable in 104F in Provo/Kanab areas. I did not experience spray in the chin vent, but found it could use more air flow. As for the ear plugs, I might also state that the Adv shield with the Lip is almost RT like...wonderful air flow control and thus noise, too. Believe me, it surprised me too.
Allen.

I have created my own scale for helmet "quietness"

I consider a helmet to be quiet if you can listen to a radio station or a talking book and understand what is being said without it sounding "loud"

My Schuberth C3 fits that up to about 80km (50 mph) effective wind speed. ie 80 k in the calm, 100k with a 20k tail wind etc.

After that I can hear music if turned up

anything over 115k the music has to be too loud to listen and enjoy.

After 120-125 I need ear plugs

Lucky for me I generally travel at about 105-110 k so unless I am pushing a head wind I can generally hear my music nicely but could not listen to a radio station

That is on my F800GS with the standard windscreen and a laminar lip.

My C3 had one hot spot but is good now and love the helmet after almost 3500 miles. I did have issues with the constant fogging of the sun shade. I had to clean it every two or three days. I sent Schuberth an email and they gave me the option of replacing the shade with a like shade or with a shade with no anti-fog coating. I chose the shade with no coating and have had no problems for three weeks.
I also read on one of the forums that they have developed a new ratched system for the visor. I asked for it because the visor will no longer stay up. I received it in three days and plan on installing it this weekend.
The helmet might be quiet but I always ride with foam plugs. I already have tooo much hearing loss from serving on a Navy carrier for 2.5 years and 35 years of a fireman (those sirens can make your eyes water).
Schuberth customer reps are the best of ANY company I have every dealt with and that says a lot for my 62 years.

My two bits

I have many helmets in my day but lately have had HJC helmets for quite a while. The last being the is16 with integrated chatterbox. Worked great but was getting long of tooth. I made the mistake of trying on the C3 Pro .... Fit like a plush glove. Needless to say rode my RT home with the HJC in the pannier. The C3 Pro was the quietest helmet I've ever worn. I also got the SRC system and the sound system was light years ahead of the chatterbox.

The real reason I'm now a lifetime schuberth customer... Had a low side that turned into a high side. Got tossed like a rag doll. According to the GPS I was carrying a weee too much speed for the corner I was in says I bounced hard for around 600 feet. Earth and sky is all I saw. When it was all done according to all the Dr's ... that helmet saved my life. Just got rid of my last cast yesterday. Got my new 2014 RT on order... Should be here in mid Feb and got a new C3 Pro yesterday. Wahoooooo

Never spare a dime on your gear....and enjoy the ride!!!

Got one for Christmas!

Must have been a good boy. My first flip up was the original BMW-Schuberth system 1 back in '85, had Shoei, Airoh, and Caberg modulars since and this is by far the quietest & comfyiest right out of the box. Fit and finish is superb. The lack of noise while riding is almost un-nerving. The ventilation system is the first one I could actually feel the air flowing through the channels on the top of my head (granted, it's cold out, but I never felt it in my other helmets). The pin-lock (included) lives up to it's hype, tiny bit of fogging at stoplights but once moving it disappears, even behind a windshield. With my Caberg I had to leave the visor open a little to prevent fogging, and in 15 degree weather my face froze. The C3 I can shut the visor and stay nice and warm. Amazing. I have no interest in communication systems so can't comment on that aspect. Nifty latch mechanism works great. Drawbacks? A little tight to squeeze over my noggin, sun visor could come down another quarter inch, and of course the 7+ big ones price tag. Frankly, if this wasn't a gift I never would have tried one, but now I can't go back. Be like going back to dial up after experiencing high speed internet!

Attachments

• schub.jpg
    schub.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 626
Demo

I did not see anyone else mention it, but Schuberth does show up at dealers occasionally so you can demo any of the helmets.
I have an AGV that I should be replacing in a couple of years, and tried a couple of the Schuberth helmets for about an hour each.
My take was that they were somewhat quieter than the AGV, but definitely for me more comfortable.

However, I still plan on trying a couple of other brands. Different manufacturers seem to make helmets to different head shapes. I know people that had Schuberth's, but went to other brands because they fit their head better. And I still believe that a better fit will be quieter.

Unless somebody starts making a sealed helmet system, I think quiet is relative.

Remember, the C3 pro has numerous improvements over the C3 and C2, many in the quest to lower the db. Revzilla has a good video comparing them.

Back