• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low Suspension Option on RT

I purchased my 09 RT in Sep 09 and the option was already in place. I believe when I started doing my research to buy the bike in 08 the option had just been added to the RT lineup.

2008. I know because I lowered my wife's 2007 and immediately saw a 2008 the next year. Still like ours better though due to retaining conventional seat and the awesome Wilbers we have installed.

I have an 09 low suspension. Its all you would expect: lower center of gravity, less clearance, lighter more nimble front end...and I have been told I actually look a lot more handsome on the low suspension--but that may not apply to you.

Pardon the ignorance but why is the front end lighter with the low suspension?

Pardon the ignorance but why is the front end lighter with the low suspension?

Not an ignorant question at all...I have not been able to figure that out and I asked everyone including the BM mechs. I do know that my friend's Regular high RT feel a lot heavier on the front end. It literally takes more effort to turn

That's wild. I've got an 06 RT and to me, it's like riding a bicycle (coming from a Harley Wide Glide at almost 700lbs...:laugh). I can't imagine the steering getting even lighter...wow!

(FWIW, I'm 5'6", 185lbs, 30" inseam...standard height RT with low heated front saddle option...can't flat foot but have gotten really good at one-footing at stoplights.)

Personally, I like the heaviness of the regular RT better than my own low suspension.
Looking back in retrospect, I should have bout an RTP and put low seat.

Well yea, comparing any other motorcycle, particular cruisers, to the RT is an unfair thing. I came off a Goldwing which I thought was a great handling machine--until I rode an RT...the Wing was then sold.

The good thing about the low suspension is that a 30 inch/seamer would be able to flat foot. I have a low seat on my low suspension and its very comfortable at stops and I do feel the difference of low center of gravity between the regular and the low suspension...I feel more 'in-the-bike' with my low suspension making a hot curve than I do with the regular...the latter, I feel like I am too much on top of the bike.

Back