• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rt. 50 ...... Hmmmmmmm

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
I just realized I can take old Rt. 50 all the way to Sedalia, starting on Rt. 50 about two miles from my house here in the DC area. Total is just a hair over 1,000 miles.

That could be a heck of a ride! Any other east coast denizens interested in traversing the heart of America the way people did it 75 years ago, the time before Interstates? Cincinnati and its delicious Skyline Chilli is just about halfway and would make an excellent stop for the night.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Arlington+Memorial+Bridge&daddr=38.71605,-88.07564+to:38.6120314,-89.59899+to:38.61886,-90.06218+to:Sedalia,+MO&hl=en&sll=38.896377,-77.030296&sspn=0.071877,0.132351&geocode=FXpkUQIdUEdo-w%3BFZLCTgIdiBLA-ikJnddPSilyiDEqQqrkmtz80w%3BFT8sTQId8tOo-ilpoUEkWHZ2iDFEBbMuRMEf4g%3BFexGTQIdnMKh-ikFJ5LMc6vYhzHscAMkEGtLtQ%3BFU2VTgIdG3Nx-ikrsMqgxYXDhzF1HiEO-c4dNg&oq=DC&dirflg=h&mra=ls&via=1,2,3&t=m&ie=UTF8&ll=38.891033,-85.12207&spn=11.963878,18.676758&z=5&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Arlington+Memorial+Bridge&daddr=38.71605,-88.07564+to:38.6120314,-89.59899+to:38.61886,-90.06218+to:Sedalia,+MO&hl=en&sll=38.896377,-77.030296&sspn=0.071877,0.132351&geocode=FXpkUQIdUEdo-w%3BFZLCTgIdiBLA-ikJnddPSilyiDEqQqrkmtz80w%3BFT8sTQId8tOo-ilpoUEkWHZ2iDFEBbMuRMEf4g%3BFexGTQIdnMKh-ikFJ5LMc6vYhzHscAMkEGtLtQ%3BFU2VTgIdG3Nx-ikrsMqgxYXDhzF1HiEO-c4dNg&oq=DC&dirflg=h&mra=ls&via=1,2,3&t=m&ie=UTF8&ll=38.891033,-85.12207&spn=11.963878,18.676758&z=5&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

RT 50 to Carson City, NV

For the women riders, and guests,---US Rt. 50 will take you to Carson City, NV, the weekend after the rally, for the AMA Womens Motorcycling Conference.

To "Ted"

Rt 50 could easly be one of the "Blue Highways" of William Least Heat Moon's. Allow enough time on your way to Sedalia to enjoy America's country side and people. I have had many enjoyable moments on 50.

My grandparents lived on Rt. 50 in central Illinois -- I remember as a kid riding out there in the family wagon from here before I-70 was finished. My wife and I did it in a Miata once, too.

A bit tedious dealing with some of the local traffic in parts of WVA, but otherwise an interesting, calmer route if you have the time -- in other words, not your best choice for an SS1000 ride. :D

Watch for deer

If you travel route 50, be aware the deer herd is huge and they are especially active at night. Not sure what it is like in your part of the world, but I have greatly reduced my night riding because of the deer. I have not hit any with the bike, but have hit 5 with the car in three different states...all at night.

The section of Rt 50 between western Md. and eastern Ohio has more curves per mile then the famous 'Tail de Dragon'..:thumb

JUST rode it, July:)

Leaving Bloomsburg for my CA home, crossed US50, nice riding. WVA was indeed something and even Ohio50 was a delight. MO. pretty neat, Kansas HOTUS50(114F), but better than Int.70, Colorado50 and beyond gets better with miles added going W.. Anyhow, a fresh in my mind US50 crossing:). YEP, I'd do it again cause its neater than the bigger roads anyday! Randy:thumb:usa

I am a big fan of Rt. 50 in WV, and have ridden a lot of it in OH as well. I have been looking over websites and reading (very) old road maps, the more I think about it the more I want to do it - and the more I think it needs to be a 3 full day ride. Could be a fun rolling rally ride, maybe even make it a poker run type of thing.

Rt. 50 will always stick in my mind as the place with the left/right/left/gravel/whathe????
/whyamIwakingupintheditch?and how's the bike?
That was the West Virginia section, coming down a mountain a little too hot on the R100/7 in 2003. I met some guys from the volunteer Ambulance squad, and donated 10 bucks to
their fund. I had a concussion and a sore shoulder, even with a helmet and armored gear. I lost the left bag --it was a lowside --and bent both forks up til the center stand wouldn't touch the ground. I still rode the bike home and had it patched up.
Rt. 50 is a great road, but you do have to watch some sections....'specially if you're running
25 year old style brakes....

Mac

I live just off US-50 10 mi,east of downtown Cincy. I've ridden it [east] to DC & back. And [west] to Reno & back...[not all one trip] It is a nice road. Since retiring, my hobby has become two-lane road trips...mostly of course US & State routes. So of course I DO! recommend it. BTW there are two Skyline chili parlors right on 50. One here [where I live] in Milford, and one just down the road in Fairfax. Both are east of downtown. Can't recall any on the western leg of 50.

Not sure if I'll make the rally?? If I do, 50 is the route I'll take. If I don't, and you're traveling 50, ping me & I'll meet ya for Skyline in Milford!...my treat! Make that on your way home...I just checked dates, and that is the weekend of Vintage Days @ Mid/Ohio. But I'll be back home that Monday the 23rd. V/Days is a tradition for me & a friend, so it's a can't miss!

Ron

Can't recall any on the western leg of 50.

Ron

There is a Skyline in Lawrenceburg, IN just west of Cincinnati.

I live on US50 in south central Indiana, about 100 miles west of Cincinnati. I'm going to Sedalia from Indiana via Texas, but I plan on coming home on US50.

There is a Skyline in Lawrenceburg, IN just west of Cincinnati.

I live on US50 in south central Indiana, about 100 miles west of Cincinnati. I'm going to Sedalia from Indiana via Texas, but I plan on coming home on US50.

I forgot about that one...I was thinking closer to home.....but hey!! their all good.....Yum,Yum:thumb

this sounds like the perfect way to get to Sedalia to me. i will take I-84 W from my home in NY to I-81 S through PA and pick up Rt. 50 around Winchester VA. if your looking for some company Ted count me in.

It's an historic ride. Mary and I are putting the many pieces together for riding Route U.S. 1 from upstate Maine to Key West on a 40 year old /5 in 2013 ust because it is so steeped in history. 50 is much the same. BTW, get yer t-shirt in Nevada! Nice thing about the 'stop 'n' go' ride is that you do get a chance to look around and also meet people. Enjoy! - Bob

Holt BMW in Athens,Ohio is a nice place to stop n stretch yer legs. I live on Rt 50 just outside Chillicothe,Ohio. Just keep an eye out for a 100/7 when you roll through town.

Chillecothe,Ohio memory:)

Last year, spent the late night ride in a church parking lot in Chillicothe, just on the west side of town. I rode late into midnight US50, got real tired and figured a motel just too late to waste my money. NICE big church, forgot what faith, but I spread my tarp, air matress and sleeping bag out and got 5 or 6 hours good sleep:). Thank those angels for looking over me. On my way home to CA., GSA1200. Randy

Back