• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K1300S Cruise Control

zoomie

Hi, Newbie here with a question.

I have a 2016 R1200RS that has BMW cruise control. I’m in the process of purchasing a 2013 K1300S, and I’m wondering about the cost and difficulty in adding this cruise control to the K1300S? Is this even in the realm of a DIY project?

Negative. Best feasible option is a Kaoko or Throttlemeister bar end. Obviously nowhere near true cruise control, but they work well enough to rest your hand on long trips.

Rats!
But, thanks for the input. The bike comes with Throttlemeisters. It’s nothing to break one’s crayons over, but for real cruise control is nice.

Accessory power plug out!

I have a 2015 K1300S with the stock accessory power plug on the left side near the shift assist. It used to have power. It no longer has power. These new bikes do not have fuses. I've tried re energizing by turning ignition switch on and off but to no avail. Can this be diagnosed with a Can Bus unit? Does a dealer/service shop have to fix it? Any ideas are appreciated!
:scratch

I have a 2015 K1300S with the stock accessory power plug on the left side near the shift assist. It used to have power. It no longer has power. These new bikes do not have fuses. I've tried re energizing by turning ignition switch on and off but to no avail. Can this be diagnosed with a Can Bus unit? Does a dealer/service shop have to fix it? Any ideas are appreciated!
:scratch

First step would be to access the back side of the power plug and verify that there is/is not power present on the wire. The BMW power sockets have metal pins embedded in plastic on the back side, and use of higher current draw loads (like pumps), or poor connectivity with the inserted power plug, can heat things up enough to allow the pins to disconnect from the socket, thereby prevent power from being accessible when plugging a device into the socket.

If you verify that no power is being energized to the wires feeding the socket *then* it will be time to look into CanBus diagnostics.

Best,
DeVern

I have a 2016 R1200RS that has BMW cruise control. I’m in the process of purchasing a 2013 K1300S, and I’m wondering about the cost and difficulty in adding this cruise control to the K1300S? Is this even in the realm of a DIY project?

It's been done in the past so there is hope at least. A couple of links to point you on the right direction. Good luck!

http://pirateslair.net/CruiseK1200S.htm

https://youtu.be/JM0iXSYOBgg

https://www.murphskits.com/product_...rphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=369

Kaoko

Negative. Best feasible option is a Kaoko or Throttlemeister bar end. Obviously nowhere near true cruise control, but they work well enough to rest your hand on long trips.

The Kaoko is definitely an option for this bike. If you want to see how it works, watch here...

Also, check this page for more description and information on the one for BMWs like yours --> Kaoko Throttle Lock for Select BMWs

Get in touch with us if you have questions!

The Twisted Team

I disagree, it IS possible, but a pain. Some of the r1100S group have added it to their bikes, which it was never offered. The K1200 should be possible, since other K1200 had it offered. From my research you'll need a K1200 cruise module so there is a CAN bus connection.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/1031796-bmw-cruise-control-r1100s.html

Agree. I've tried a number of different friction devices and the Kaoko is the best. The little nubs on the tightening wheel allow you to easily manipulate it even with thick gloves.

Back