• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ear Plugs, Custom Mold or Off the Shelf

magellan44

Hello,

Please excuse me if this subject has been covered many times previously. I did do a few searches but did not find the answers I was looking for.

I have used ear plugs for yrs and I've not found the perfect setup I don't think. I've considered the custom molded ones and I"ve used off the shelf ones. The most recent ones were the Etymotics purchased from Amazon. They worked well until I lost them this past weekend so I'm back to the roll up sponge ones for now.

I've read about some of the expensive ones that are custom made and have interest in them but I'm worried about loosing them or paying for something I might not like. I remember reading about a company that only visits rallies I believe they are out of California. In my case I believe a tether is necessary.

I listen to music with the use of a Cardo system with JBL speakers and I like it but I do wish at times I could hear it a bit better. The Etymotics worked pretty well. The custom ones with speakers built in peak my interest but can they be connected to my Cardo system without too much hassle. I would like to hear how that all works, do you install the plugs and have wires hanging out since you have to insert the custom plugs and then put the helmet on???? See, I'm very unfamiliar with the process.

I'd like to hear (no pun intended) from those of you that have had success in your quest for finding a setup that works for you.

Thank you and enjoy your ride

I would like to thank you all for the welcome to the site.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I've only been using the Big Ear molded ear plugs but don't have them wired...I remember when I got them, there was an option to include speakers.

If your focus is with the Cardo system, try searching the forum with google and this search term:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org ear plugs cardo

Personally speaking I have had custom plugs made and also use(d) off-the-shelf earplugs and the off-the-shelf has my preference.
Maybe my ears are very sensitive but after a few hours, the custom jobs begin to hurt whereas the store bought ones don't.
With better helmet speakers we now have these days I can hear music, intercom and gps directions just fine. YMMV

I also use the Cardo PackTalk with JBL speakers. I have a set of custom made ear plugs that I got at the Sears store in Fairbanks in 2008. If anything, they work too well and at times make understanding the intercom difficult. I’ve tried a variety of foam plugs and find they do not handle the wind noise very well. The search continues and I will try the Etymotics you mentioned. I also have a set of custom fit ear buds that I got at the Salem, OR rally. They work very well in both wind noise reduction and quality of sound for the intercom but the wires running out of the helmet cause me significant pain. I’ve tried various methods of running the wires, but all end up being painful. All my attempts with the earbuds were with a Sena communicator and I do not know if they are compatible with the Cardo. You said you were happy with the Etymotics; why not stick with them?

Magellan44, first, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you join us.

I have used both custom earplugs for years and off-the-shelf earplugs for years. I currently use the off-the-shelf plugs and now I prefer them. My custom plugs were pretty expensive (compared to off-the-shelf) and did not seem to work any better. And although the custom plugs were very comfortable for the first few months (or years), they eventually hardened and became uncomfortable. Because of the initial cost, I was always worried about misplacing the custom plugs. Now I carry two or three pairs of off-the-shelf plugs in my jacket pocket or pannier and it I lose one, it doesn't bother me. I can be a bit anal about some things and I have ruined an otherwise great motorcycle ride because I was obsessively thinking/worrying about a small detail--like a lost earplug.

Good luck.

akbeemer,

Etymotics were pretty ok after I altered the stem that you pull them out of your canal with. I would always hit the little tab when putting on my helmet so I shortened the stem. And you are correct why not stay with them, well at $20.00 a pair I hate loosing them like I just did. I would probably be pretty perturbed about loosing custom pair. I guess it's the Etymotics are pretty basic plugs and I don't understand the cost factor of them. If I could buy them in bulk and not worry about loosing $20.00 each time I forget them a gas station I would be satisfied most likely. I have a large box of foam roll up ear plugs that if I loose a pair i just open another package right and no great loss but after a half hour of the foam ones I'm ready to take my helmet off.

Thank you for the reply

I also use the Cardo PackTalk with JBL speakers. I have a set of custom made ear plugs that I got at the Sears store in Fairbanks in 2008. If anything, they work too well and at times make understanding the intercom difficult. I’ve tried a variety of foam plugs and find they do not handle the wind noise very well. The search continues and I will try the Etymotics you mentioned. I also have a set of custom fit ear buds that I got at the Salem, OR rally. They work very well in both wind noise reduction and quality of sound for the intercom but the wires running out of the helmet cause me significant pain. I’ve tried various methods of running the wires, but all end up being painful. All my attempts with the earbuds were with a Sena communicator and I do not know if they are compatible with the Cardo. You said you were happy with the Etymotics; why not stick with them?

Royce,

Are you sure we don't know each other? I am the same way about being anal and loosing things like a pair of ear plugs. We were on a 3 day 725 mile ride this past weekend and 100 miles from home I forgot my ear plugs I think at a gas station when paying inside at the counter because the station only accepted cash inside. One of those great rides when you find the old stations that have the old style pumps.

I like the Cardo so far, this is my first in helmet communication systems so I'm still learning. I've read about the custom ones with speakers and custom ones without. I'm just curious I suppose. I never thought about them hardening after time.

Thank you for the reply

Magellan44, first, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you join us.

I have used both custom earplugs for years and off-the-shelf earplugs for years. I currently use the off-the-shelf plugs and now I prefer them. My custom plugs were pretty expensive (compared to off-the-shelf) and did not seem to work any better. And although the custom plugs were very comfortable for the first few months (or years), they eventually hardened and became uncomfortable. Because of the initial cost, I was always worried about misplacing the custom plugs. Now I carry two or three pairs of off-the-shelf plugs in my jacket pocket or pannier and it I lose one, it doesn't bother me. I can be a bit anal about some things and I have ruined an otherwise great motorcycle ride because I was obsessively thinking/worrying about a small detail--like a lost earplug.

Good luck.

Omega Man,

Thank you for the reply and the welcoming. I actually joined MOA back I think in 2003 or 2004 but at some point let my membership lapse. I didn't ride or kept up with my membership for a few yrs for some unknown reason. In April I purchased another K bike and got back on the horse per se and now I'm trying to put some miles on. Purchased a 2015 K1300S with 2800 miles on it and I've at least doubled that now. I'm very excited to be back among the riding community.

I will take your advice and try the search for the info on ear plugs.

Thank you and the others who have be kind enough to reply to my post.

Welcome to the forum!

There are quite a few threads on earplugs and earplug speakers “tagged up” in the forum’s “Tag Cloud”.

A primer on usage of the Tag Cloud is here-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?75890-Do-you-ever-use-the-quot-Tag-Cloud-quot

Enjoy!

Gary

I just bought some Pinlock ear plugs (Amazon and Revzilla carry them). They are about the most comfortable I have tried and only cost about $25 for set of bot medium and large earplugs.

Joe,

That is an idea that I will call about to seek more information.

thank you for the reply;

Like a lot of people I tried a multitude of solutions for hearing protection.
The roll up foam, the bullet plugs, the "custom" molded from the guys you see at the shows, etc. None really worked very well for attenuation or comfort.
While visiting my local Sam's Club warehouse club, they have an independent kiosk fitting and selling hearing aids. I struck up a conversation with the audiologist abut hearing protection while riding. She suggested a molded/silicon solution. The protector itself has a small "protrusion" that inserts part way into the hearing canal but the material covers, and fits flush with the outer ear that is in proximity to the ear canal. Thats what seals out the noise. They are easy to install and remove and do not protrude past your ear so no hot spots or discomfort. I get many compliments on the fit and finish. The process from fitting to delivery takes about a week and cost about $80. The attached pic shows what they look like.

Good luck.

Joe

Hearing-protection-Moldable-Silicone-Earplugs-Waterproof-Silicone.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a pair of Surefire ear plugs at the rally. I had to modify them a little because the hard plastic portion hurt my ears. After cutting off the outer ring, they worked great. Enough noise reduction for comfortable riding, even on my '67 Bonnie, but not enough to make me have to turn the Packtalk Bold up to max volume.

I am replying to this topic to explain why in some cases, custom earplugs might not work.

Over the years of my riding I have had three pairs of custom made earplugs made by three different companies. Two of the companies, made replacements for me when the results were unsatisfactory.

I asked my audiologist why these pricey earplugs did not produce the results I needed for riding and the answer was in my case, my ear cartilage is too soft to keep the plugs in place.

I now use desposable Laser Light earplugs.

Welcome!

I bought a set of these "EarPeace HD Concert Ear Plugs" and compared to the foam plugs they are way more comfortable and easier to fit in my ears. Price is right at $15.
Highly satisfied:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ485XY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a nice primer on noise

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/fd03/c8804595261aa63346da51e0f3d85f6b74c0.pdf

In PA, like most states, allowable vehicle noise is specified at a distance of 50-ft. Typically, a level of 82 to 84dba is specified as allowable. If you're on or near one of those just legal machines, the sound level is ~106 dba at a 1-yd distance. According to OSHA, 15-minutes of exposure to that level will cause hearing damage.

So, it would be my suggestion to proceed with caution when choosing ear plugs with modest noise reduction levels (NRR in the US and SNR in the CE).

I am replying to this topic to explain why in some cases, custom earplugs might not work.

Over the years of my riding I have had three pairs of custom made earplugs made by three different companies. Two of the companies, made replacements for me when the results were unsatisfactory.

I asked my audiologist why these pricey earplugs did not produce the results I needed for riding and the answer was in my case, my ear cartilage is too soft to keep the plugs in place.

I now use desposable Laser Light earplugs.

I don't know if my ear cartilage is soft, but my experience of earplugs exactly mirrors that of Paul_F.

I've tried three or four custom-made earplugs since the early 80s, and none was particularly effective. I now use Moldex Pura-Fit #6844 in a dispenser of 250 that hangs on the garage wall near the bike. Very effective and when bought in quantity, very cheap.

I don't know if my ear cartilage is soft, but my experience of earplugs exactly mirrors that of Paul_F.

I've tried three or four custom-made earplugs since the early 80s, and none was particularly effective. I now use Moldex Pura-Fit #6844 in a dispenser of 250 that hangs on the garage wall near the bike. Very effective and when bought in quantity, very cheap.

A 33 NRR is hard to beat...

Back