• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

About that gas tank flapper ...

basketcase

What's that noise...?
Last week I rode a K11 that has the gas tank flapper removed. I put gas in it at the end of the ride, and it was kind of nice to be able to see what was going on. However, as the owner had just removed it a couple of days before, he could not offer any opinion on the real benefits of the chore (other than seeing into the tank, and putting in a bit more fuel).

Looking at my own gas cap, I don't like to think of raw fuel sloshing up into that rubber seal. But then, I know less than nothing about how that thing actually operates.

So what it the scuttlebutt on removing that flap on a '95 K11LT?

I'm wondering if it is really worth it, and if it can precipitate other problems. I sure don't want to "fix" something that is working fine, and then find myself faced with a time consuming or costly un-fix.

All insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

At max level inside the tank with the flapper removed, fuel gets very close to the internal tank breather. Enough so that when you lean into a corner at low speed, fuel will flood out the breather and (hopefully) onto the street. This is a spectacular thing to witness when riding behind someone else.......NOT!

So ...

Is it wise to remove the flapper, or not?

Having witnessed the aftermath of an explosion and gas fire years ago, I am not thrilled about the idea of being in one while riding my motorcycle.

I have read the K tech article on the IBMWR site, but it was in specific reference to a K75.

My next question would be, "If the crankcase hose is properly routed so any fuel seepage goes out onto the pavement, is it (removing the flapper) an acceptable fix on the K1100LT?"

It would be nice to get a bit more fuel in the tank. However, I'm not so hot about seeing inside that tank that I have to find a way to cull the flapper. Rather, I just get annoyed with the never-ending click and stop routine of every fillup.

The crankcase hose inside the tank is actually formed metal tubing. You might be able to deal with the problem by adding a short section of rubber hose to the metal tubing, then use a one-way valve from a dirt bike to control fuel flow out. That wouldn't be too hard.

Back