• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to me R1100GS

rus23

So, there I was. Shoulder injury made me look into a more upright riding motorcycle and I found an old 1100 on marketplace. Took it out for a ride and everything seemed ok. Little oil leaks but not bad. No significant noises. Bought it and brought it home.

Changed all fluids and checked brakes and tires and all. Seemed ok. Started riding and put some miles on it. Shoulder not much better sitting more upright than my old fz1. Oil leaking on right foot after a hundred miles or so. Head gasket. Bought the parts and pulled the head. Not a big deal, I'm an aircraft mechanic and work on ga to turbine helicopters, I can handle this. Torqued head and woops, stud pulled. Pulled head and cylinder. Time sert installed, put it all back together and while doing so noticed the upper cam chain guide was loose. Figured it was held in place by something.... Started it up and lots of noise. Shut it down.

So, I think I need to split the case to fix this problem. I have a Haynes manual but they are not the best. I noticed an old post about this but the pictures are not available anymore. Something about cutting the chain guide and getting it to lock in without splitting. Does anyone have input on this?

Thanks. Looking forward to meeting some of you on the east coast.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

So, there I was. Shoulder injury made me look into a more upright riding motorcycle and I found an old 1100 on marketplace. Took it out for a ride and everything seemed ok. Little oil leaks but not bad. No significant noises. Bought it and brought it home.

Changed all fluids and checked brakes and tires and all. Seemed ok. Started riding and put some miles on it. Shoulder not much better sitting more upright than my old fz1. Oil leaking on right foot after a hundred miles or so. Head gasket. Bought the parts and pulled the head. Not a big deal, I'm an aircraft mechanic and work on ga to turbine helicopters, I can handle this. Torqued head and woops, stud pulled. Pulled head and cylinder. Time sert installed, put it all back together and while doing so noticed the upper cam chain guide was loose. Figured it was held in place by something.... Started it up and lots of noise. Shut it down.

So, I think I need to split the case to fix this problem. I have a Haynes manual but they are not the best. I noticed an old post about this but the pictures are not available anymore. Something about cutting the chain guide and getting it to lock in without splitting. Does anyone have input on this?

Thanks. Looking forward to meeting some of you on the east coast.

I'm of no help to you at all working on your R1100, but there are others here who can provide excellent advise and information. I wanted to reply to say that if this is your first BMW I would say to hang in there as you have apparently gotten one that really needs some love and a good home. When properly cared for, they are a very good bike mechanically, and they all do ride out really, really well. Welcome to the family!

I'm of no help to you at all working on your R1100, but there are others here who can provide excellent advise and information. I wanted to reply to say that if this is your first BMW I would say to hang in there as you have apparently gotten one that really needs some love and a good home. When properly cared for, they are a very good bike mechanically, and they all do ride out really, really well. Welcome to the family!
Thanks. Coming off sportbikes it's different but I like it. Really is effortless steering and a reasonable amount of power.

Back